1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RED LINE OIL, TRANSMISSION ANSD TRANSFER CASE...

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by NightOwl, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Sep 21, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    NightOwl

NightOwl [OP] 1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX 22REC

Member:
    First Name:
    Amos
    Ballwin, MO
    Vehicle:
    1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX
    LCE header, 2.5 inch exhaust, 31x 10.50 BF Goodrich, 15 X 8 aluminum wheels, Bilstein Shocks, 3 inch lift kit, 3M fender flares
    I know I'm a nuisance now...but I have learned some things that are possibly helpful for 85 4 Runners....I've tried multiple oils...and the only one that really works the best...this is after many years is Red Line. I have changed all (engine, transmission, transfer case and differentials...Red Line made my transmission with 312,000 shift like glass, my differentials when on a turn use to growl but don't any more and I can shift my transfer case lie never before...not to mention my engine in the winter doesn't clatter like it did with other full synthetic or even the classic non synthetic oils...just food for thought...I know Red Line is expensive but it is worth the smoother shifting and by far less noise I had with other oils...any thoughts are welcome if you have experienced the same...after doing frame up restorations on a 64 Chevelle, 67 Chevelle and 70 Nova...I won't give up my 4 Runner...I get more compliments on it and have more fun with it than any of the other three...these 4 Runners are Awesome!!!...I am 64 years old and while new here I am still an old gear head and love it!!!

2. Sep 21, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    I've ran redline for years in my two stroke dirtbikes, never in a vehicle though. I will have to give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation!

3. Sep 21, 2019 at 8:19 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I always liked red-line water wetter. It’s the antifreeze additive that aids cooling...

To Top