1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible to turn on bsm/cross traffic alert?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by gatehealing, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Jul 10, 2022 at 10:52 PM
    gatehealing

gatehealing [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2021 4Runner nightshade. It has radar assisted cruise, lane departure warning, brake assist, and parking assist, but not blind spot monitoring or cross traffic alert.

Im wondering if it’s already got the equipment for those but would just need ‘em to be turned on somehow. I know my side mirrors don’t have the orange icons that light up, but wonder if there’s auditory alert for bsm that could be activated.

I swear I remember somebody talking about “hacking” their car to activate features that were there but not turned on by the factory and am wondering if there’s a way to do this.

j

2. Jul 11, 2022 at 1:53 AM
    Old Red

Old Red New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner SR5 4x4 MGM & 1994 Pickup 4WD Garnett Pearl
    It's a long list...
    I can 100% tell you it is not possible to "turn on" BSM/RCTA on your 21.

22MY have a "newer" instrument cluster (new part number, etc.) with the programming for the menu/feature, not to mention additional lights, different gauge face for those lighted icons. You also do not have the BSM modules, wiring, or mounts on the rear quarter panel for those modules. That also doesn't cover the fact that there is likely newer programming in the main body ECU for those modules on the vehicle CAN BUS. Unlike other manufacturers, the only "hacking" you can do with Toyota vehicles is turn on and off customizable features that are made available to change in Techstream. If you want BSM/RCTA, I would suggest trading it in for a 22MY, or find an aftermarket solution if you really like your nightshade (best version of the limited they made in my opinion).

Hope that clarifies things for you :thumbsup:

whippersnapper02 and 2Toys like this.
  3. Jul 12, 2022 at 6:35 PM
    gatehealing

gatehealing [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thx!

4. Jul 12, 2022 at 7:24 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas