1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear hatch leaks, need help lots of dust

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by rlporter507, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Oct 5, 2020 at 5:13 PM
    rlporter507

rlporter507 [OP] New Member

Member:
    has anyone had this problem? i did 20 miles of dirt road, and there's dust all over in the cargo area and rear seat. 2018, seams its leaking at the hatch door, its the bottom left corner, and the right side, just up from the corner. will moving the latch at the bottom forward a little make the door seal tighter?????

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020 at 4:15 PM
  2. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:13 PM
    rlporter507

Member:
    Now im thinking there might be one of those rubber flap doors under the bumper thats a pressure release for the inside, could the dust get in there???
    I cant be the only one with a dusty cargo area, i see lots of pic on dirt roads.????????

3. Oct 15, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    jmkulbeth

jmkulbeth New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey (KE5HDB)
    Outside St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Offroad Premium, Nautical Blue
    Bone stock!
    I hit some dusty Forest Service trails last weekend didn't have this problem. Then again, my 4Runner is just over 1000 miles old. I had shovelfuls of dust along the rear bumper edge leading into the cabin, but it never made it past the weather-stripping.

Things to consider:
    1. Check the weather seal around the liftgate. If it has been pinched or torn or something is stuck in the way (antenna cable, leaves, etc), that'll let dust in. I had massive amounts of dust in that area, but it never entered the vehicle.
    2. You might try running the fan with air recycling off. That'll increase the cabin pressure a bit and can mitigate incoming dust. Turning off recycling sounds counterintuitive, but with air recycling off you are pulling air from the outside and it needs to find a way back out of the vehicle, which will be where the weather stripping is weak or through vents.
    3. I wouldn't recommend adjusting the liftgate for a dust problem unless the liftgate is actually out of adjustment. In my experience with doors, they're not the easiest things to get right, but are very easy to get wrong.
    I'd focus on the weather-stripping around the liftgate. If that seal isn't good, dust and water will enter.

You can try checking the weather-stripping a couple of ways. Crawl in the back, close the liftgate, and have someone blast around the liftgate with a garden hose and sprayer. Or, instead of a hose, light up a cigarette/cigar/pipe, take a big draw, and blow the smoke around the liftgate and watch from the inside. Once you find where it's coming in you can inspect that part of the weather-stripping and see what to do. On past vehicles I've used generic foam weather-strip from the hardware store to help the factory weather stripping when it wasn't doing the job anymore.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    Snickel Fritz likes this.
  4. Oct 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    My money is on the back window being open 1/8". Pretty easy to accidentally hit that button.

5. Oct 15, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    rlporter507

Member:
    thanks for the idea, i can see 2 small places where the weather stripping touches the body that has dust all the way across, and not a clean line where it seals. as mentioned bottom left and right middle. i do run with the outside air closed, and i just checked the window, and it is closed. i dont open it much. i will try having the fan on next time to increase cabin pressure, but im sure there is a flap valve somewhere to let it escape. there is on my camry, and i had to tape that one closed to keep dust out of the trunk. i called the dealer, and they said its common and wouldnt do anything about it. but next time it does it, ill leave it dusty so they can see the gasket, and demand a new one. its still under warranty, and i have the 10 year also. if all else fails, ill find something flat and spongy on ebay and stick it on the body to increase pressure on the hatch gasket. i understand about getting doors back into place, it must be an art, took of the doors and hood on my ford truck, and never got it back even or straight.

6. Oct 15, 2020 at 2:52 PM
    jmkulbeth

jmkulbeth New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey (KE5HDB)
    Outside St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Offroad Premium, Nautical Blue
    Bone stock!
    After a few hours on dirt roads I expected to find all kinds of dust inside. The amount of dust that collected over the rear bumper and under the liftgate was pretty impressive, but it didn't make it in.

Here's what I used on my Jeep -- I was forever chasing rain leaks on that thing. A trip through Home Depot, Lowes, or your favorite hardware store probably has this, or something similar. 10 feet for about $9 or so and it has an adhesive backing so it's easy to apply, and it's easy to remove if you hate it.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...-Auto-and-Marine-Weatherstrip-01033/100175299

7. Oct 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    rlporter507

Member:
    yep, i can see that will work. in a couple years, i plan on living on a dirt road, so i really want to get this fixed.

8. Oct 15, 2020 at 3:02 PM
    Huzer21

Huzer21 New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5P
    Still under warranty? Take it in. You shouldn't be getting anything inside your vehicle if all of the windows are closed and doors completely closed as well. I've done many miles of dirt and the only time I've had any inside is when I absentmindedly leave the back window down.

9. Oct 16, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Gorilla Tape. Just kidding,the weather stripping may be the answer. Good luck

10. Oct 16, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5
    Slightly modded
    I hate it when i do that. Lol

Products Discussed in