1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prospective owner

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Smittster, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Feb 15, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    Smittster

Smittster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just researching 4Runner’s with possible purchase. Saw a 2018 limited with 90,000 miles for 33,000. Is this a fair price?

2. Feb 15, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Yes and no. I see them sell new for around 44k-46k and that’s only 3 years old so 10kish less than new for the same vehicle. For 33k though, you could find an SR5 or even off-road model with much much less miles. Unless you’re 100% set on the limited, I’d look at other trims or at least pass up on that one. My two cents, not an expert just my thoughts.

3. Feb 15, 2021 at 10:38 PM
    Smittster

Member:
    Not really set 100% on the limited. Don’t really plan to be off road much but may look into the trd so I can leave that option open. Thanks.

4. Feb 15, 2021 at 11:25 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    A few points to consider:

1. Any model 4Runner will do if you want off roading to be an option. You can off road in any of them in stock form. At the same time, hard core off roading requires upgrades regardless of model (well, maybe any model except the $60K TRD PRO, and for many people even then). Whether you get a base model SR5, or a TRD Off Road, or a Trail, or a Venture, or a decked-out Limited, you'd want a suspension lift and bigger, trail-oriented tires before attempting heavy duty off roading.

In short, don't let the mere possibility of future off roading determine the model you choose.

2. The Limited has distinct advantages over the other models, especially if your main use will be on road. It comes with full time 4WD. That means you don't have to worry about not being in 4WD when you hit a slippery stretch of road. It also means not worrying about binding and damaging your drivetrain if you manually engage 4WD then hit a stretch of road that isn't a snowy or muddy mess. The part time 4WD systems in the non-Limited models are really designed for people who rarely need 4WD except when off road. If you live in a southern climate where rear-wheel drive works 99% of the time, then no worries. But if you mostly drive on road and live in areas that snow, then the manual 4WD systems could be a disappointing hassle.

3. The Limited has a lot of additional features that you can't get on other models. Things like seat memory and dual zone climate control.

4. 33K sounds like a lot for any model 4Runner with 90K miles. While it's true that 4Runners often go 200K miles or more, you can't know for sure how well maintained this particular example is or whether it has undisclosed issues. 33K isn't a lot less than the cost of a brand new Runner with full warranty. If you don't need or care about the features of the Limited, I'd strongly suggest spending another 5-7K to buy a new SR5. If you do in fact really want a Limited, I'd suggest either spending the 10-12K more to get a new one, or looking for a better deal.

Best of luck either way. Please keep us posted.

5. Feb 16, 2021 at 12:36 AM
    Smittster

Member:
    Thanks. The limited was nice. Maybe they will be eager to sell and lower the price that would compensate for the high mileage.

6. Feb 16, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    33K is a bit high for a 90k mile 3 year old Limited. I would shoot for under 30K

Smittster[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top