1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preference Order

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by PNW-ORP, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Jun 26, 2021 at 6:29 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Tinted Windows TRD Pro Wheels 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country AT3 TRD Pro Grill WeatherTech Mats Predator Steps
    So after owning an ORP for about a year I have decided to trade up to a PRO. No specific reason other than it being what i’ve wanted for a long time. That being said, does anyone know how a “preference order” works? I’ve been getting conflicting information here in the PNW with dealerships stating that they can’t order any or that they can with a deposit and even then it could possibly be with more/less options than I asked for.
    I appreciate any info as I have never placed an order on any vehicle.

Rick

2. Jun 27, 2021 at 3:12 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Tinted Windows TRD Pro Wheels 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country AT3 TRD Pro Grill WeatherTech Mats Predator Steps
    UPDATE

I have placed a refundable deposit on a 2021 TRD Pro LR. Was able to secure the vehicle at MSRP pricing, now I'm just hoping that the dealership can come through and get an allocation or locate one from another dealership. I will try to post updates as they come in.

408Gunner, ToyoTaco25 and rickystl like this.
  3. Jun 28, 2021 at 1:22 AM
    MiamiMark

MiamiMark New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seriously?
    Vehicle:
    '21 MGM TRD Pro
    Congrats man. Hope you get your Pro!

4. Jul 7, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Update-
    Got a call this weekend that I’ve moved up from 3rd on the wait list to 1st! Was also offered a LR Tacoma at MSRP that was due to be built mid August. Almost pulled the trigger on it but had to remind myself to be patient lol
    I hate waiting :annoyed:

5. Jul 7, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California
    Good luck man. Cutting it super close lol hope they can get one for you.

I believe the last deliveries are by the end of August to early September before the new model year comes out.

6. Jul 8, 2021 at 2:26 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Did the dealer give you a price for your trade in? Or are you selling it when they tell you your PRO comes in? At least you got a "refundable deposit", unless I get a VIN., a deposit doesn't follow, we were given a VIN. on ours and $100 deposit was the out of pocket cost. Hope it works out for you, #1 on the list is a good place to be!

7. Jul 8, 2021 at 12:37 PM
    jlficken

jlficken New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 Starfire Pearl GX 460 Black Line Edition

I feel you there!

I sold my '16 4Runner a couple weeks ago and am waiting to order a '22 whenever that's actually possible.

8. Jul 8, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Yeah at this point if I don’t make the cut for a 21 I’ll wait it out for a 22. Stilling crossing my fingers though lol

9. Jul 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    I sold my car at a different dealership as I got a higher appraisal than the place where I placed my deposit. I was a bit hesitant to place the order without a VIN or any sort of confirmation but from what I’ve heard from others is that this is the way it is during this crazy market. I was able to get a written contract from the dealership that they would sell at MSRP with no markups or add ons from the GM of the place so that made me feel a lot better about the whole process.

Toy4X4[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    If I don’t make the cut for a 21 I’ll be right there with you :cheers:

11. Jul 9, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Update—
    Well I got a call from a dealership a state over that is going to be receiving a LR Pro in a week but is selling at 59k OTD. Vehicle has unnecessary add ons in my opinion and has some dumb paint and tire/wheel protection packages that are only filling the dealerships pockets but damn it’s so tempting lol :bananadead:

12. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California

When you say OTD you’re implying taxes and all? Unless you live in a state with no sales tax. That’s a good deal if you’re in a state with taxes.

Otherwise if you live in a state with no taxes that’s a markup of about $6k

13. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:19 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    I live in OR, last year when I got the ORP I paid about 1k in registration and taxes. The dealership is selling the vehicle at 54 and is adding on 3200 for partial ppf and paint protection and another $900? for the wheel/tire and window protection package. OTD they quoted 59k.

14. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    No sales tax in OR.

15. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California

If you can get them to remove all add ons not from the factory. You got a solid deal

They can do it. Question is are they willing to? Lol

MiamiMark likes this.
  16. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    I just got off the phone with them and they are a no go on the removal of add ons lol
    Typical salesman BS. Asked if I would rather pay premium price with no add ons vs with add ons lol so I’m going to pass and wait it out and hope I can get one at the initial place I put down a deposit.

MiamiMark and Toy4X4 like this.
  17. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:39 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    In a year or two this won't matter so in this case either pay the premium cause you can't wait (totally understandable) or just wait it out. I want to swap my teardrop for a slightly larger teardrop but that aint happening until 2023 at least. RV industry is just as dumb as the rest of them.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  18. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:59 PM
    PNW-ORP

PNW-ORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Update—
    So after waiting for a while and thinking over my needs and anxiously waiting to see if I would be lucky enough to get an order allocated, I decided to pull the plug on the 4Runner. I have recently purchased a 2021 Tundra Limited that has now become my new daily driver. We will still be getting a new 4Runner but most likely not until next year as my wife is also due for a new car soon.
    Really hoping lunar rock is available for 22’s lol

19. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    It will be per my sales rep and I know he's taking orders. I have yet to see lunar rock in a 4runner in person. To be honest I'm not a huge fan at all on the rav4s I have seen

20. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    T4RLukePro

T4RLukePro New Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
    Congrats on the Tundra! I've seen some really great looking Tundras that have made me think twice.. It's tough with all of the supply chain issues. Dealerships know they're sitting on a valuable truck that sell themselves. I was lucky to get mine MSRP no BS.

Maybe the '22 will finally have a V8..

21. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:14 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I wouldn't hold my breath...

Thatbassguy likes this.
  22. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:38 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Oregon just has a .5% tax on new vehicle purchases.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  23. Aug 10, 2021 at 5:16 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I think it's being offered on the Off-road or Venture edition or something. The PRO special color changes every year, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe get the color you want on a lower trim and throw on a Fox suspension.

HA! Not happening.. Ever. The next gen is likely to have less cylinders.

olliechristoper likes this.
  24. Aug 10, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm so thankful I'm waiting this out. I just drove past a empty Subaru dealer lot yesterday. I am standing my ground. Good news is smart buyers know what they are getting themselves into. And you are getting a very reliable rig when purchasing Toyota brand.

I am so fortunate and grateful for what I have. I made the decision right after this pandemic started to dump a substantial amount of money into my 16 year old rig. A big chunk of it was done at a local shop I trust. I put over 5K into it in just basic repairs. If it was a Toyota I doubt I would have had to do as much to keep it going. Clutch, TO bearing, pressure plate, re-surface flywheel, slave cylinder, pull dash to replace heater core, new motor mounts, ring/pinion, TruTrac, brakes, tie rod ends, hubs, etc. All this stuff adds up to a lot of dough. Still, it's only a fraction of a new vehicle purchase.

I had no idea what was going to happen soon after those repairs in regards to new and used vehicle pricing. I figured I was going to get a 4Runner before the year ended. This time last year the dealers were flooded with new 4Runners for at or below dealer invoice. The one exception was the TRD pro. I soon found out that dealers would not let those go for much under MSRP.

What is really spooky is NADA pricing. I have never in over 20 years seen such a huge jump. I kick myself for not getting a hard copy of NADA pricing.

The banks are the smart ones. There are no more 0% financing offers for any new vehicle in this country. The banks know once this pandemic is over the car prices are going to drop like a rock. With banks LTV hovering around 115%-125% (on a new vehicle) it's no wonder they are requiring large down payments. If you want to know the true value of a vehicle simply go to the bank and see what they are willing to loan on the car. Subtract 25% and now you have a max amount of what it's worth.

Ironguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top