1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear tailgate latch is broken

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Trekker, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Mar 21, 2021 at 10:19 PM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I was trying to open the rear hatch, and it wouldn't open. The outside handle that opens the trunk is broken, its like its locked. Even with the key twisted to unlock it refuses to open. I think that something inside is broken (probably a cheap plastic part).

The rest of the car works fine, including the rear window. Is there some way to open the tailgate from the inside? And how can I fix this issue?

2. Mar 23, 2021 at 10:35 PM
    Trekker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
  3. Mar 24, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    mem4runner

mem4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Base 4cyl. 5spd, 2019 TRD OR
    Is it possible to get the interior panel off the rear hatch while it's closed? This may be a long shot, but maybe look into the how-to's on the "Lemme out mod" and see if it sheds any light on how to access it.

4. Mar 24, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Yes, you can get the panel off with the door closed. Plenty of room to do that, as long as you're not too tall sitting down. Put the back seats down, climb right in. No sweat :D

Good luck!
    Pat☺

Trekker[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM
    bdrew

bdrew New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon Drew
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen MT SR5
    Green 1998 Manual Trans SR5 4x4
    Let me know how this works out for you..... I've got the same issue with mine rite now...

6. Mar 26, 2021 at 6:55 PM
    Trekker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I'll hopefully get to looking at it tomorrow if the weather will cooperate and be above 40

7. Mar 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    Trekker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Okay I fixed it. The handle is connected to the latch first with a metal rod then a cable that runs down to the latch. The rod interacts with the handle and it is held in place with a bracket that is secured to the hatch itself with 2 nuts. On mine one of the nuts came out and the bracket was able to swing out of reach of the handle and make the whole system useless.

Be careful with the removal of the back plastic panel. I got a bit forceful and it cracked :censored:, hopefully superglue will be a good enough bodge that it isn't noticeable. The panel is held in with around 10 clips that you have to pry away, but it is difficult to get a good angle. Surprisingly the top ones are the most difficult. I suggest that you start by pulling the panel away through the hole left by the little strap thing that you have to remove.

8. Mar 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    The FSM says to put electrical tape on a standard screwdriver, and use that to pry each clip loose. It's a good idea to buy a bunch of new clips. After so many years, they get brittle and break pretty easy.

For the broken plastic panel, another possibility to glue it back together is that Testor's Model cement. The stuff every kid uses to make model airplanes, cars, and so on. Red and white tube. The stuff is made for plastic-to-plastic connections. It actually melts the places it's applied to, so they merge together. Then it let's them harden again as a single piece. Just be sure to wipe any excess off, or it looks like crap. :thumbsup:
    I use it for plastic all the time. Works great! I did a tail light lens on my 87 4Runner, and you can hardly tell there was a crack in it.

Good luck!
    Pat☺

9. Mar 28, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    Trekker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I ended up taping over the front of the crack so glue wouldn't make a mess on the front and applying super glue to the back and pushing the two pieces together to make the glue hold when the crack was the least noticeable.

You can still see a hairline crack but I don't see it coming apart, might replace the piece if I come across a replacement for the right price. I also want to do some other repairs and maintenance while I have it apart. My window squeaks when I put it down, is there anything I should lubricate while I have it apart?

10. Mar 29, 2021 at 12:19 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Lubricate everything that's "supposed to move" is my motto. Not with WD-40 as it evaporates. White Lithium grease is my go-to. or 3-1 oil. or whatever is in the grease gun.

11. Mar 29, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    Yep!
    At the VERY least, grease up the "regulator" real good. The gear teeth, and the track the little rollers run in. If you see anywhere there's wear from rubbing on something, grease that too.
    Where did Toyota ever come up with that, anyway? A window regulator?

Also, check all...ALL...the wires running around in there. Cracks in the insulation, loose connector pins, and so forth. I put a little dielectric grease into any connector I take apart before I put them back together. It keeps out the gunk that can screw up electrical connections.

Have fun!
    Pat☺

Products Discussed in

To Top