1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Private Mechanic or Service at the Dealership?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jay Tearules, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nov 29, 2020 at 7:50 PM
    Jay Tearules

Jay Tearules [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited
    I got a 2018 4Runner a few months ago and it's approaching 50K miles. Curious how people feel about taking your ride to a private mechanic or do you take it back to the dealership? I feel like dealerships are always trying to rip me off.

toy33 and Toy4X4 like this.
  2. Nov 29, 2020 at 7:55 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Personally, I don't trust the dealership at all. They left the white (shipping) film on our roof (we got it with 15miles) & said their prep guy is short...
    Find a great & honest local mechanic! My only advice.
    Ryan.

Toy4X4, 7385, A&P and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nov 29, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    There’s no correct answer here, it’s 100% dependent on the staff at each location. Neither is inherently better or worse.

Personally I’d say Invest in some tools, they will buy themselves over time.

Toy4X4, QAS, Singleminded and 2 others like this.
  4. Nov 29, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    That has nothing to do with the service department. Service and sales operate as individual completely separate entities.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Toy4X4 likes this.
  5. Nov 29, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    ^^I totally agree. In my case, my service experiences with the two Toyota dealerships in my city have been, shall we say, less than stellar.

toy33 likes this.
  6. Nov 29, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I don’t even own a 4Runner yet, but called around some of my dealerships to ask advice about how often and what type of maintenance the KDSS suspension requires. Several service advisors Asked what am I talking about? They inquired of me what the acronym name stood for. Crazy absolutely crazy

Toy4X4, 7385, A&P and 2 others like this.
  7. Nov 29, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Our salesman didn't know what it was either! He also thought that the locking differential was for loading on a flatbed if needed!?!
    He was a "senior salesman"... seriously!?

Toy4X4, 7385, A&P and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nov 30, 2020 at 1:27 AM
    bear1998

bear1998 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Shoreline Blue Pearl Limited, ...2004 Dark Blue Sport 4.7l .
    Most salesman dont know there ass from a hole in the ground thru my experience.
    As far as the service department goes....there lost if they dont have a part #...
    I used to have a go to independent mechanic that was good when he did it part time....now hes in it full time n all he want to do is minor repair n charge top dollar.
    I started doin 90% of the work that i needed or wanted done myself....bein 58 yrs. old...it not quite as fun but at least you know what kind of work you getting doin it urself....it pays!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Toy4X4, QAS, 7385 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Nov 30, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    Fishguy

Fishguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 4Runner (stock)
    Replaced EGR vacuum modulator!
    One dealer in 100 is okay. The old Honda dealer in Twin Falls, Idaho, comes to mind. Other than that, every one I have tried to use has left me doubting. I even had one Missoula Ford service manager tell me, on the sly, "don't come back here these people are crooks."

On the other hand, more than one private garage has either missed needed work, did something unneeded, or actually broke something and did not disclose the damage.

I had an old Mercedes diesel in the 70's. I would have a prospective mechanic do an oil change and adjust the valves. If it came back leaking oil or "clattering", I would re-do the work myself and try a new shop. With that process I found a great shop that I used for everything.

4Runner fun, bear1998 and 7385 like this.
  10. Nov 30, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    You want experienced mechanics who will give you a solid answer and a fair deal. Most of your mechanics at the dealer will not know very much but they may see volume and that can be good. The dealer experience all revolves around the senior mechanics and whether any service reps are knowledgeable. I have a local garage that I trust for all my work unless there is special warranty or system work (I don't have KDSS, but that would fall here) that they aren't able or comfortable completing. But as far as experience goes, this garage is about 100 years old and the senior mechanics all seem to have grown up in this shop, so I trust them for basic stuff more than everyone else. And sometimes I'm disappointed how little they charge for small repairs (I asked them to look at a "sticky door" on my wife's van, it was $6 shop charge to add grease/lube to the rollers).

4Runner fun and Singleminded like this.
  11. Nov 30, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    your oil changes will be done by the youngest, most inexperienced junior apprentice at any dealer, any brand.
    yes, they will strip your skid plates screws

Toy4X4, bear1998 and 7385 like this.
  12. Nov 30, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    jason2006

jason2006 New Member

Member:
    Well, we have had great service experience at our local Toyota dealer for the last 20 years. I guess you can say we've built a good relationship along the way. They have never told me to have any unnecessary work done. We've serviced 7 different Toyota's here including two 4runners and have had no issues.
    Good luck!

Toy4X4 likes this.
  13. Nov 30, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I think this hits the nail on the head. I've had a lot of bad experiences at dealer service departments, but then again I've mostly used the dealer because I've mostly had my cars under warranty and/or had complimentary maintenance.

A potential advantage of the dealer is that they have a lot of experience with your type of vehicle. They've done maintenance and repairs on a zillion of them, so know the little quirks that might trip up another mechanic. They might know better how to drain the the ridiculous filter canister contraption Toyota uses for the 4R without splashing oil all over the place. They may know how to reposition the skid plate to make it less likely they strip the threads when re-bolting it in. They may be more likely to know when the propellor shaft actually needs lubricating or a fluid needs changing. They may be more likely to spot a trouble area before it becomes a bigger problem. They may be more likely to know about a TSB that identifies an issue they should be looking out for.

But whether they do any of that depends on how conscientious they are and how much management values training and quality work. Integrity is always the first thing to look for. Without that, experience isn't much use.

14. Nov 30, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Yes. This is the rule. If you get good oil service that is the exception.
    I’ve had two service managers tell me that is the only way they can operate, junior trainee techs start out with oil service / tire rotations. And turnover is very high.

Your best bet is to find a reliable private mechanic. Look at Yelp or yahoo reviews, referrals from your local Nextdoor group, friends/family, or better yet ask on the 4Runner forums for recommendations for mechanics near your city.

15. Nov 30, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Well, I would not be thrilled either with shitty work and minimum wage.
    Your best bet is (if you can) to do it yourself.

ElectroBoy[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 1, 2020 at 2:53 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    38 years of good deals , great service dept., etc. at our local Chevy dealer, then one day out of the blue the sales manager tries to take us for a $3000 "ride".... We're gone! Went to Toyota. Moral of the story: Don't let your guard down even though at the time you're having such good luck at the dealership, always pay attention to what's going on, and when they or a private mechanic try to pay for the damn building they are in with your funding alone..... MOVE ON!

bear1998 likes this.
  17. Dec 1, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    Blue 4ever Runner

Blue 4ever Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Blue 4Runner
    Blacked out badges, window deflectors, smoked 3rd brake light. I have a Borla muffler on order as well as some color matched engine cover stickers. I'll be painting the stock wheels soon as well. Falken tires in the fall as well.
    I have owned nothing but new cars bought from dealers since 1981 and have yet to be satisfied with any dealer service dept. I have dealt with. I will never bring my cars to a dealer unless it's for warranty work and even then I'll hold my breath until I get it back. I have always done all work on my cars but as I get older and vehicles more complicated it's oil changes, tire rotations and maybe spark plug changes now although I have done exhaust modifications on the '19 Runner myself.
    I was very fortunate to find a fantastic local mechanic in my neighborhood and went there with complete confidence for almost 40 years. Unfortunately the business has been sold and from what hear the new management leaves a lot to be desired. I'll probably only use them for inspections as the dealers of vehicles I now own aren't that close to me. As others have said, try to find a good local shop and/or do whatever work you can do yourself. Avoid dealers at all costs in my opinion.

Products Discussed in

To Top