1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UPDATE - New T4R Owner in OR

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BeavertonCommuter, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Apr 8, 2021 at 11:45 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey, all...I'm dying to get out of my 2006 300C SRT8 and into a SUV to hit the beaches, forest roads, and eastern high desert areas out here in OR.

TL/DR - Lookin for some advice on some T4Rs that I am finding for sale.

Initially was looking at the T4R, Grand Cherokee (V8 Trailhawk or Limited with Off Road Pkg), Silverado and RAM 1500. Dispensed with the pickups pretty quick and narrowed to the T4R and GC. I'm fairly committed to a T4R now due to overall reliability and that banging rear window that goes down (you dont know how much of a draw that is for me).

However, I'm stumped by the myriad range of trims, part-time 4wd and full-time 4wd, and various options available not to mention that I am really fussed about pre-2020s not having Android Auto (though I understand there are good solutions aftermarket for this) and so many units with the dinky 6" screen. Also, while I see the robust aftermarket for parts and mods, I'm not really tuned into what and for how much ($) I might be looking at to, for example, mod up a SR5 vs modding a OR and ORP.

So, to start, I was wondering if folks might provide some insight into what I am really looking at value-wise for a few T4Rs that I am seeing locally here in OR.

Example - 2015 SR5 Premium with a load of mods that it appears the dealership installed for $43k. I'm not even sure how to evaluate the value of this vehicle - $43k for a 80k mi 2015, but, it appears loaded with a variety of mods that I wouldn't have to do.

Especially when I see 2020 TRD Off Roads for $44k.

I can't imagine that the 2015 SR5 is an especially good deal notwithstanding the goodies the overall package comes with. But, again, I'm not sure how to evaluate such things.

OTOH, this 2019 SR5 for $40k looks attractive. Heritage grills, raptor lights, TRD wheels, looks like predator rails...Yet, a 2021 SR5 with TRD wheels and Predator rails and premium audio is pushing $41k.

But, I don't really understand if there are any real performance differences between something like a SR5 and an OR unit for my use case.

Anyway, long-winded intro thread, appreciate you reading through and appreciate any thoughts, advice, tips you might suggest....

Purchased - 2021 ORP in MGM in April with 30 miles on the clock.

Driver Profile.jpg
    Passenger Profile.jpg
    Front end.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  2. Apr 8, 2021 at 11:57 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Nothing wrong with an sr5. Very capable vehicles and a ton of people have built them up.

The OR/ORP is going to get you a manual transfer case and some other electronic gadgets for off-roading. An sr5 is an automatic transfer case and won’t come with some of those OffRoad features (crawl control, a-trac, etc).

the market is at the highest it’s ever been for these vehicles because of import issues, but with enough looking you can find reasonable pricing. I wouldn’t pay either of those above prices.

3. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:47 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    If I were you, I’d avoid Jordan Motorsports at all costs, they overprice their vehicles like CRAZY and I’ve heard horror stories from people that purchased vehicles through that dealer. Contact Lithia Toyota of Springfield, they should get you a good deal on a new 4runner.
    4runners out here in Oregon retain their value pretty well.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Singleminded likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Thanks for the heads-up on that dealer. I've seem some other comments online about this as well. I will reach out to Lithia in Springfield.

Mtbpsych[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 9, 2021 at 11:07 AM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Is the absence of a manual transfer case or the other electronic gadgets important in the uses I've described, e.g., beach driving, fire roads, high desert overlanding type stuff? I need to look more into these items.

6. Apr 9, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    NotaTRD

NotaTRD It’s my wife’s 4R, she just lets me drive it

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SW SR5
    Feel free to ask
    I believe you meant to say rear locker in lieu of a-trac.

7. Apr 9, 2021 at 1:26 PM
    Tradbow

Tradbow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    NW
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM SR5
    I will add my 2 cents. I live in Oregon and just recently bought a 2021 ORP. I have always made contact with several Toyota dealerships and worked them against each other for the best price when I’m in the market for a new vehicle. It is actually pretty easy now as you can do most of the negotiation online. I have never had great success with Lithia Toyota in Springfield however. Most of the time I have ended up buying from Kendall Toyota in Eugene, but only after I have shown them lower offers elsewhere. As far as SR5 vs OR, it all depends on you budget and what you plan to do with vehicle. Both trims are more than capable and the one behind the wheel makes most of the difference in off road performance IMO. To me the biggest difference between the two is the rear locker in the ORP. ATRAC is pretty impressive. Good luck with your search for a 4Runner!

8. Apr 9, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    Jack Diesel

Jack Diesel New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Premium
    I had an amazing experience with Kendall in Eugene when I bought my 2020 ORP. Did everything on-line, no b.s. Showed up, signed the paperwork and drove off in a little over an hour. My opinion - 4Runners hold their value so well, you may as well get a new one. You won't save a ton of money by buying used so why not just go all in?!

9. Apr 9, 2021 at 2:30 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Appreciate the insights. Id be more interested in buying new if it were affordable and I think because of the affordability issue, I'd be looking more at the SR5s which isn't my preference. Again, though, Im still figuring out the important differences between the SR5, OR, Trail, and Venture.

Edit - OTOH, I am seeing ORPs with MSRPs at $44.5k but for which the NADA Guide puts at $41 and change for Invoice. And that's at the top of my range to afford.

10. Apr 9, 2021 at 2:53 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    If your diligent enough you can get them to move off the msrp for the ORP, out of all the dealers in my state 3 of them budged from msrp while i was shopping.

11. Apr 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Thanks...Im now seeing MSRPs on ORP's and Trail models that are slightly above my budget, but if I can get them down, then it seems more doable.

Looking at a 2021 Trail model (Army Green) for $41k, but it's a dealer that does this so-called clear pricing where they offer a no-haggle "experience", lols.

Edit 2 - The Trail model in that green and cement are such good-looking units, it really is too bad that it has fabric seats, though.

12. Apr 9, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    If your not in a rush and do your shopping around you shouldn't have an issue, took me a month to track one down and get it at the price i wanted. drove 200 miles to pick mine up, but the deal was great and they actually had one.

Singleminded likes this.
  13. Apr 10, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    My wife just tracked down a 99 4Runner. Manual tranny, manual transfer case. We got it from the dealer for $5000.00. The next day, we saw one in Denver, close to the dealer we bought ours from, for $15,000.00. We lucked out. We're in South Central Oregon, and the dealer shipped it to us for $1100.00. We checked, and we couldn't have flown up there to get it, and driven it back here, for that price.
    Granted, not being able to actually look, sniff, touch, etc, the truck before you buy it is a bit problematic, but it worked out well for us. This time.
    The truck is in great shape. A few little nit-noid details to get fixed, but 99% cosmetic. Worst thing we had to do was put new tires on it. As little as we drive any more, though, they'll last us the rest of our lives, I'm sure.

Good luck to you, and most welcome!
    Pat☺

14. Apr 10, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Gonna go look at a 2020 Venture with 6800 miles on it. Dealer is asking $44+, although NADA says that the MSRP was $45.6 and Invoice was $42.2. Gonna take some negotiating. Theyve had it on the lot for 39 days now. If I can get them down to $41.5 I may buy this one.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Tradbow likes this.
  15. Apr 10, 2021 at 5:11 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    44+ you can get a 2021 for near that, hopefully you can get them to move on the price.

16. Apr 10, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Yeah, now I'm fumbling about trying to ask them to take money off. They originally started at a $47k as MSRP but reduced to the current $44. So they're showing me that they've come down $3k already.

I've told them I'm in the $42k range since it is used albeit with 6800 mi on it.

17. Apr 10, 2021 at 5:46 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    $47k is msrp for a new 2021, and most dealers had them listed at 45k when i was looking. That dealer is asking for the price of a new unit for a 1 year old vehicle.

Singleminded likes this.
  18. Apr 10, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    I know and they're not showing they're willing to budge. They're priced right in the market, in other words,out to a 1000 miles they're in the middle of the pack pricing wise. But that's a sample size of 7 vehicles with an avg mileage of 14k miles. I have to imagine they think they'll sell at 44, so I may be walking on this.

19. Apr 10, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    The dealer ended the negotiation at $42,500 with me paying TTL (no sales tax here in OR but some stupid corporate tax that they're passing onto the customer) + doc ($150) out of pocket (my choice). Tried to get $42 flat but they wouldn't go for it. I have the luxury of not having to buy a vehicle right now and while the TRD wheels are a definite + relative to the wheels on the OR Prems, I can pass on this one and be happy. I'm going let it sit on the lot for another week and if it's still there, come in ready to close on the spot for $42000 OTD incl TTL and doc. See what they do with that.

20. Apr 11, 2021 at 10:50 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    On the 2020 Venture I looked at, the hood and bumpers had ppf. But the ppf stopped an eighth of an inch or so from the edges. Is that typical for Toyota installed ppf on the T4Rs?

21. Apr 12, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I admit to being biased toward new cars over used, so take this with a grain of salt. But as others have observed, you're in the price range for a brand new 2021. Not only would a new 2021 mean no doubts about hidden problems with a used vehicle, and more warranty time and miles left, and greater resale value... but the 2021s come with very good LED headlights instead of the crappy halogens on the 2020s, which really make night driving unpleasant and less safe (believe me I know, I bought a 2020 before the 2021s were announced to come with LEDs stock; the headlights are awful).

So maybe at least consider getting a new one and then slowly modifying it to meet your needs as time goes by. Wheels aren't pricey, the stock tires aren't great regardless of model you buy, and if you want a better suspension or lift you'd need to do that on the used one or the new one. Etc. etc.

Regardless, best of luck and please post pics when you get it!

22. Apr 12, 2021 at 2:01 PM
    DSLMHWK79

DSLMHWK79 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    I was in between a '20 TRD PRO and a '19 TRD ORP Premium. I went with the ORP Premium, which also had matte grey TRD wheels. I added the TRD skid as well as the TRD Pro grille and I like the way it looks. Saved money to spend on more mods!

23. Apr 12, 2021 at 2:03 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Good choice as that was a hefty saving sand you get the mods you want. Im struggling between this Venture and a 2021 ORP with a MSRP of $41 and change. The blacked out stuff is awash for me, but I like the TRD wheels on the venture so much better than the stock ORP wheels.

24. Apr 12, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    DSLMHWK79

DSLMHWK79 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Yep....all I wanted was the TRD wheels...and the ORP Prem package. I lucked out and a dealer had exactly what I was looking for in stock at then end of 2019. I walked in threw out a fair..but low number and they took it.

25. Apr 12, 2021 at 2:39 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    If all your after is the wheels from the venture package then just opt for those on a 21' ORP. I have to agree with the above comment about the led headlights, they are great and would push me towards a 21' over a 20' especially with the price so close.

26. Apr 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    Ah, is that one of the differences between the 20 and 21 is the LED headlights? I guess I missed that.

27. Apr 12, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Indeed. BIG difference. The halogens on 2020 and earlier have very poor throw (distance) and are terrible at illuminating the road off to the sides. Don't fall for the trap of thinking you can fix them with an easy upgrade. The best choice is prob to modify some standard H9 bulbs and swap them in for the stock H11 bulbs. I did it and it's not hard and really helps -- but is also by no means a panacea. The aftermarket drop in LED bulbs work like doo-doo -- don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. The aftermarket full-housing replacement LED systems aren't great either and super expensive, etc etc etc. Also, Toyota has yet to offer the 2021 units for retrofit into the older models, as they do with their new LED foglights. Not saying they can't or won't, but so far it's not something that dealers are offering to do. So no guarantee they ever will. Which means at best you might have to do it as a hack.

PS. TRD wheels aren't expensive if you want to add them later. Here's an example: https://www.oempartsource.com/oem-p...1bm5lciZ5PTIwMTQmdD1zcjUmZT00LTBsLXY2LWdhcw==

My local dealer is selling them for $215 each.

28. Apr 12, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    BeavertonCommuter[OP] likes this.
  29. Apr 13, 2021 at 3:12 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

Member:
    My local Beaverton, OR Toyota dealer offers a "complimentary" 7-year/100,000 mile warranty when purchasing a new car there (comparable to Toyota's CPO used car warranty as they explained it). Anyone see a similar warranty offered for new Toyota vehicles? Could this be a dealer-specific offer? I'm trying to gauge how I should value this warranty offer as part of the purchase price. This same dealer uses a no-haggle pricing model called Clear, too.

30. Apr 13, 2021 at 4:23 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    Place I bought mine from offers powertrain for life as long as you own the vehicle and have it serviced by them. I will be doing my own maintenance so it's not a huge selling point for me. Is that a 7yr 100k powertrain or bumper to bumper warranty?

Products Discussed in

To Top