1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint protection film option on new 4runner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by SCgman, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Aug 17, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    SCgman

SCgman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner SR5 4wd
    Front plate bracket install Step hitch insert install Cargo area Pet barrier Protective seat covers Front seats Yakima roof rack- detachable Rear molle storage panels w/ Connecting shelf
    Good, bad, indifferent......what say you? Lots of runners have this on full hood.

2. Aug 17, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    oldtimer

oldtimer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robin
    Edmonton, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner Army Green
    4 x 4 Innovations sliders Greenlane Rear hatch ladder
    definitely worth while as it does protect from rock chips. If you are paying MSRP, you should be able to negotiate that at no charge, along with a few other items like all season mats, locking lug nuts and what ever else you want to negotiate for.....

3. Aug 17, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    SCgman

SCgman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner SR5 4wd
    Front plate bracket install Step hitch insert install Cargo area Pet barrier Protective seat covers Front seats Yakima roof rack- detachable Rear molle storage panels w/ Connecting shelf
    Well, I do think it's a good product and my 18 sr5 4wd has it.......but a 19 TRD that's been sitting on the local lot MSRP less than 40k does not, nor does it have running boards which I find really convenient when washing the truck.....however, when I purchased the sr5 a bunch of warranties for the film were offered which I declined, so I'm wondering how the product holds up long term during the gore/aoc global bake off takes place.

4. Aug 17, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    porsche356a

porsche356a New Member

Member:
    I have full hood/fenders/bumpers/mirrors/door cups on my Pro. I recommend Xpel Ultimate installed by a good aftermarket shop. Dealers never get it right. A 4runner is a surprisingly difficult shape to do correctly.

4runGirl88 and 4Runner fun like this.
  5. Aug 17, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    Living the dream

Living the dream New Member

Member:
    ABQ
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R Off-Road KDSS
    When I purchased mine the dealership had put on the film at the port of entry, but was charged as a $400 option on the Mulroney sticker, within 1 month of ownership it started turning yellow, (I have a super white) I complained about it and the service manager, without even looking at it was kinda a dick about it and said “that’s impossible” “we only use the highest quality film” I was like okay come out and take a look and you tell me it’s not turning yellow. Sure enough he walks out with another service guy and immediately he apologized “ya your right it is turning yellow”. Long story longer I was told I had to wait 2 months for a Toyota regional manager to look at it to give the okay to replace it. I said hell no why would I want it replaced just to have it turn yellow again, and I paid $38k for a vehicle that looks like someone had wiped urine on my hood and fenders. After two weeks of me calling and sending pictures to the general manager daily along with Toyota customer service they agreed to have a paint and body shop remove it. The general manager finally conceded that they would never have the film put on any of the super white vehicles again. So my recommendation is if you have super white don’t do it.

KSJ08 likes this.
  6. Aug 17, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    porsche356a

porsche356a New Member

Member:
    Yep. The factory stuff is garbage, go aftermarket. Mine is also Super White.

7. Aug 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    We did Xpel (full front clip, mirrors & doors) plus ceramic coating.
    Yes, the 4runner is hard to wrap. We need a few corrections on ours.
    It is very easy to wash & stays clean longer!
    It is not cheap!
    Good luck
    Check it out...
    https://youtu.be/ND4vE9vmQWE

8. Aug 17, 2019 at 2:37 PM
    SCgman

SCgman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner SR5 4wd
    This is my 2nd 4runner with some degree of film protection by the dealer and I've had no issues......if, and a big if....if I thought I could get into a TRD without the film and runners would I miss those options if my $$s are close to the same. I'm not a big after market sort.

9. Aug 17, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Factory paint protection is usually 3m or Xpels lower end wrap.
    It is all aftermarket. Fyi

10. Aug 17, 2019 at 2:49 PM
    SCgman

SCgman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner SR5 4wd
    Thx for the info.

4Runner fun likes this.
  11. Aug 17, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    redneckj

redneckj New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4Runner
    working on it
    Xpel Ultimate is the way to go. 10 year warranty. You can go to Xpel's site and use the dealer locator and find a dealer in your area. Visit that dealer in person and look at their work and explain to them your concerns and find out what they recommend. The Xpel Ultimate does exactly what it is suppose to do. Stop rock chips and surface scratches. Their motto is "drive a new car every day". It is NOT a force field and will not stop a flying brick from damaging your hood. The super thin paint that is applied to cars and trucks chips a lot easier than it use to. Adding xpel is an investment in keeping your paint looking new day after day and year after year. Good luck with your decision.

rsimi72 and 4Runner fun like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top