1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Random thoughts 2.5 months into T4R ownership

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Tyotor, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Mar 17, 2023 at 3:46 PM
    Tyotor

Tyotor [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    So, after owning a 4Runner for 2.5 months now, a couple of things have occurred to me.

One, when I drove my wife’s RAV4 the other day, it was quite evident that the 4Runner’s build quality is on a whole different level than any other Toyota (except maybe the Land Cruiser). I noticed little things like plastic panels making normal pops and clicks when making turns and accelerating. The 4Runner doesn’t make these noises. Such a solid build.

Two, the ride feels so smooth and safe in the 4Runner. Again, not a knock on our RAV4, but the T4R just takes everything great about Toyota and elevates it! :benchpress:

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Mar 17, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Exactly! None of that annoying plastic cracking/creaking sound and slappy suspension/tire sound. It just feels like a hefty cushiness. Nothing like our 18 Highlander. I don’t understand when people say the interior feels cheap. It’s harsh interior sounds are what really make a car feel cheap.

2Toys, Thatbassguy and Tyotor[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 17, 2023 at 4:31 PM
    Tyotor

Tyotor [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    When ya know, ya know!

4. Mar 17, 2023 at 5:03 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I feel like the 4Runner is made of cheap materials that are put together really well. Honestly, every single interior plastic feels on the cheap side to me, but I agree that it's assembled very well and doesn't make a lot of noise. Mine's 10 years old with 150k, and it's virtually silent inside when it comes to creaks and panel noises.

5. Mar 21, 2023 at 11:27 AM
    Austin26

Austin26 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    5th gen ORP
    Well, yes, being that we all drive one we know this.

6. Mar 27, 2023 at 9:59 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Maybe the newer ones have better materials and finishing? I’m a sucker for a nice interior, but the newer 4runners dont seem to sub-par to me for the pricepoint/vehicle type. The fake carbon on the center console looks and feels very good (like actual carbon fiber) without it looking over the top. The texturing on the dash makes it look better than the actual hard plastic it actually is. I’d rather have a nicely textured hard dash than a soft touch dash, like the ones that were cracking in a bunch of lexus and toyota models in the mid 2000s

Everything else just looks and feels decent enough, at least on the newer ones.

edit: are there interior trim differences between models?

7. Mar 27, 2023 at 10:31 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I felt the same with the Tesla Model S. I didn't like the $114,000 car (i think that's what my buddy said he paid out the door) and prefer the build quality of the $50,000 4runner.

8. Mar 27, 2023 at 10:35 AM
    Trees91

Trees91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM SR5p
    1" cornfed level 255/75 yoko at trd replica wheels
    One thing that stands out to me after two week of owning ours is how loud rocks are bouncing off the wheel wells. Would be nice to have some material to deaden that or have plastic liners.

5six, HuskerRunner and Tyotor[OP] like this.
  9. Mar 30, 2023 at 11:30 AM
    mainerunr

mainerunr New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP
    Toyo AT3's, Greenlane Sliders
    My F150 at 8yr old and 160k had fewer creaks and panel noises than my 4Runner at 2 months and 2500 miles (and the 4runner only has one noise but it annoys me. passenger side windshield area, thinking it might be the plastic on the outside...)

5six likes this.
  10. Mar 30, 2023 at 12:53 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    I have a similar one on the drivers side, Worse when cold but it will easily test your sanity.

11. Mar 30, 2023 at 11:36 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    The pssenger side outside corner of the windshield has some plastic trim along the bottom. Where the corner piece joins…spray a tood amount of water into the area. If it stops, that’s the source. I tend to get a tapping noise in that are after dusty drives. Cleaning it with water has been enough to keep the noise away for a long time.

12. Mar 31, 2023 at 12:55 PM
    BobbyB

BobbyB Where the road ends, Fun begins!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off Road
    SSO Slimline Bumper Warn Evo 10s winch Bilstein 5100 shocks Dobinson Springs (front and rear) JBA Upper Control Arms Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights RCI skids (engine, trans, Txfr and gas tank) CaliRaised sliders UpTop Overland Bravo Rack Auxbeam 6 switch panel Frac Harness with front camera Custom rear diff breather on firewall
    In addition to my 2021 TRD OR with 15k miles, I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 161k miles.

When the Ridgeline was new, it was extremely quiet and I was quite impressed with the quality fit and finish of all of the interior plastic parts. It felt like a more expensive vehicle than it really is. Now, that it is 16 years old and has quite a few miles, it is not as quiet as it was when new although it is in good condition, it is noticeably noisier than the 4Runner. It's been my experience that vehicles develop suspension noise and interior noises as they age. You don't really notice it as the years go by until you get into a new one and then the old one sounds a lot louder than you remembered..

Love my 4Runner and it is so solid and quiet. Love my Ridgeline too but it is now an older, noiser version of it's original self. I suspect when the 4Runner is 16 years old like the Ridgeline, it will have a few noises too...

Cheers,
    Bob

13. Apr 1, 2023 at 8:32 PM
    5six

5six New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    55_4Runner
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD ORP
    Ceramic tint (all glass), Toyo AT3s 285/70 C load, Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, Ironman UCA, Cartrimhome TRD skid plate, RCI skids (rear diff, transmission, filler plate, catalytic anti theft), SwitchPro 9100 & MT Plate, Caliraised ditch lights & brackets, Caliraised molle panels, Sherpa roof rack, Westcott ladder, Weathertech window visors, Meso & LED interior bulbs, black badging, Weathertech mats, Husky cargo liner, Canvasback rear seat backing, Smittybilt 2781, Morrflate Quad, ARB Diff Breather, Ultimate9, TRD Pro rims, GTR Carbide headlights, DIY Knight Rider light strip.
    I hope the build quality of my ‘22 holds up over time. I will say, when you start to do your own mods you realize how cheap some of the materials are. But, it’s amazing how the design/engineering has it put together well. After taking apart the centre console, the dash left of drivers side and both side mirrors, this thing feels like one big Lego.

14. Apr 8, 2023 at 8:35 AM
    LadeDruck

LadeDruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Pearl Effect White Ltd.
    I have an 18’ rav4 xle and a 22’ 4Runner limited.

4runner makes the rav feel subpar. The rav drives a lot better than most cars.

a true Porsche (pre 2012) is a whole other build quality.

there are vehicles that are smoother and more balanced, but I can count them on one hand.

15. Apr 8, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    Ripmo

Ripmo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock ORP
    Bilstein 5100 2” front Bilstein 5100 rear w/ 1” Cornfed spacer Sherpa Crestone roof rack RCI Skids and sliders Ironman UCA’s
    While I do agree a lot of the interior plastics feel cheap compared to soft touch materials used on a lot of new cars, it seems much better than what I’ve experienced in recent domestics I’ve rented. I did have a clicking noise on the right side of the dash on my ‘22 which drove me crazy, but I was able to solve it. The HVAC duct under the dash speaker was rubbing together at a joint. I also have a subtle clicking near the headline by the driver’s door, but so think it may have something to do with my aftermarket roof rack. Overall the build does seem very solid.

16. Apr 10, 2023 at 7:48 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    I got mine in December. Drove a Tacoma for 9 years before that. We have had other Toyotas in the past, plus a lot of Hondas and an Acura.

+1 the 4Runner feels put together more solid than any of them. Its essentially the same drivetrain as my old Gen 2 Taco but yet drivers so much smoother. The doors close with a soft but solid thunk that feels more like a German luxury car than a Japanse truck. So many subtle details they sort out that you don't see elsewhere like having a dipstick in the washer reservoir, defrost for the wipers, clearance in the rear seat cushion for the belts so you don't have to feel around and fish them though when you flip the seats up and down... etc... etc...

I love it!

Tyotor[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top