1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear wiper/washer issues

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Cjk0356, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Jan 1, 2022 at 4:24 PM
    Cjk0356

Cjk0356 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi. 2005 limited owner (4th generation vehicle). About 2 years ago, I had non functioning rear wiper and washer. Determined rear window was slightly open. Raised it, problem fixed. However the rear window mechanism was broken so I had to fix it such that it was permanently raised …..and I disabled the window switch on the dash so no-one could inadvertently try to lower it. Problem solved. Wiper and washed worked fine.

Last week, wiper and washer again not working. I noticed the rear window wasn’t straight; one side was down about half inch. I discovered my fix to keep it permanently closed had broken. Thought I would just raise it again and problem fixed. Nope. Even though window is up (and now cannot be lowered), the wiper and washer don’t work. Electric lock works fine. Now to my question. Is the window “closed” condition done mechanically (via a switch somewhere that I can’t find) or is it done logically in the control module located in the rear door. If handled logically, how can I trick the computer to think the window is closed. Or could this be a completely different issue. Thanks everyone

2. Jan 1, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Are you able to manipulate the broken window mechanism so that it is in the fully closed position?

I'm not sure what triggers the open/closed sensor, but I think it's in the mechanism itself. I think it's electronic, because I seem to remember the auto open/close feature not working after removing the battery for extended periods. The motor had to relearn by manually opening and closing the window several times.

3. Jan 1, 2022 at 5:59 PM
    Cjk0356

Cjk0356 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the open close mechanism as well as the glass are mechanically in the fully closed position. My fear is that the software won’t recognize it as closed unless the window itself is opened and closed (perhaps a few times). That’s my catch 22. I can’t open and close it anymore…..which is why I’d like to know if anyone can suggest a way to deceive the computer into thinking it’s closed. (Shorting 2 wires, removing a contact, removing power from the close motor etc ??)

4. Feb 2, 2024 at 1:30 PM
    snyoung678

snyoung678 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 4RUNNER SR5
    I am having the same problem. Did you solve your problem,? If so, how?

Products Discussed in

To Top