1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repaired Bumper Dent

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by 4R777, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Mar 23, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    4R777

4R777 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long story short. Driving to go snowboarding. 4W engaged. Low gear engaged. Tire tread looking good and snow chains not installed. Came up to top of hill and started down. Tapped my brake just for a split second because of dangerous curve at bottom of hill, where ice usually is (I know this road well). Soon as I tapped my brake, I went sliding on black ice and into a snowbank. Luckily I was going really slow but my right side went into the snowbank on the side of the road. About 5m later, two more vehicles come down the road and same happened to them except they collided into each other, before each hitting the snow bank.

Been up this road over 100x in the snow and never had a problem. Good reminder that you just never know.

Tools
    10mm socket and ratchet
    Hammer of some kind
    Heat gun (or boiling hot water)
    Towels
    Phillips or flathead screwdriver
    Claw grip screwdriver (for removing plastic clips)

The collision with snow dented my rear bumper pretty good. So I took my rear bumper off and fixed.

Remove Bumper
    To get it off, it's pretty easy. First, take off rear mud flaps. Easy enough. Bolts are very visible. Then pull off the weather stripping along the bottom edge of the rear hatch. Lay down some towels in your rear hatch to keep the black goo from weather stripping from getting all over your rear hatch.

Lots of bolts and clips hold on mud flaps and bumper, and the bolts come in four different flavors, even though all are 10mm. Keep track of which ones go in which holes.

Also, there is a semi-hidden screw on the upper left and upper right of the bumper. After you remove mud flaps, look in the wheel well and spy the gap between the bumper and your frame. Long socket helps to get these two screws out.

Also, when removing the six black bolts on the rear of the bumper in the rear door jam, notice they each have a metal washer and fat rubber washer as well. Some of rubber washers were stuck to the bumper so I left them on there. But when I washed the bumper on the lawn, the remaining washers stuck to the bumper went flying and I had to search for them in the grass.

Got my bumper off and laid some towels on the driveway. Next, I boiled two pots of water. Poured the boiling water slowly, on the inside of the my bumper, all around where the dent is. Then used my foot to push the bumper back out into place. It's not perfect, but it will definitely suffice.

Then I noticed the frame metal underneath was also damaged slightly but can't do anything about that. But I did take a small sledge hammer and bang some of it back into place. There is a clip that the bottom edge of the bumper attaches too on the left and right side of the vehicle, and this clip is connected to a metal bracket coming off the frame (red arrow). The frame and the metal bracket needed bending back into place.

Took about 1hr.

Before

bumputer.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    after.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Hwnrunner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top