1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Potential Spring Issue??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by GB97, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Nov 15, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    GB97

GB97 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gina
    Vehicle:
    1997 Black 4Runner
    Hello,

I recently got my 97 4x4 4Runner, less than 100k miles on it, decided to make a project out of it since it has such a long life ahead I'm hoping. Forgive my ignorance ahead of time, it's a learning opportunity for me as well (as a 23 y/o female I'm not familiar with building something like this, esp. taking it on alone). I wanna make it somethin to look forward to.

Anyways, I made my first purchase for the vehicle. I'm sure a lot of people will have opinions on it but what I'm really looking for is clarification on the rear springs.

I bought the king coilovers from SRQ, extended travel, upgraded UCAs with the king rear shocks. The website does not state the lift of these but I'm assuming its 2.5" as I've seen on these for sale on other sites. Here's where I made the mistake: I got the 891 rear springs which state they equate to 3" lift and I'm thinking this is too much and the vehicle may end up higher in the back? I wanted to see if maybe there is some aspect of this I'm not realizing or taking into consideration. Should I get different springs or do you think these would work?

It's been about 8 weeks since I placed the order. About to follow it up with new tires and wheels, 17in on 33s, maybe 34s but don't think that would be a safe bet.

Thank you guys in advance for your help. I do appreciate it and hope I can come back for more help as this thing takes shape. &Yes I have spent hours searching for this answer on other forums but have a hard time understanding everything that is being said and would rather just ask than wonder.

2. Nov 15, 2020 at 8:11 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum Gina.

GB97[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 16, 2020 at 3:14 AM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

4. Nov 16, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Your 4Runner is already a little higher in the back than it is in the front as it sits stock (unless you have saggy rear coils).

2.5" is what King recommends as the max lift height on those front coilovers. You can go a little higher, but I personally think you should stay at the 2.5" recommendation.

You'll really be jacking the rear end quite a bit higher than the front with a 3" lift coil in the back. I think something around 2" would be more appropriate for your uses. It would still allow you to retain some rake but won't be overly high in the back.

Products Discussed in

To Top