1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on Nitto Ridge Grappler

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BgBmBoo, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new set of AT tires and keep coming back to the Ridge Grappler due to endless reviews of how quiet they are. Looking through the builds threads from the past few years I see a lot of people running them. For those that have been running them for a few years, what are your thoughts? Still enjoy them as much as you did when they were new?

Are they really that quiet on the highway? Found a few reviews on some other forums that claim they are quieter than KO2s and Toyo AT3s. Seems hard to believe given the aggressive tread design.

I appreciate any opinions!

2. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I’ve had them for a while now, and I can confirm that they are quieter than the KO2’s and in my opinion ride a little better. I have/had both sets in e load and think the grapplers are way better on and off-road. Don’t expect them to be silent, but they are definitely quiet for an AT tire.

2Toys likes this.
  3. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    45k miles on mine with probably 10k left. I’ll be getting a second set.

4. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:24 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I don't hear them on the highway at all, but then again I never heard my KO2's either.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  5. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Well that says a lot about them. Thanks! Living in the country I have always run ATs and generally stick to Cooper AT3s, Hankook Dynapro ATMs or similar. Running some Hankook AT2s at the moment and they have some noise. A little road noise is just part of the deal and doesn't bother me. It's just hard to believe that a tire that aggressive looking could be that quiet.

Appreciate the opinions. Thinking this will be the direction I go.

6. Aug 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Hey BgBmBoo, I’m running K02s right now and they’re quiet. When I was driving the Dempster Highway a couple of years ago, I asked the guy at a tire shop in Whitehorse, Yukon, what was the best tire for driving that particularly challenging highway, and he said Nitto’s! So they must be tough,
    As for noise, in my experience noise is partly related to maintaining alignment. If a big luggy tire gets cupped from poor alignment, it gets noisy. That’s why they start out so quiet when they’re new and get louder as they get old. 4x4 vehicles can get easily out of alignment when bumping around off road, even if you think you didn’t hit anything on the trail. You need to be a bit religious about it. I get it, spending $ on something you can’t see is hard to justify, but if you want peace and quiet, it’s essential. Btw, sometimes cupping or scuffing of a tread isn’t even easily visible to the untrained eye. But once it’s there, it’s there, and it will hum and whine at speed on asphalt.

7. Aug 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I ran both Ridge Grapples and Terra Grappler G2 and strangely, The Ridge Graps seemed quieter ?????

8. Oct 7, 2020 at 3:34 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Let’s see if I can get some info here. I’m in a dilemma now. My tire place I deal with having issues getting tires because of the COVID thing. I just did a test fit on my SCS wheels with a 285 Toyo AT3. Was planning on going with them. Bad news my tire guy cannot get them because of out of stock. Yes I could try and get a set off EBAY brand new but I chose not to do that route. I prefer to give him the business. So now it brings me back to the post. The Ridge Grapplers. He can get them for me. But I don’t want a noises tire. Some reviews say they are and some say not. And guys have said they would put them on again. Anyone wants to chime in that have them are you still happy with them. Or prefer something else. Any info would be great. Also he could not get a answer from there vendor when the Toyo AT3 would be available again.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Oct 7, 2020 at 3:40 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    50k miles of happy. Rotate every 5k. Still have a comfortable 7500 miles tread life.

10. Oct 7, 2020 at 6:41 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    My Ridge Grapplers are quieter than my Falken Wildpeaks.

11. Oct 7, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    I have them on both of our 4Runners. will buy them again when the time comes

12. Oct 7, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    The noise level sounds good. The issue I worry about is the bad reviews in the snow. It must be the compound of the tire that does not agree with the snow. It’s hard to believe it would be the tread pattern.

13. Oct 7, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    I ended up going with the RGs in factory size. Only have 3k miles on them, but I will give my thoughts so far. As far as road noise, the RGs do have noticeable noise but I wouldn't call them loud by any means. At certain speeds I hear, what I would describe as a high pitched whine. That's what my ears hear so take it for what it's worth. I have noticed the whine also comes and goes depending on road surface. It's not loud enough to be annoying, I think I only notice it because I'm listening for it. Other than that, the tires are surprisingly quiet for how aggressive they are. No weird vibrations, hums or wah wah wah wah sounds like you often hear with aggressive tires. To compare to other tires, I have run Cooper AT3, Hankook Dynapro AT2 and ATM and I would rate the Ridge Grapplers as slightly noisier than those three AT tires.

Bottom line, I do not regret my decision and as long as nothing changes I will consider them again when the time comes for new tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top