1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rock Sliders, Yes or No?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jordan4Runnin, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    Jordan4Runnin

Jordan4Runnin [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just purchased my 2016 trail premium last night. The first thing I need to purchase is something to make it easier to get in and out of the vehicle. My wife is pregnant and 5' 8" and I know she will want something to help get in and out sooner than later. I'm curious to hear from y'all how useful the steps on rock sliders actually are.

My preference: Hefty fabworks rock sliders

Thanks in advance for y'all's thoughts and experiences.

2. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    I guess it depends on your personal expectations.

My wife is 5'2" and thinks my Shrock sliders make great steps. But I see people on here complaining that sliders suck as steps, and asking why they can't stick out more.

I think some people want a literal stair welded to the side of the rig. :notsure:

icyhotahs, 7385, Tuco S. and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

7385 and Jordan4Runnin[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:48 AM
    NotaTRD

NotaTRD It’s my wife’s 4R, she just lets me drive it

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SW SR5
    Feel free to ask
    I’m not trying to dissuade you from getting sliders, but an actual step would probably serve her much better.

For the driver and front passenger sides, my sliders (RCI with tread plate) are not useful enough as a step that I would feel comfortable with my pregnant wife using them frequently to get in and out. The HF sliders look to me like they would have the same issue.

I don’t know, maybe your wife has tiny feet, but for me there just isn’t enough real estate up front on the sliders to get a solid foothold. This is coming from someone wearing a 10.5 size shoe, so take that what it’s worth.

7385, Han4Run and Jordan4Runnin[OP] like this.
  5. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Kings Shocks, SPC UCA’s, Method MR702 rims, Toyo AT III’s in 285/70/17, Gobi Roof Rack, various Baja Designs lights.
    Welcome. If it helps and your looking for actual functionally as steps... avoid up angled sliders.. IMO.

6. Feb 9, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    Jordan4Runnin

Jordan4Runnin [OP] New Member

Member:
    I appreciate the insight! I definitely have some inner turmoil on whether I will ever find myself in a situation where I wish I had sliders. Comes down to how much my buddies will convince me to join them on the trail one weekend. Since this will be my daily driver I bet I will not be doing any serious wheeling.

7385 likes this.
  7. Feb 9, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    My wife uses my flat RSG sliders as a step every time she enters the vehicle. The step surface is plenty for me to access the roof also.

8. Feb 9, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    My wife is 5'1 and had no problem hopping up at 8 months, with a little support of course. One thing that is all too often overlooked is that sliders (real sliders) also add, God forbid, side impact protection. They help z06 corvette fenders get under the 4runner and allow the rear tire to roll over the fender and headlight

brownersd, Spydr5, johnny1019 and 3 others like this.
  9. Feb 9, 2021 at 9:56 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    It comes down to the amount of area *over* the step.

A slider is designed to be out of the way, but protect, so it sits up as closely to the body as possible, height wise. This means that the step is higher, but also closer in toward the body/door, so your entire foot can't use the step, but only your toes.

Side steps are there just for that, so they usually hang lower which makes it easier to get to; and since it's lower and spaced further from the truck's body, the usable "width" is greater, which further lends to ease of use because one can put the ball of their foot on, rather than toes.

In my surely unpopular opinion, sliders aren't meant to be steps. Sure, in today's world of consumerism and endless options (not necessarily a bad thing), most armor fabricators offer sliders that also try to serve as a step at the same time.. and for many they work very well. They look cooler than traditional steps, but still kind of function as steps, and hey.. just maybe that mall-crawler will need the slider one day. But IMO, if you really need steps, get running boards. They just work better for that. Plenty of people wheel with the more discreet running boards, too, so it's not like they're detrimental for most off-roading activities. Sliders are great as an insurance policy, but if you are careful, and not doing any rock climbing stuff, you probably won't need them. Further, if you never beat up rock sliders, but use them as steps, then the only area that will get worn will be where you step.. pretty lame if you ask me. And they will get worn, because unlike a step that's designed to be a step, complete with a hard plastic designed to be stepped on without wearing out, paint or powder coating will certainly wear out from stepping on it. Also, steps are WAY less expensive. You can probably find some running boards for $200. Replace them with sliders in a year after the baby is born.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  10. Feb 9, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    koukimonster
    Has the right idea but there are options out there for a full step as well, still up closer to the body but a wider platform...
    Dum@$$ corvette guy tried to blame me for his dumbass driving. I mean really...you didn't see this bigass tank right beside you?! I hope he triple checks next time he tries to cut across 3 lanes

koukimonster likes this.
  11. Feb 9, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    If you do so choose sliders linex and have the place sprinkle spill absorbent/kitty litter on top before the second spray
    I've had my this way for years great texture and impact resistant I've hit rocks boulders and cars with no issues I did come down on a boulder a little hard which flaked off a small dime size area but that's on me the rest has held up perfectly for 4/5 years

BionicRandy likes this.
  12. Feb 9, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Just so you can have a visual in your thread, here's a before and after on my 4R, Predator steps vs. RSG sliders:
    Predator steps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sliders:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Feb 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    Yo Gary thos look good man
    Mounted to frame or body sorry not familiar with those

14. Feb 9, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Starr

Starr Life Off the Road, off the Grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    KDSS, Baja Sport amber fogs, PRO Black wheels, BFG KO2's
    If you run in rasty terrain or even in tall grass, eventually you will bust up your delicate rocker panels below the doors. That's a thousand buck repair if you maintain your truck, and the spot most likely to get bent.
    I've suffered through this often enough, that I add side protection soon after buying a truck. Something that also makes a convenient step is a nice plus.
    For a long time, fat tubing was the only option. My older jeep and farm truck still have old style 3" tube Smittybilts that still look decent after more than 20 years.
    Sliders welded up of 3 strong but thinner tubes and some plating are a better choice. I have also run the NFAB type that have steps hanging down. These catch on rocks and end up a twisted mess instead of sliding over rock. There are custom very heavy weld on sliders and lighter ones that will save a bundle and do almost as well unless you are really bashing things up. in the end, they are all a better cheaper option than waiting till the paintwork gets dinged.

Jordan4Runnin[OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 9, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road w/KDSS in silver
    I can't speak about Hefty Fab's offering, but Shrockworks with dimpled treadplate/kickout and textured powdercoat is quite useful as a step. Can't say enough about the textured powdercoat. It provides a nice amount of bite but isn't too aggressive. I have wide feet (4E) and these are wide enough for me. I still have to be careful with my foot placement when getting out of the truck though.

Hefty Fab's website is quoting an 8-10 week lead time, and apparently they will not ship to a residential address per their FAQ page (weird). Shrockworks might have them in-stock and ready to ship, or worst case a 2 week lead time. And they will ship to a residence.

Top 3-4 pics on the right:
    https://www.shrockworks.com/5th-Gen-Toyota-4Runner-Rock-Sliders-2010-2019-pr-16256.html

Red_5, Jordan4Runnin[OP] and 7385 like this.
  16. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:35 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Frame mounted. 11 (I believe) bolts on each side, using existing threaded holes in the frame rail.
    [​IMG]

You can get them with the grip plates (serrated edges up on the holes) which really give good traction on the step plate:
    [​IMG]

solmin and Daytonaviolet like this.
  17. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:55 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    3M makes a mighty fine adhesive anti slip material. Just so happens I have a little extra if that will help in any way? It's peel back adhesive, approximately 24"X6", if memory serves me. From that, you could pattern and cut the size you'd need. PM me if you get boards and think it will help. No charge and I'll cover shipping.

RGRSTEEL, jester243, Starr and 2 others like this.
  18. Feb 9, 2021 at 8:42 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    If you don't plan on serious off roading, you don't needs sliders. If you might do that and want something that does both, check out Slee Offroad slider steps. Slee makes slider steps that are a functional step and you can jack the vehicle up with a Hi-Lift on the step. There's only 1 problem - they aren't in stock and haven't been for some time.

Jordan4Runnin[OP] likes this.
  19. Feb 10, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    If you think you'll need sliders even just for looks of them or potential usability due to strength - get sliders.

BionicRandy and Tuco S. like this.
  20. Feb 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Some reasonable comments above, but I'll bend it again slightly: if you really need steps don't get steps! Those attach to the body with 3 bolts per side. Maybe that's fine for kids and really small women, but I'm not excited about the idea of my fat coworker jumping in my truck to go to lunch and stepping on and off that thing a few hundred times, ruining my rocker panel before eventually making the step fall off. Maybe I'm just an ignorant pessimist, but if you need steps get something properly mounted. Although you'll never know if step sliders have enough surface area to work until you use them, since they are of course designed to be tucked under.

21. Feb 11, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I originally had the predator steps for the kids and wifey. But I recently updated to sliders for the extra door ding protection and other pros. I believe is well worth it. I opted for the grip holes w/ no kick out.

425E2070-72A6-4F9C-BD9E-239A1C2FCFB6.jpg
    69890E52-C7B7-4A90-B0B7-A740ABEBE88E.jpg
    96E60F6F-ACD6-4D0B-9583-D93CDB51DE35.jpg
    5E95AF30-F4EA-4C57-9A04-35C96CEE7AB1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  22. Feb 11, 2021 at 2:04 PM
    Nutmegtheref

Nutmegtheref ****

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Those look perfect.

Daytonaviolet likes this.
  23. Feb 11, 2021 at 4:57 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    upload_2021-2-11_17-56-16.jpg

7385 and Daytonaviolet[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Feb 12, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    It's actually 6 bolts (3 pairs), but I see where you are coming from. I wouldn't worry about it personally, but I feel you.

Toffees[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. May 31, 2022 at 10:29 AM
    sanch10

sanch10 New Member

Member:
    That is a great looking rig

26. May 31, 2022 at 10:32 AM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    Buy local! That way you can save money on shipping!!

27. May 31, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    achtung6

achtung6 New Member

Member:
    I have Cali Raised 0 degree sliders with rear kickout. They certainly work as steps for me and my family.

brownersd likes this.
  28. May 31, 2022 at 12:24 PM
    solmin

solmin New Member

Member:
    I have Budbuilt step sliders. They are very robust but they are mounted high like a regular sliders. Depends on your wife's height and the lift and size tires as well. If you aren't doing a lot off off-roading, I honestly don't think you need sliders. My wife is 5' tall, and she isn't very happy about the height of the sliders.

We had the steps and did trips all over the country through any national parks. Unless you plan to do many primitive roads with lots of ruts and large obstacles above the clearance (default 4runner is 9.6 inches on sr5 4x4, not including lift/bigger tires) of your vehicle, then you probably don't need sliders. A good set of sliders weighs quite a bit (mine are about 120 lbs).

If you have further questions, welcome to dm me.

29. May 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    I have some RSG sliders on order (due in July) that will replace Predator steps. I need the functionality of a step owing to bad knees and am pleased to see these photos of RSG sliders from angles that describe their possible use as a step. Thanks to GLWood and Daytonaviolet.

30. May 31, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    solmin

solmin New Member

Member:
    I'd be interesting in hearing about your experience. It is a step but it is a high step.

Products Discussed in

To Top