1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Brake Pads 1/2 gone - Normal?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Cdog4runner, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Apr 30, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    Cdog4runner

Cdog4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner
    Hey Guys,

I had new brakes and shocks put on my 2010 SR5 a little less than a year ago. I live in Texas, were it's pretty flat and I haven't done any towing. I didn't like the feel of my ride so I asked the dealership where I had the work done to check it out. They told me their tech suggested new brakes and shocks. I said "Go ahead, they're under warranty". They quickly changed their tune and offered to replace the front struts but said the brakes were fine. Then they told me my rear brakes were at .39mm out of 8mm after only putting 15,000 miles on them. They agreed that that seemed aggressive but couldn't find any cause and therefore attributed it to my driving and weren't gonna replace them. Anyone else experience rear brakes wearing quickly? Any thoughts?
    Thanks!!

2. Apr 30, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    Honestly I have noticed the same on my 2017. I have never changed rear drums with previous Tacoma’s or even my 89 or 98 4Runners with less than 100k. Recently I was at the dealership for warranty work and they said all four discs with have to be replaced by 40k. My brake pedal feels like it’s on the floor. I am a very conservative driver that is very light on the brakes. I tow a lot but all my trucks towed the same amount. Maybe the OEM compound is too soft??

Cdog4runner[OP] likes this.
  3. May 1, 2019 at 4:18 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Honda's famous for blowing through rear brakes on their vehicles.

Products Discussed in

To Top