1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Gate only opens when the car is on...

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Crownheist, May 25, 2020.

1. May 25, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    Crownheist

Crownheist [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deoua
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota 4Runner sports edition
    Good afternoon everyone! I’m a newbie, I just bought an 05 sports edition as a second vehicle. I love it so far but the rear gate will only
    open when the car is on. I was thinking that it could be the motor, but it does work, just not when the car is running. I’m wondering if I just need to normalize it, though I’m not having any issues with the windows. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I didn’t see a post with this specific issue. Does any have any advise?

2. Jun 14, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    chassis

chassis New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    Please provide more diagnostic information.

What do you mean by "open"? The 4th gen does not have a powered liftgate.

With the engine off and the key removed, and the vehicle unlocked, can you open the liftgate?

Go through many scenarios of engine on/off, locked/unlocked using the fob and the door buttons, and tell us what you find.

3. Sep 21, 2023 at 10:07 PM
    MrEd4u

MrEd4u New Member

Member:
    Newbie here. I have the same issue as the original post. 2006 4Runner 4x4 V6 SR5. Here are the symptoms: The liftgate won't open while car is unlocked. To open (or close) the liftgate, the car needs to be turned on first and door switched to unlock position. Interestingly, I can't also bring down the rear window using the car key fob. To bring rear window down, I have to hit the switch on the dashboard itself. My mechanic is stumped cause he can't figure out what's wrong. He tested the rear door switch, motorized door lock and ECU module. All seems to work. It's quite frustrating since in order to open (or close) the liftgate, I have to turn on the car first and fumble with the door switches. I have tried resetting the ECU by removing the fuse, also tried disconnecting car battery and playing with door switches, etc. to no avail. (My mechanic also did some internet searches and couldn't find a fix.) He thinks it might be the ECU and wants to try swapping it with another used one. Does anybody out there know what's going on?

Products Discussed in

To Top