1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UPDATE - New T4R Owner in OR

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BeavertonCommuter, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Powertrain it looks like.

EDIT - so more info: All new cars come with a Toyota 7/100,000 powertrain warranty and the 3/36000 bumper-to-bumper warranty. It's a little weird how my local dealer presented the powertrain warranty as though it were some complimentary item.

Edit 2 - Asked a dealer about swapping the stock OR Prem wheels for TRD wheels and, refreshingly, he said to just buy the TRD wheels and sell the stock wheels or keep them as spares since I'd get only a $200 credit in the exchange.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. Apr 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Ok, need some last-minute help here as I'm about to pull the trigger:

Dealership here in Portland, OR, listed a magnetic grey metallic Off Road Premium for $44,205. When I used their dealer site chat thingy, a sales rep said the e-price was $41,540. Having talked to a live person now, the dealer is saying that it was a pricing mistake, but would honor it anyway.

I'm trying to gauge if the $41,540 is a good price or not. It's easily the best-priced OR Prem on cars.com and cargurus.com and is priced better than some used 2020 OR Prems, too. So, from the standpoint, this would be a good price.

MSRP looks to be $44,205. NADA puts MSRP at $44,549 with Invoice at $41,045.

Based on that information, this appears to be a good buy? Thoughts?

Also, should I be purchasing the all-weather mats from the dealer or crossbars? Or are these better-priced in the after market?

Oh, and wheels...Ive been reading some advice leaning against buying the TRD wheels to replace the stock ORP wheels due to the TRD wheel being more narrow. Is that good advice and should I not swap?

Thanks in advance!

3. Apr 14, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I'd totally do it! (Assuming this is for a 2021).

Others will have more experience on the wheel thing. I'd just note that you know you can trust the quality of the TRD wheels and they obv work well on the Pro and the Venture, so there's no reason they wouldn't work well on this ORP -- unless you have some very specific and off-size tire you want to use.

4. Apr 14, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Thanks and, yes, it's a 2021.

5. Apr 14, 2021 at 12:35 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Xclnt! Great truck and very good price! Go for it!

6. Apr 14, 2021 at 12:37 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    I appreciate the encouragement. It looks like edmunds puts the invoice a little lower than NADA did...wondering if I should try squeezing a bit more out of them, like asking for roof rack and all weather mats...

7. Apr 14, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I like their rubber mats. They threw them in with my Limited. The one in the cargo bay slides around too much but still works. The ones for the two rows of seats are excellent. I espec like the one for the rear seats, as it's one continuous piece that covers the driveshaft hump as well.

8. Apr 14, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    And another question since I am buying new off the lot rather than ordering - Paint Protection. Im reading that these 4Runners have thin paint and the some sort of PPF is recommended. How true is this?

9. Apr 14, 2021 at 1:44 PM
    Tradbow

Tradbow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    NW
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM SR5
    I agree. That is a good price! As far as OEM cross bars, check out Gladstone Toyota. I believe I paid $108 for mine and my local dealer wanted $140. I bought OREDRO front and rear all weather Mats for $99.95 if I remember correctly. I bought my all weather Husky cargo mat for $82 off Amazon. Sounds like you found your 4Runner. As far as the ORP wheels, I like the look myself.

BeavertonCommuter[OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 14, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    Tradbow

Tradbow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    NW
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM SR5
    One way dealerships make money is selling you stuff you don’t need, like paint protection. I have never purchased that and I have owned Toyota’s since the early 90’s. Same with extended warranties. Just my 2 cents fwiw.

11. Apr 14, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Some people here do tend to complain about the paint. Especially the white paint. I have the MGM that you're looking at and it seems fine -- but it's also less than a year old and usually garaged. I think Toyota in general is known for lower quality paints. Personally, I'd do some kind of authentic 3M protection film if it wasn't for the price. That's what dissuaded me. I'd already spent a boatload on the thing.

EDIT: I emphasize authentic 3M film or similar. I wouldn't trust the dealer to use something good unless they're showing you that it's the real deal.

12. Apr 14, 2021 at 1:52 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Ironically, I was just looking at them for a price on al weather mats to compare to what my dealer is asking for them.

The stock OR Prem wheels look too much like the limited wheels. I really like the appearance of the gun metal grey TRD wheels on the Venture. Not sure how theyd look on a MGM OR Prem, but there's always black, too.

Tradbow[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:07 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I looked at a 2020 MGM SR5 with gray TRD wheels when I went shopping for my Runner. I liked it a lot. Thought it was a great combo. It and LED fogs came as some sort of package the dealer (or Toyota?) was doing at the time -- sort of like a Venture but without the roof basket. I remember thinking it was one of the best looking Runners on the lot, and they had many.

14. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:16 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I was actually super tempted by that MGM SR5 with TRD wheels, espec given the price. Before I saw that I was considering an ORP. But my wife pushed me toward the Limited. In retrospect I'm really happy I got the Limited. But they're all great. Just depends on what's most important to you / how you're gonna use it.

15. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Okay, so got my financing set up with DCU for 2.99% for 72 months or 1.99% for 65 months. I also filled out an application at the dealership to see what they could get rate-wise, but fairly confident that they won't be able to match.

Just waiting for a total out the door price from the dealer. When I get it, I'll ask them to throw in the all weather mats as part of the deal.

Got a trade offer from CarMax for my current car and will have that appraised on Friday evening. If Carmax can't give me what I want for it, I may be driving down to the dealership Saturday morning. If Carmax comes through then I'll sell it to them and have the dealership deliver the 4R to me 'cuz it's free anyway.

16. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Interesting, what about the Limited distinguished it from the OR/ORP, for you that is?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  17. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:46 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    A few thoughts: That all sounds great. It's amazing the rates dealers can finagle if needed in order to get the deal done. My dealer started at over 5% (LOL!) and ended up at 2.49 over 72 months in order to make the math work for me. Some months prior, my kid got 1.9 over 60 and he had like no credit history. But that's what it took for the dealer to get the total cost of deal down to what we were looking for. In any case, 2.99 over 72 certainly sounds more than decent.

I don't know how it works in OR, but in my state the sales tax on a new car is calculated based on the sale price of the new car minus the value of the trade. So, at least here, you sometimes do better by trading in than by selling the old car to someplace like Carmax. In my case it saved me like $1500.

I don't want to send you down a rabbit hole here. But the first big thing for me is that it's full-time 4WD, so you don't have to worry about not being in 4WD if you encounter a slippery section of road. On the other models, you can't drive in 4WD unless the road surface is slippery. Dry conditions cause drivetrain binding. So, basically, you're in RWD at all times unless you know you're gonna be driving in the slop -- dirt, mud, snow etc. The second big thing for me is the XREAS shocks, since they are super effective at reducing body roll and brake dive. To me they also seem to make a smoother ride over bumps.

Limited also comes with leather, ventilated seats, dual zone climate control (and where you set the exact temp(s) you want, not just turn a dial warmer or colder), power seats with memory on the driver side, the spare comes mounted on the same kind of wheel as the other four, ability to lock/unlock the car and power up/down the rear hatch window from a button on the exterior of the tailgate (not just from the switch inside the car), better stereo, maybe a couple other things I'm forgetting.

On the negative side, besides price (and all that chrome!), the Limited has a center locking diff only, while the ORP has a locking rear diff. And the XREAS shocks are silly expensive to replace when they die. You can easily and cheaply replace them with standard or high end shocks like you could on any other Runner, but for some inexplicable reason new XREAS shocks cost a bundle.

18. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:49 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Thanks for all of that!

No sales tax in OR (thank goodness!).

19. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    Sounds like a great price, I wouldn't push for to much more. The current sales climate won't really tolerate it. Mine for comparison I purchased in March was 41636, OTD was 43800. That was the best I could muster after searching my entire state, this dealer was 200 miles from me. Great color btw!

Singleminded and Tradbow like this.
  20. Apr 14, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Thanks for the info. Now, just to settle down for a few moments and really make sure this is the commitment I want to make. This vehicle will be so different than any other (excepting an Xterra I had for a year or so) and I need to be sure this is it!

Singleminded likes this.
  21. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Has anyone heard of something called "Safe Key"? It's showing up on my price sheet from the dealer I am buying from.

Also, are many of you purchasing extended warranties from the dealership?

22. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:23 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Safe Key sounds like a BS dealer add on to me. From a google search it seems it's likely a system to prevent impaired driving. Even if it was free, there's no way I'd choose to have a system installed that could prevent me from operating the vehicle because it's computer algorithm thinks I'm impaired. What could possibly go wrong with a system like that?! Seriously, that's just asking for trouble. Ridiculous https://www.safekeycorporation.com

On warranties, some do some don't. As a general rule I think they've been shown to be a bad deal. Lots of fine print and exclusions. If it's from the manufacturer I'd say it's a toss up. If third party or the dealer, personally I'd hide my wallet. Plus, the Runner is one of the absolute most reliable vehicles out there, so odds are low you'd ever need an extended warranty.

23. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    https://www.safekeycorporation.com/pages/how-to-use-our-ignition-interlock-device

Yikes. Can you imagine subjecting yourself to this just to be able to start your car? I mean really. And that's assuming it actually works reliably. Can you imagine having to rush a loved one to the hospital only to be unable to start your car because this system isn't sure you're safe to drive? OMG I can hardly believe this thing even exists.

24. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Thanks. Ive asked them provide more information about SafeKey and Im hoping that it's not already installed.

Im passing on the extended warranty (er, extended service contract) for $4380, lols, and their $1995 "paint protection"...

All in all, they're out the door price is $42431 (after the safekey charge is removed) and Im going to counter with $41850. Hopefully they accept but if not hope they counter with $42k.

EDIT - Per the dealer - Safe Key is a 3-year key fob replacement plan. Here's their pitch:

Safe Key is optional, if your Key fobs are ever damaged, broken, lost, stolen etc, it replaces them for 3 years for free. Up to $800/year. Those smart keys are between $400-$500 each. Just makes sure you always have 2.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Singleminded[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    That all sounds smart to me. If already installed (which would be sleazy IMO) I'd insist that system be removed. I wouldn't want it even if they waived the charge. My hunch is they're trying various ways to inflate the price back up to what they wished it was to start, instead of the good quote they gave you online.

In that regard, I think 42,431 OTD is fair and wouldn't risk blowing up the deal by pushing much.

26. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    After inquiring about TTL, they dealer replied that that they didn't properly calculate Title and Reg which, because we're in OR, we do a 4 year, so they quoted me only half the Title and Reg cost, lols.

27. Apr 15, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    Tradbow

Tradbow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    NW
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM SR5
    I passed on the third key. There are work arounds if you do happen to lose one of your key fobs, just don’t lose the second one too! Technology is mostly great, but I do miss the days when I could have another key made for a few bucks! I agree that you have worked a very good OTD price and as was mentioned the 4Runner has a bullet proof engine and transmission if you keep up on regular maintenance.

28. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Sounds like you found a pretty good deal. As you notice, there's not a lot of them out there, so personally I wouldn't blow it up over a couple hundred bucks. Just think about this: what's your time worth going to all these dealers and searching around?

As far as financing, I would take the 1.9 over 65, and try to pay it off before that. Some people say you're better off just making the payment and putting your money somewhere else, and strictly financially speaking that may be true, but I just hate having a car payment so I paid it off as quickly as possible. Mine was a 60-month loan that I paid off in about 20. Now I'm just making that same "payment" to myself every month.

The TRD wheels are only .5" narrower than the TRD OR or SR5 wheels, so it's really not that big of a difference unless you're trying to put a wide tire on it. Officially you can't fit a 285 on a 7 inch wide wheel, yet look at this board and there are thousands of people that have done it. As you said, those Wheels look really good, and they have a different backspacing from the other wheels that sets them out a little farther, giving it a little bit more of an aggressive look even though they're narrower. Personally I really like that look, and I don't like wide wheels. I wish there were MORE aftermarket wheels 7" wide. A narrower wheel has some advantages, such as being less likely to get damage to the rim, and in certain cases it gives a slightly taller tire profile.

Extended warranty, I would definitely pass. Toyotas are reliable, this is why we buy them. Why the heck should we spring for an extended warranty? When I bought mine they pushed that hard, and I told him if I was interested in purchasing an extended warranty for something I'd be at the Jeep dealer. Long-term reliability was the main reason I bought the 4Runner over a Wrangler, I really, really wanted a Wrangler.

And mine is a 2013 that I bought in 2019 with 79K miles on it. It just hit 115k the other day, and other than having the AC recharged, it hasn't needed any repairs.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    brownersd, Tradbow and Singleminded like this.
  29. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:22 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Hit the jackpot on selling my current vehicle. Was planning only on $4k as I went into this new vehicle purchase process and CarMax offered me $8300! So happy and excited.

EDIT - I decided not to haggle on the price. The price, $41540, is good to me and there's no need to haggle when I think Im getting a good deal. Hell, the cheapest 4Runner they have on the lot right now is a SR5 at $40,214 and the next best price on an ORP is $42,800.

Anyway - Im looking at buying a TRD skid plate or an aftermarket skid plate (provided it doesnt crush the wallet). I understand that the TRD plate doesnt have a removable part to access the oil filter and that folks have experienced stripped bolts and other issues having it pulled off and put back on. How prevalent is this issue?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on an aftermarket plate that does have a cutout for the filter access that's less than $500 and maybe even closer to $400?

I think I'm going to hold on wheels for a bit, but I've been able to find OEM TRD wheels at BAM for under $700 (not incl shipping). Is that a fair price or is there another distributor with a better price?

Lastly, rock rails. I want to make sure I dont mess up the sides of the new truck and it'd be nice to have a small step up. Id love some suggestions...

Again...thanks for all of the advice and suggestions, I forgot how fun and friendly these car forums can be!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  30. Apr 17, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    Tradbow

Tradbow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    NW
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM SR5
    I would look at RCI skid plates. You can get 3/16” powder coated steel for $295 or 1/4” aluminum for $345. Don’t know anything about rock rails. Congrats on your new 4Runner!

Products Discussed in

To Top