1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Practical 4Runner

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by lmcerva, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Sep 6, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    lmcerva

lmcerva [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorenzo
    Vehicle:
    Hope to own a 2020 4Runner. No truck yet
    Hi all,

I’m new to the forum. My name is Lorenzo, but you can call me Larry if it pleases ya. I’ve recently took an interest in the 5th generation 4 runner. I hope to own a 2020 TRD pro in the near future. Just one little problem or hurdle. I would love to have it as a hobby or weekend car but I can only afford to have one vehicle at a time. Being from NYC I was wondering what kind of Mods I can do while keeping it practical for city and family driving. Am I on a fools quest? Should I just look for another truck or car? Trails are limited in my area but I have fallen hard for the 4Runner. Any suggestions at all are appreciated. Please, share your 4Runner if your in a similar situation no matter which generation you own.

Thanks,
    Larry

2. Sep 6, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Reading what your situation is, i suggest getting your Pro, keep it stock and enjoy the crap out of it.

3. Sep 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM
    grayflare

grayflare New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner TRD PRO
    ^ that's what I'm doing.

4. Sep 6, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    hergonthegreat

hergonthegreat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    Agree with everyone else, the Pro will handle everything you seem to want from a 4runner. These vehicles are very capable stock, lots of us just enjoy modding. What kind of mods would you want to do? Lighting, exterior, suspension/tires, etc?

5. Sep 6, 2019 at 10:21 PM
    lmcerva

lmcerva [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorenzo
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies. I do want to take it off roading once in a while. I was thinking some knobby tires and perhaps a trim on the front bumper/fenders. Perhaps a snorkel. Definitely some raptor and fog lights. My question is. How many mods can I get away with before it becomes impractical or inefficient for city use. What would you do? And yes the TRD pros are pretty nice and capable as they come.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  6. Sep 7, 2019 at 3:42 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    You don’t need to mod it to enjoy it, especially that trim

7. Sep 7, 2019 at 3:45 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    What are your obstacles? Height and clearance getting into garages? Parking in tight spots? Having people steal your stuff when you’re not watching?

8. Sep 7, 2019 at 3:52 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    I commuted with my 2017 for about two years to NYC before I broke down and got a Corolla. I love my 4Runner but with that said it’s a very impractical NYC vehicle to begin with. And this does not include any mods. I found the truck to be very cumbersome when trying to navigate the city and the gas mileage was terrible with the constant traffic. Parking was another issue... I knew all these things going in so it’s not the trucks fault it’s just the nature of the beast. If I could only have one vehicle the 4Runner would be it but I just wanted to give you a fair assessment OP. Ultimately life is short so you should do want makes you happy...

Vegas421a, WallyT4R and gunsnob like this.
  9. Sep 7, 2019 at 4:50 AM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    If i had to drive in NYC with the nanny brake assist on my TuRD, i have no doubt i would get rear ended. I'm not up to date on the 2020 model or the current DMV laws of New York, but i know mods always got the attention of the local revenue collectors. Nothing like going to a car show just to be harassed when you leave. Good times. What part of NYC? A good set of tires is a must on any new car if you plan on doing anything more then commuting, not sure if toyota plans light upgrades for 2020 if not LED upgrade. A roof rack for those family trips, and a good EZ pass mount.

10. Sep 7, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    lmcerva

lmcerva [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorenzo
    Vehicle:
    No obstacles to speak of. I guess there is more of a danger of theft in NYC. I live in a particularly better neighborhood so it’s a little better.

This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear. Real experiences of life in the city with a 4Runner. I currently have an 2012 Audi A6. The car is a pleasure to drive. But expensive to maintain and I’m hitting the 8 year mark where problems usually start up. My other option may be to get a 1st or 2nd gen at a fraction of the price and keep my current car. I can use the t4r for my weekend excursions. I’m not really sure what to do. I have a 6 minute drive to work but parking is a nightmare. So I’ll drive the six minutes and spend 30 min looking for parking.

I’m genuinely concerned about the brake assist addition. How dumb is that? If people need brake assist they probably shouldn’t be on the road. I live in Brooklyn in a very residential area. I’m starting to think maybe I should consider the rav4 TRD when it comes out. But that is such a downgrade to the 4Runner. I like those upgrade suggestions. And the bright side is I will be the only one in my area with a sweet TRD t4r.

11. Sep 7, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    guhner123

guhner123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guhner
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR T4R
    Stock...for now...
    Unless your lifting your 4Runner. I don’t see why any of your mods listed would make the vehicle unpractical. The 4Runner isn’t tall enough to have effects on garage height or any of that.

lmcerva[OP] likes this.
  12. Sep 7, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    toy33

toy33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T. Batey
    CA: OC LA SD BB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra 4x4
    Driver Grab handle, Billy 4600 up front, OME 0-2 Sport Shocks in back, CoachBuilder +1 Shackles, AJT accents and fob case, Rear axle breather mod, Meso custom leds, Pass side oem matte clips, Fencing over air ducts, New TRD Pro grill, Black TRD pro led haedlights, Angels baseball steering wheel cover, 'T' Toyota Trucks billet hitch cover. Pro high grade tint all windows, PPF on front hood, grill and lights, led oem black fogs, shorty antenna.
    I can tell you the T4R is much easier to park than any full size truck and even the Tacoma. I have no problems in the crowded west los angeles area which was the worst in past trucks I've driven. From the beach to the city this thing just works great, much better than a car imo (but then again never was a car guy).

lmcerva[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    lmcerva

lmcerva [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lorenzo
    Vehicle:
    Honestly with the condition of the roads here and all the potholes I feel like I’m off-roading just driving around town.

Charlievee and toy33[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top