1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Red Line Lubricants and 1st Generation 4 Runner

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by NightOwl, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Mar 3, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    NightOwl

NightOwl [OP] 1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX 22REC

Member:
    First Name:
    Amos
    Ballwin, MO
    Vehicle:
    1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX
    LCE header, 2.5 inch exhaust, 31x 10.50 BF Goodrich, 15 X 8 aluminum wheels, Bilstein Shocks, 3 inch lift kit, 3M fender flares
    Ok...so I just posted a a new Post on lubricants for 1st Gen's...my ambition here is to find something newer that has better results than my "Red Line" I changed to 4 years ago...after trying a plethora of different "Best Lubricants"...or what I thought.
    This is my experience: I went to 100% Mobil One on my engine , transmission, transfer case and differentials...for what ever reason my engine clatterd on cold starts, my differentials growled on turns and my 5 speed manual wouldn't shift as well as my going from 2 Hi to 4 Hi and even 4 low...WTF...I loved this oil for all of my frame up restorations...64 Chevelle, 67 Chevelle, and 70 Nova...I was devastated. I even used it on my 1980 Bronco with Granny low transmission...worked Great on all...so I put it in my 1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX 22REC and it was terrible. It clattered like main bearings were dry, couldn't shift and would growl on turns and I couldn't get it out of 4 Hi to 2 Hi...So a Ford mechanic friend said use Red Line...I did...I changed all 4 years ago and cold starts are smooth, shifting is smooth and making turns no differential growls and I can shift comfortably from 4 Low to 4 Hi and even into 2 Hi without doing the "Jeep" S turns...(I had a 1978 Jeep V8 I loved that I couldn't get out of 4 wheel drive without doing the S's...in reverse ) Holy Shit...so I am looking to see what you guys and girls have experienced...Long read I know but I wanted you to understand my progress and maybe it will help you too!!! Be well and NEVER sell your 1st Gen...they're Golden...read Hagerty Insurance and what they say...Prices are going up and we are a rare breed...plus they are such an incredible truck!!! Be well my friends...Amos

SlvrSlug likes this.
To Top