1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Protection from the elements? Yotas at the beach

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by jakebutler84, May 8, 2019.

1. May 8, 2019 at 3:32 AM
    jakebutler84

jakebutler84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2005 4runner 4wd
    Cargo
    Bought my 1st 4runner (former jeep guy). Anyone have advice for protection from elements on Kauai, Hawaii? Basics I should know. IMG_20190428_181635_346.jpg

WallyT4R, nimby, HoBoDanny and 2 others like this.
  2. May 8, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    Pure4Runner

Pure4Runner Pure4Runner.com

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner, 2008 FJ Cruiser, 2010 Tundra
    Pure Branded Sliders, Icon Suspension, ARB OUtback Console, Baja Designs Lights, BajaRack Ladder, Baja Rack Spy Light System, Banks IQ Man-Machine Interface, Body Mount Chop, Bushwacker Flares, Cabin FIlter, Carbon Fiber Door Handles, CB Radio, Cowl Light Bracket, Custom Light Brackets, DBC Grille, EBC Brakes & Rotors, Edge CTS, Expedition One Front Bumper, skinny Toyo Open Country MTs, Fenix LED Hood Light, Fourtreks Mounts, Halo Headlights, Hood Decal, KC LZR LED, Locking Billet Gas Cap, MBRP Exhaust, Method Race Wheels, Overland Springs, Power Stop Brakes, Putco LED Headlights, Spring Booster, RCI SKid Plates, Rear Window Screen, Rhino Rack Awnings, Roll Top Console, Sound Proofing, Spare Tire Spacer, SPOD, Stereo Instal, Badges, Blackout Kits, Wheel Bearings and Spacers....etc..
    Beautiful photo. It's humid and overcast here. Will ask the owner about protection when he arrives. Mahalo.

jakebutler84[OP] likes this.
  3. May 8, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    Wash, wax and rinse it off after beach runs. Also helps to have shaded parking.

4. May 8, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    I hate to be the Debbie downer her...but... sand it brutal on any vehicle. Additionally its almost impossible to keep salty air and sand out of the bearings and stuff like that. My father in law and brother in law live down by the shoreline. Both of their pickups (F150 & Tacoma) have relatively low mileage but there is an incredible amount of rust on them. in 2007 I drove my 2003 Tacoma on the beach for about 5 miles (nothing crazy) and was cleaning sand out of all the bearings and interior up to 2012 when I sold the truck. Me personally I would keep a super strict schedule of changing all the fluids as often as possible and try to rinse the undercarriage as often as I could.

5. May 8, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    There's some protective coatings you can get for the undercarriage. Others can chime in with some good brands. At the very least, you can spray WD40 on the undercarriage for days you do beach trips.

Wash it regularly and wax it a few times a year. Should be good to go.

I love your part of the world. I try and do a surf trip over there once a year. :cheers:

6. May 8, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    It's interesting that some coastal areas seem to cause a vehicle to rust more than others. We live in coastal norCal, on the Pacific Ocean, and there are no rusty vehicles here. It's common to see 30 year old cars that look good. I drive on the beach almost daily with the dogs and have no issues with rust, etc. If I actually get wet in the ocean (which happens if you fail to pay attention to the tide chart) I go nuts spraying off the frame... but otherwise, no special care.

[​IMG]

jakebutler84[OP] and nimby like this.
  7. May 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM
    jakebutler84

jakebutler84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2005 4runner 4wd
    Cargo
    Thanks for all the input.. I realize it is probably just something I will have to deal with but, i freaking love the truck lol. Dont want want something I am doing personally to be the problem. I am from Amarillo TX where we do not have to worry about problems like silly old rust.

8. May 9, 2019 at 5:14 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    I live in an area that salts the roads every winter. I use Fluid Film once a year. I do it myself...buy a disposable paint suit from the depot, gloves, respirator, and six cans of fluid film. Kind of a pain rolling around on the ground but it only takes about an hour. My 4 literally looks brand new underneath, not one spec of rust. The stuff works well.

Products Discussed in

To Top