1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear driverside door will not latch

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by cam366, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Jun 25, 2021 at 3:49 PM
    cam366

cam366 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner
    I looked on youtube,and all the videos I could find are lock actuators failing.My door will not latch,it shuts all the way,but hits like there is nothing there.I stuck a screwdriver in there to try to click the latch to lock it while it is in the open position,but it will not,and its not dry,but lubed well.I suppose i will remove it,but thought I would give it a shot,maybe there is a way,or some common problem I am not aware of.I do not see how the locking actuator would have anything to do with this problem.It has to shut/latch before you can lock it,thanks everyone for your view/nterest and help in advance

2. Jun 28, 2021 at 7:37 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Yeah, sounds like a mechanical problem with the latch itself.

If you pull the mechanism you'll probably see the cause. Sounds like a bum latch that you will need to replace.

Play with the other side of the car with your screwdriver and verify it works as you expect and the problem latch is faulty.

3. Jun 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM
    cam366

cam366 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner
    You can move it with screwdriver but just doesn’t click in ,like it should when you’re testing it.Whatever is inside the latch that clicks and holds it in position until you pull handle is stuck maybe or broke.I will take latch out and clean,lube, examine ,maybe I can save it,or I’ll check ebay,Thanks for your thoughts and time about it.Never seen one broken before

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jun 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM
    Doubleduty

Doubleduty Life is better on the mountain

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Blue Ridge Mtns. NC / Native Texan
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen ltd and 5th gen SR5
    Work your lock tab inside up and down. Maybe the linkage is frozen or just not responding. Just a guess.

5. Jun 29, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I have this issue with both my passenger and drivers door now. I have to slam the door harder to make it latch or else it wont close all the way. I believe that to fix it you have to take the door apart. I've tried spraying lubricant into the latch in the hopes of loosening up the mechanism, unfortunately this hasn't ever gotten results. Exercising the mechanism also doesn't do anything, I've tried.

My issue with the latch is that it wont return to position as quick as it should.

6. Jul 5, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    cam366

cam366 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner
    removed the latch,did not realize it was so big.Looks like there is two parts,think I would rather buy the whole unit,to avoid more hassle.Mostly I see used on ebay,thats confusing somewhat,compared to the norm.Anybody got a good idea where the best place ,or a place to get it with history ?Watched the video to remove.and it sure wasn't as easy as they made it look like.It took me about twenty minutes to get that small linkage off after unclipping it.I was pulling and prying it at the same time,I was so afraid I would break the plastic part,it just didn't want to come out,I sparayed about a can of wd on it to help.Finally,and thanks in advance for the view and help/thoughts on this.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top