1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RIP 4Runner

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by Yotaholic, Apr 9, 2024.

1. May 14, 2024 at 6:48 PM
    Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited 2WD
    Window and hood deflectors, Pro-Z running boards, 20% TINT, LED lamps interior.
    Four-cylinder turbo? nope....done w/ Toyota

Sin4R, gomiami, 2Toys and 1 other person like this.
  2. May 15, 2024 at 5:01 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro

IMG_0354.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. May 15, 2024 at 5:50 AM
    4R777

4R777 New Member

Member:
    :confused:

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. May 15, 2024 at 6:10 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    Turbocharged engines are fun on the track, where you get more power out of smaller (and lighter) engine. The downside of this setup is significantly reduced reliability. This is because turbocharged engines are more complex, run hotter, put more stress on the engine block due to higher compression, and have unique modes of complete failure that are not present in the naturally aspirated engines.

For the first owner, whom is unlikely to own the car in the old age/high miles this is not a big deal. For the last owner, it is undeniably unwanted complication.

My prediction: In 15 years my 2024 4Runner will be worth more than 2025 4Runner.

5. May 15, 2024 at 6:33 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    You are adding a turbo, wastegate its associated clumbing and intercooler. Not really all that complex and its tech thats been revined for over 100 years.

I would argue that VVTi, Honda iVTEC and BMW VANOS/Valvetronic are all much more complicated systems with a lot more parts too them and none have a reputation for problems.

Yes turbos get extremely hot. Its a turbine being driven by 1000 degree exhaust gas. Its supposed to get hot. If you think that's scary dont ever look up the temperature inside the combustion chamber of a jet engine while you are flying to vacation.

Modern turbos are made out of materials that can withstand these temps and so long as the cooling system is properly designed can handle it. The bad reputation comes from 80s turbos that didn't benefit from all the advances in materials and computer controls since then. Ive posted this before but I will again suggest reading this very informative article from the Dec 2022 R&T: https://issuu.com/thomasswift/docs/road_track_-_december_2022/s/17287818

Ive never heard of a production car turbo engine cracking a cylinder liner due to compression. Not to say it hasn't happened... If you have references please share, I'd be interested to read.

Can you elaborate?

6. May 15, 2024 at 6:50 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    This issue is lubrication and thermal degradation of oil. I did not see details of the new turbocharged engine design, but I anticipate that it uses engine oil instead of using its own separate oil in a closed system. Both have downsides, shared design degrades your engine oil and separate lubrication system is additional, often neglected, maintenance item. Both are unwanted (to me) complications.

Ford Focus RS comes to mind.

7 Ways to Kill a Turbo — And How to Avoid Them

My specific concerns are potentially catastrophic effects of bad gas by causing preignition and thermal events due to lean-out as the result of clogged injectors. In a naturally aspirated engine these common failures would be an inconvenience, in a turbocharged car these have a good chance to grenade your engine. Especially when the car is driven with a flashing check engine light, as mechanically-challenged people in our lives tend to do.

TL;DR I had many turbo cars, some that I even liked, but they universally have more ways to fail and are more expensive to fix. While I can understand benefits of a turbo in a performance car, in a gasoline truck it is an unwanted and unwarranted complication. All that potential hassle for slightly better gas mileage is just poor trade off. I would rather pay more for gas.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    FlyYX likes this.
  7. May 15, 2024 at 8:23 AM
    4R777

4R777 New Member

Member:
    icebear likes this.
  8. May 15, 2024 at 10:49 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Removed DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Agreed. More complex systems will be more prone to failure. Full stop.

Here's a brief anecdote. I had 2008 Subaru STi Hatchback. For those unfamiliar with the platform it used DOHC Turbocharged 2.5L horizontally apposed "boxer" engine. Full time AWD system with front and rear LSD's. Electronically controlled center diff. Thing was an absolute hoot to drive. But holy cow they all start getting picky after a while. After 60k miles it started having vacuum issues, boost leaks, rich codes, lean codes. The thing leaned out one day and cracked a ring land. I didn't know until a couple weeks later. Burnt through 3 quarts of oil in two weeks and spun a rod bearing.

I replaced the engine with a new factory block and crank. Upgraded to forged pistons, rods and ARP head studs. Rebuilt the heads. When I put it back together I upgraded the fuel system to prevent any fueling issues and familiarized myself with Subaru's open source tuning software. Thing was making about 350 lb-ft of torque at the wheels on the dyno. Kept it for another couple years in that configuration before selling it for something else. It was more reliable after allll that work than it ever was in stock configuration. Took a ton of work to get there and I really did not want to do it again. Got really tired of working in the garage and not driving.

It was a ton of fun.... But also a lot of maintenance and wrenching.
    It was certainly one of the motivating factors for me buying the 4Runner. Tried and true old tech. Less moving parts means less opportunity for issues.

I'm sure Toyota did their homework and 95% of these powertrains will survive their warranty period without issue. But I'm afraid that these legendary "million mile" engines are a thing of the past.

9. May 15, 2024 at 10:58 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Dumb thread

Thatbassguy and icebear like this.
  10. May 15, 2024 at 2:24 PM
    Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited 2WD
    Window and hood deflectors, Pro-Z running boards, 20% TINT, LED lamps interior.
    And yet here you are in the 13th page posting in the thread

11. May 15, 2024 at 6:38 PM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    With a naturally aspirated engine you'd just be down on power. People just don't understand how 'balanced on the edge of doom' turbo engines are. Then some people end up tuning them for more power, because it is next owner's problem. All while doing 10K oil change intervals.

Another, similar example - LSPI.

How low-speed pre-ignition can damage your direct-injection turbo engine

12. May 15, 2024 at 6:42 PM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    You reading the reports of all the turbo engines in the tundra blowing up?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. May 15, 2024 at 7:03 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Why not?

Yeah, you're right... there certainly haven't been any reliable turbo motors.

:rolleyes:

yup

The engines are blowing up?

Can you provide a single link to any situation where the engine had blown up?

Edit: If the engines really are failing, I take this back. I was only aware of the wastegate issue.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    2016Pro[QUOTED] and gomiami like this.
  14. May 15, 2024 at 7:17 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Do semis make you nervous, then? ;)

15. May 15, 2024 at 7:25 PM
    djwantke

djwantke New Member

Member:
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bought brand new 2016 After May 2021: -Approx 3" lift/level: Bilstein 5100's, OME 2884 590lb 3" front lift springs, SPC UCA's, ICON 158506 2" lift rear coils, diff drop -Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT285/70R17 Load E -Mickey Thompson Sidebiter ll 17x9, 0 offset, 5 backspace -Pro Comp black spline lugs ^installed by 4WheelParts^ -New brakes and rotors by brake shop -4-piece ARB skid kit -Smittybilt 2" nerf steps -MBRP black exhaust tip, chopped OEM -Drivers side OEM FJ oh shit handle -All blacked out emblems -Blacked out roof rails -4x WeatherTech window rain guards -OEM custom rear mud flap deletes -KICK BACK MUD FLAPS 12" WIDE - BLACK TOP AND BLACK WEIGHT -FRAM EXTRA GUARD CA10835 engine air filter -1797 LED tricolor fog bulbs Yellow 3000K White 6000K Blue 15000K 28W 4000LM -Armour paint lower rear bumper -Front bumper high stage high clearance cut -Fenders cut straight across, pink reservoir sprayed black -4Runner Lifestyle sequential fog fangs -4Runner Lifestyle smoked taillight decals -Pedal Commander -Rear passenger cargo mounted 120v truck tire pump -4x Spidertrax 1.25" black aluminum wheel spacers -Yota Twins Paracord Hatch Strap sand camo -Teton Workshop hard anodized matte black aluminum shift knob -Ditch flood lights 4 LED 20w 1400lm w/ OEM hood mounts on OEM style dash switch -Backup flood lights under bumper 6 LED 18w 1500lm on OEM style dash switch -Body Mount Chop; cut, weld, paint -Fender mount chop, re-weld, paint -Fender Liner cut behind wheel (I cut liner in front of wheel clean off at top of viper cut) -Wheel well firewall hammering, painting ^done by Arc One Industries^ -valance cap trim -Agency6 Black Shackle Block 2" US Certified 6061 T6 CNC machined aluminum -DRT fab universal hitch skid -ACDelco inner tie rods, outer tie rods, bellows -Full Dr. KDSS switch kit -March 31 Behind grille 13-1/4" 32 LED light bar + wide-angle, eagle-eye lens 6000lm on OEM style dash switch -RAA Powder coated steel roof rack cargo basket, 1" side rails, 64" x 39" x 6", 250lb limit -roof gas can, water can, shovel -PEAKTOW PTT0063 Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 51-1/2 x 17-1/2 x 4 inches 500 lbs. Capacity (trips only) -July/2023: purchased first needed SPC balljoint replacement kit - newly released, upgraded non-zerk sealed joints 25002 -July 15/2023: The Original Universal EZ Flares, 1". All four corners -Dec. 2023: removed bumper cover and crash bar, drilled frame, installed Apex Overland KDSS Recovery Points -Jan. 2024: SPC balljoint replacement kit - upgraded non-zerk sealed joint design 25002 -Feb. 3/ 2024: 4x KC Wire Hiders, for roof rack lighting Feb. 13/2024: New ditch lights, on new Rago Fabrication Extension brackets. 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Replacing 3inch EVERGEAR clear lens ditch light pods w/ yellow lamix-x In progress: 4th, 5th, and 6th set of off road lights Electrical components and wiring purchased, not started -roof rack scene lighting - EVERGEAR ea. 1,350 lumens, 30w, 3-¾" round floods. Custom, side mounted w/ galvanized flat bar And -roof rack upper ditch lights - 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to front corners And -roof rack reverse amber pods / secondary hazard lights. 20W 2000Lm 2-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to rear side And -roof rack F1 smoked chase light w/ lighting effects. Custom bolted to rear side -POR15 rust proofing line-up, 3-step process PAUSED until 70⁰ weather Bought, in the garage queue: -BlueFire 6-Circuit Fuse Block with LED Indicator & Protection Cover -Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker w/ reset lever -Rust prevention •New can POR15, 2x Black Fluid Film, long spray nozzle attachments, 2x PB Surface Shield, 1x Chainwax •partially used POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep Wanted - PerryParts or Wheelers bump stops, self fabricated limb risers (seasonal, removable), 1" body lift, powder coated center winch bumper w/ large bar (got no tss), rear steel bumper w/ tire carrier for an LT285 Kumho on steely, sliders, bolt on cat shields
  16. May 15, 2024 at 7:25 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    It would certainly be stressful, with that underpowered engine constantly being pushed to the brink of failure by the turbo.

17. May 15, 2024 at 7:28 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Those guys must get annoyed with those unreliable turbo motors constantly failing.

18. May 15, 2024 at 7:47 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    No reason to concede. You have good points. I'm just not worried about the turbo 2.4.. yet.

I personally don't see anything wrong with using a turbo to make extra power when needed, especially if the engine is designed for boost.

When you really think about the parts that see the most stress, an I4 could potentially be stronger than a V6. Just like the best turbo diesels are generally I6's, until you get into really big stuff.

akakaiser and gomiami like this.
  19. May 15, 2024 at 8:06 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Why not give them a show? :notsure:

I'm just here for entertainment, and to hear different opinions.

20. May 15, 2024 at 8:06 PM
    Naville

Naville New Member

Member:
    GoMiami

Not so fast. Hang in there...

Almost all Semis worldwide are turbo-diesels. Diesels! That’s a big difference. You might want to fill up your tank watching this video to understand why Turbos and Diesels work so well together.

In fact, they work so well together that in almost every geography on this planet (except N America) the new Landcruiser 250, for example, is being sold with a 2.8l Turbo-Diesel and not a 4 banger gasoline turbo engine. Because Toyota knows better and you guys who have doubts about the gas turbo power plant have the same doubts Toyota has. If it is go great, why won’t Toyota sell the 4 cylinder ANYWHERE? LoL. This is a very enlightened thread. Keep questioning…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqMyg_jJc1k

21. May 15, 2024 at 8:14 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Oh, boy, we've awakened chatgpt

:rofl:

You'd also have to be basing all of your opinions on the interests of your campaign contributors rather than facts for that to be true.

gomiami likes this.
  22. May 15, 2024 at 8:23 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I'm not really sure how to take that, especially since I was technically a "Teamster" briefly in the late '90's when I was loading airplane bellies and aircraft containers for UPS.

gomiami likes this.
  23. May 15, 2024 at 8:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Probably under an airport runway somewhere.

24. May 15, 2024 at 8:45 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    Everybody knows that he is buried in the endzone of MetLife Stadium where the Giants play... :eek:

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] and gomiami like this.
  25. May 15, 2024 at 9:05 PM
    djwantke

djwantke New Member

Member:
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bought brand new 2016 After May 2021: -Approx 3" lift/level: Bilstein 5100's, OME 2884 590lb 3" front lift springs, SPC UCA's, ICON 158506 2" lift rear coils, diff drop -Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT285/70R17 Load E -Mickey Thompson Sidebiter ll 17x9, 0 offset, 5 backspace -Pro Comp black spline lugs ^installed by 4WheelParts^ -New brakes and rotors by brake shop -4-piece ARB skid kit -Smittybilt 2" nerf steps -MBRP black exhaust tip, chopped OEM -Drivers side OEM FJ oh shit handle -All blacked out emblems -Blacked out roof rails -4x WeatherTech window rain guards -OEM custom rear mud flap deletes -KICK BACK MUD FLAPS 12" WIDE - BLACK TOP AND BLACK WEIGHT -FRAM EXTRA GUARD CA10835 engine air filter -1797 LED tricolor fog bulbs Yellow 3000K White 6000K Blue 15000K 28W 4000LM -Armour paint lower rear bumper -Front bumper high stage high clearance cut -Fenders cut straight across, pink reservoir sprayed black -4Runner Lifestyle sequential fog fangs -4Runner Lifestyle smoked taillight decals -Pedal Commander -Rear passenger cargo mounted 120v truck tire pump -4x Spidertrax 1.25" black aluminum wheel spacers -Yota Twins Paracord Hatch Strap sand camo -Teton Workshop hard anodized matte black aluminum shift knob -Ditch flood lights 4 LED 20w 1400lm w/ OEM hood mounts on OEM style dash switch -Backup flood lights under bumper 6 LED 18w 1500lm on OEM style dash switch -Body Mount Chop; cut, weld, paint -Fender mount chop, re-weld, paint -Fender Liner cut behind wheel (I cut liner in front of wheel clean off at top of viper cut) -Wheel well firewall hammering, painting ^done by Arc One Industries^ -valance cap trim -Agency6 Black Shackle Block 2" US Certified 6061 T6 CNC machined aluminum -DRT fab universal hitch skid -ACDelco inner tie rods, outer tie rods, bellows -Full Dr. KDSS switch kit -March 31 Behind grille 13-1/4" 32 LED light bar + wide-angle, eagle-eye lens 6000lm on OEM style dash switch -RAA Powder coated steel roof rack cargo basket, 1" side rails, 64" x 39" x 6", 250lb limit -roof gas can, water can, shovel -PEAKTOW PTT0063 Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 51-1/2 x 17-1/2 x 4 inches 500 lbs. Capacity (trips only) -July/2023: purchased first needed SPC balljoint replacement kit - newly released, upgraded non-zerk sealed joints 25002 -July 15/2023: The Original Universal EZ Flares, 1". All four corners -Dec. 2023: removed bumper cover and crash bar, drilled frame, installed Apex Overland KDSS Recovery Points -Jan. 2024: SPC balljoint replacement kit - upgraded non-zerk sealed joint design 25002 -Feb. 3/ 2024: 4x KC Wire Hiders, for roof rack lighting Feb. 13/2024: New ditch lights, on new Rago Fabrication Extension brackets. 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Replacing 3inch EVERGEAR clear lens ditch light pods w/ yellow lamix-x In progress: 4th, 5th, and 6th set of off road lights Electrical components and wiring purchased, not started -roof rack scene lighting - EVERGEAR ea. 1,350 lumens, 30w, 3-¾" round floods. Custom, side mounted w/ galvanized flat bar And -roof rack upper ditch lights - 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to front corners And -roof rack reverse amber pods / secondary hazard lights. 20W 2000Lm 2-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to rear side And -roof rack F1 smoked chase light w/ lighting effects. Custom bolted to rear side -POR15 rust proofing line-up, 3-step process PAUSED until 70⁰ weather Bought, in the garage queue: -BlueFire 6-Circuit Fuse Block with LED Indicator & Protection Cover -Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker w/ reset lever -Rust prevention •New can POR15, 2x Black Fluid Film, long spray nozzle attachments, 2x PB Surface Shield, 1x Chainwax •partially used POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep Wanted - PerryParts or Wheelers bump stops, self fabricated limb risers (seasonal, removable), 1" body lift, powder coated center winch bumper w/ large bar (got no tss), rear steel bumper w/ tire carrier for an LT285 Kumho on steely, sliders, bolt on cat shields
    Both sides have been valid
    Any of ya‘ll ever debated too much and got banned :rofl:

26. May 15, 2024 at 9:34 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Semis are diesel, diesel motors are way more robust, they are built differently. These cheap 4 bangers in regular cars are not bulit at that level. Come on dude, what is so hard for you to understand?

Sin4R, 2Toys and (deleted member) like this.
  27. May 15, 2024 at 9:39 PM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    For Cummins it is normal to last at least 600k miles, HARD HARD miles. For gas motors that is a huge thing. Diesels are just built different, they can deal with turbochargers. If you build a turbo gas at that level of quality, they won't be cheap anymore.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    Sin4R, 2Toys and (deleted member) like this.
  28. May 16, 2024 at 2:57 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    This motor was specifically designed for turbo charging. They didn't just slap a turbo on some economy car 4 cylinder.

Come on, dude, why is that so hard for you to understand?

2016Pro likes this.
  29. May 16, 2024 at 3:02 AM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Drivers idle the crap out of the Semis, like all night every night. And they are too busy for oil changes, it will be a lucky Semi to have an oil change every 20,000 miles. Yet those things run for a million miles or two. You cannot give the example of Semi trucks here, and of HD diesel trucks for that matter. Those are entirely different animals.
    Maybe Toyota turbos are better, I will give you that. But they are no diesel. They won't make any profit if they build them like diesel.

30. May 16, 2024 at 3:19 AM
    Yotaholic

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Price of a Cummins in the Peterbilt. These things are next level, overbuilt stuff. None of car companies will build a super solid turbo 4 banger, they have to make a profit after all. Durability is not the most important criteria anymore. They want to reduce weight with plastic and all the other nonsense and all that hurts longevity

20240516_031158.jpg

Sin4R likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top