1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ovs 270 Nomadic Awning

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by VuduPro, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Dec 18, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    VuduPro

VuduPro [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO 4Runner
    I recently bought a OVS Nomadic 270 awning for my 2019 TRD PRO. it has the factory roof basket (fj style).

I thought I had a way to mount the awning to the top basket, but I think the bracket mount I bought, the FOURTREKS modular mounts, going into the track system of the awning won’t fit/be long enough; because my specific awning wasn’t listed.

Anybody have an idea or solution to get the right size awning mounts for the awning, which also fits the tubular basket? I’m really not trying to buy a whole new rack, due to me not needing that entire set up.

2. Dec 18, 2020 at 11:41 PM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

3. Jan 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    Pure4Runner

Pure4Runner Pure4Runner.com

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner, 2008 FJ Cruiser, 2010 Tundra
    Pure Branded Sliders, Icon Suspension, ARB OUtback Console, Baja Designs Lights, BajaRack Ladder, Baja Rack Spy Light System, Banks IQ Man-Machine Interface, Body Mount Chop, Bushwacker Flares, Cabin FIlter, Carbon Fiber Door Handles, CB Radio, Cowl Light Bracket, Custom Light Brackets, DBC Grille, EBC Brakes & Rotors, Edge CTS, Expedition One Front Bumper, skinny Toyo Open Country MTs, Fenix LED Hood Light, Fourtreks Mounts, Halo Headlights, Hood Decal, KC LZR LED, Locking Billet Gas Cap, MBRP Exhaust, Method Race Wheels, Overland Springs, Power Stop Brakes, Putco LED Headlights, Spring Booster, RCI SKid Plates, Rear Window Screen, Rhino Rack Awnings, Roll Top Console, Sound Proofing, Spare Tire Spacer, SPOD, Stereo Instal, Badges, Blackout Kits, Wheel Bearings and Spacers....etc..
    What was your solution, VuduPro?

4. Apr 24, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    crownmountain

crownmountain New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP
    Dobinsons IMS, 33" Baja Boss, sliders, Gobi Rack, 270 awning
    I'm only chiming in here because I had success with an inexpensive solution and it might help someone.

I ended up moving the factory crossbars to the top tubes of the rack. I then replaced the crossbar tightening screws (with the knobs on them) with bolts that matched the thread of the factory ones and used them to bolt down the provided OVS mounting brackets. Worked like a charm and never came loose or felt sketchy.

A couple of notes:

a) Account for the added thickness of the mounting bracket when choosing the length your bolts.

b) The added height by mounting the awning brackets in the top tube of the rack will maximise the amount your rear hatch can open underneath the awning. You can use this method on the lower tube, but your hatch won't be able to open much with the awning deployed.

a) The hatch will hit the awning support beam above it, I used a piece of pool noodle on the beam to rest the hatch against.

Hope that helps someone! I recently switched to a gobi stealth rack and how have figure out a new solution for getting the awning high enough to still use it with my hatch open.

BionicRandy likes this.
  5. Apr 24, 2022 at 1:15 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    It seems like no matter which roof rack you have, some sort of customization, fitting, and fabrication of something is necessary to get a good or convenient fit lol.

i just spent the better part of a day on figuring out how to mount my antenna to the rack cleanly, and without having to take the caps off. I figured finding some flat rectangular nuts would be perfect to slot into the factory rails.

Nope, could find anything at several hardware stores. Short of putting it off for another day and ordering on Amazon, I bought some round dowel rod/nuts made for furniture, and ground them down flat.

FC85E8A9-9576-40B7-AF0A-243D90FEECFD.jpg

If you have a bit of a workshop space, i find a little welder, grinder, hack saw/bandsaw, and drill are super helpful making whatever brackets you need. Took me 15 years of wanting a small shop setul to get it, but man is it helpful. A basic setup isnt much more than some of our single purpose accessories we buy for our 4runners

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    crownmountain[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 24, 2022 at 6:50 PM
    GtownRunner

GtownRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD Pro
    None Yet
  7. Apr 25, 2022 at 9:51 AM
    crownmountain

crownmountain New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP
    Dobinsons IMS, 33" Baja Boss, sliders, Gobi Rack, 270 awning
    I purchased those thinking I would need them but figured out my simpler, cheaper solution before they even shipped. Fortunately I was able to cancel the order. Seems like a solid option though.

Products Discussed in

To Top