1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem with Navigation and Compass

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by dmusic1996, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Jan 4, 2022 at 8:41 PM
    dmusic1996

dmusic1996 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Hello everyone!

My navigation system is acting up as well as my compass in my 2014 4runner Limited. The navigation is showing my location miles away from where i actually am. The compass is reading random headings as well. I have tried looking in my owners manual for a way to calibrate the navigation and compass but it shows a different system than what the limited has. I've also tried looking online for any ways to fix this but it seems as though no one else has experienced this issue!! HELP!!

2. Apr 14, 2023 at 12:24 PM
    Lilith

Lilith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Hello! Did you figure out a way to fix this? I noticed my 2014 SR5 is having the same issues. It’s driving me crazy and the manual isn’t the right dash set up.

3. Apr 15, 2023 at 2:03 PM
    UncleShorty

UncleShorty New Member

Member:
    I had the same problem w/ my 2015 SR5. I spent 2 weeks researching, there's little to nothing that addresses our problem. I pulled the head unit and made sure the GPS antenna connector was tight. I replaced and updated the sd card, ($50 bucks wasted...), I went though every repair/reinstall I could find on the internet, (not much...). I did a factory re-set on the head unit.

I could not/ can not get my GPS to work.

I seldom used the Nav system because I found it cumbersome and highly inaccurate. I normally use Google Maps and Back Country Navigator on my tablet. So the OEM system is the back up to my back up. But the engineer in me can't stand to have systems that aren't 100% operational.

My problem became apparent about 4 months after I had to have the head unit repaired. In those 4 months I did not use the Nav system. So I'm not sure if the problem surfaced when the unit was repaired, (By an electronics shop not Toyota, their answer was buy a new head unit...) or if it fail during that 4 month window.

In my opinion there is something knackered in the head unit.

When/how did you notice that your systems had failed? Was there anything removed/replaced/repaired that might be relevant to troubleshooting?

Ya can't miss what ya never use, but it chaps me that I cannot figure this out... I guess I have a 99% operable 4Runner now...

4. Apr 16, 2023 at 11:09 AM
    Lilith

Lilith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    I just purchased it a few months ago from a Toyota dealership, I didn’t notice it then. But shorty after I noticed on my cellphone the compass was different from the head unit. I have not installed or replaced anything. I’m thinking about contacting the dealership and asking about it. I have never even used the navigation system and just have always used my phone. It does annoy me now that I have noticed it. But everything else seems to work great.

5. Apr 16, 2023 at 11:16 AM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    It is likely that the software database on the SD card in the lower right hand corner of the head unit is out of date. I have experienced this issue myself, and updating the software database corrected the problem.

6. Apr 16, 2023 at 11:18 AM
    Lilith

Lilith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Did you purchase a new SD card? Or just updated the system. If you updated the system how did you do so?

7. Apr 16, 2023 at 11:47 AM
    2Toys

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    I personally did not purchase a new card. I had Toyota update the software.

Lilith likes this.
  8. Apr 16, 2023 at 3:15 PM
    UncleShorty

UncleShorty New Member

Member:
    I put a new OEM sd card in mine. Then I did an update and a GPS calibration. No luck. So, I think something in the firmware of the head unit is knackered. After going through all the troubleshooting steps I did a factory reset of the head unit.

Nothing I have done has fixed my nav system...

9. Apr 16, 2023 at 7:36 PM
    2Toys

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    Now that I think of it - I think Toyota did a firmware update in mine.

Our helicopters have Garmin avionics units in them, and I am always updating the databases in them - that is why my head went there.

10. Apr 16, 2023 at 7:36 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    There is a setting for GPS calibration in your head unit. Just make sure that you do it in an open area with no trees or power lines above your antenna. You’ll have issues if you try and run the calibration or reset the head unit in your garage, near power lines, or anything that may affect the signal.

Lilith likes this.
  11. Apr 16, 2023 at 8:12 PM
    Lilith

Lilith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Mine seems to say the right direction sometimes and other times it doesn’t. I live out in the country and I’m wondering if sometimes it just can’t get a good reading. I will still check with my Toyota dealership.

12. Apr 16, 2023 at 9:47 PM
    UncleShorty

UncleShorty New Member

Member:
    I did the full calibration on mine. It had no effect. But it would be worth a try.

Heck, I'm at the point where I'm gonna kill a chicken and dance around a fire...

Lilith and steelevo like this.
  13. Apr 16, 2023 at 11:09 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Lol!!!! Send the video when you’re done with this rain dance.

Products Discussed in

To Top