1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME vs Dobinsins

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RLHOK, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Jan 27, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    RLHOK

RLHOK [OP] Keeper of the smoke and all things BBQ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road
    2022 TRD off Road 4Runner, rolling stock baby.
    Hey folks

already looking at a suspension upgrade for this 4Runner

I have experience with OME nitrochargers

I see some folks running Dobinsons

can anyone fill me in on the difference between the two if there is any?

thanks

2. Jan 27, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    All I know is Bilstien 5100 are more comfy than OME nitrochargers.

And;
    I have more faith abusing OME nitrochargers on trails driving fast & little jumps. I don't have that confidence with Bilstien 5100s by the looks. OME nitrocharger joints looks stronger.

LandCruiser likes this.
  3. Jan 27, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I would get Dobinsons out of those two. Not that I've really heard of any problems with OME. I just know a few guys running Dobinsons and seem very happy.

4. Jan 27, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    RLHOK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    i had OME on my last tundra and was very pleased

need to research the dobinsons more

the dealership said they can order a rough country kit for $500 that’s not a spacer kit but I am not sure on that brand.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 27, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    T4R13

T4R13 New Member

Member:
    Clarksburg wv
    Vehicle:
    19 sr5p
    I started with ome struts, shocks and coils. Coils sagged real bad and now I’m using dobinsons coils. Like my nitro chargers better than bilstien

captrussia253 and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Jan 27, 2022 at 1:42 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I definitely wouldn't hesitate to go with ome if you had good luck with them in the past.

I hear mixed things about Rough Country. I think with suspension you do get what you pay for to an extent. The Rough Country kit might be just fine for a lot of people, but maybe wouldn't hold up to as much abuse as some of the more expensive stuff. But, that's just a guess. I have no personal experience with it.

Justkelvin likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2022 at 1:45 PM
    RLHOK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    I am not a hard off roader, mostly a pavement pounder but there are a few wildlife refuges I like to hit from time to time. For what I want to do a 1.5 - 2 inch lift suspension will be more than enough then add in some new AT tires.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 27, 2022 at 1:52 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I doubt it would be a safe thing to expect the same ride Tundra vs 4Runner with OME how OME design between the 2 with about 800lbs weight difference and different suspension design.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  9. Jan 27, 2022 at 2:03 PM
    RLHOK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    That I understand, so thats why I am asking questions from those who have walked this path.

10. Jan 27, 2022 at 2:46 PM
    afret

afret 2022 ORP, KDSS, Toyo AT3

Member:
    North Idaho
    Are you talking about the Toyota dealer? My local dealer can order Bilstein and Eibach. They may be able to order more brands but I just wanted Eibach. It might be worth it to ask your dealer if they can order brand other than Rough Country. I'm having them install Eibach front and rear shock after the 4R gets there and before I pick it up. I thought about ordering assembled Dobinsons front shocks with the 1" lift spring and having the dealer install it but I figure it's best to just get the Eibachs and have them completely own any problems if any occur. Hopefully not. Plus I'm pretty sure the lift settings on the Bilsteins and Eibachs are pretty accurate since it's a pretty much know factor but I'm not that sure about the Dobinsons. I just want to make sure there isn't too much front lift and creating the need to lift the rear.

11. Jan 27, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    RLHOK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:

Yes I am talking about the toyota dealer.

Not sure what route I am going to go with this if any at the moment. Still having some thoughts about the purchase second guessing myself.

I know its a well made vehicle with a strong demand on the market and is reliable and durable.

Just having second thoughts not that it does any good, sales done, so I am stuck for a little while.

12. Jan 27, 2022 at 6:18 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I got the Dobinsons IMS series, assembled struts and with normal (not comfort) valving for the rear shocks.

I am very happy with them. Ive put around 10,000miles on them, probably a 500 of that on various trails and gravel roads.

They did run a little high…. I got 2.5in/1.5in lift dobinson springs. The fronts were estimated by dobs to drop around .5in with a hybrid bumper and winch, but they didnt. After install, it was almost at 3inches lift, and the back around 2.5

I recently measures and it has settled about .5in on all 4 wheels. Which is pretty much target range.

Holding up to abuse is definitely an important quality, not that Id go out of my way to abuse them. But the other important thing is the ride. The ride with the Dobs is a beautiful thing (at least for my tastes). Totally different feel from stock, firmer, but very well controlled damping. Zero bobbing, zero floating feeling. Honestly feels like how you would expect a Bmw would ride. No harshness over choppy roads or terrain. All of this goes for either loaded or unloaded.

I’m no expert in suspensions, but I am quite sensitive to knowing a shitty suspension when I feel one. The quality of damping is the biggest factor for me. The stock damping I thought was fine. Softly sprung and softly damped, and well balanced…but maybe easily overwhelmed because of that. But day to day, stock was fine, comfortable, and not aggravating.

The Dobs have a different character because they are firmer, but very well balanced in regards to compression and rebound traits, and also in balance in terms of front to back feel. Oddly, firmness does not make things uncomfortable, like maybe some would think, as long as the damping is dialed in. Dobs absolutely nailed damping on these.

As long as they are long term reliable, I would see no reason for me to try anything else.

SugarRhino, Crikeymike, 21TOR and 4 others like this.
  13. Jan 27, 2022 at 7:41 PM
    RLHOK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:

Thank you for that review.

14. Jan 27, 2022 at 11:24 PM
    donnermel

donnermel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Trail Premium Super White w/ KDSS
    Dobinsons lift and UCA, RCI sliders and front engine skid, H9 bulb swap, Sprint Booster, KnN air filter, Canvasback covers, Raingler cargo net, AVS Window Shade deflectors, Heritage Grill with raptor lights Summer Wheels: Ryder RR03 matte gunmetal with Falken Wildpeaks 285/75/17 Winter Wheels: 18” KD Wheels with Blizzaks Rack is OEM - but changed to black with LFD crossbars Diode Dynamics Ss3 fogs
    1. Thank you for the review of the Dobinsons ⬆️
    I’m about to buy Dobinsons set up ASAP and this was super helpful
    2. When do you think the suspension settled? I was thinking of buying the 2.5” up front and 2” in back, hoping for 2” all around once settled- but 3” would seem high since it’s my DD too.
    3. I had been considering the comfort struts vs regular and was wondering about the ride quality difference? Anyone have either to compare?
    It is my DD, but I go off roading quite often, we go out to Death Valley and Utah/ Sedona where it can get real too. But I definitely want to be comfortable on the pavement too. Is there a best of both worlds?

15. Jan 28, 2022 at 12:04 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I think it slowly settled over the 10000miles, but I didnt take regular measurements over time, so not sure on that.

I got the standard valved shock because Crickeymike told me it the damping feels normal once you have about 100lbs in the back. Im pretty close to that anyway with tools and regular crap I keep back there, so it sounded right for me. I didnt want to end up with insufficient damping when loaded up for camping, and makes more sense in case I decide to increase my spring rate in the future.

even when Im empty in back it still feels good. It’s just a bit more “truckish”.

Crikeymike and donnermel[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Feb 3, 2022 at 5:55 PM
    Heckler44

Heckler44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture Silver
    I asked a lot of questions and read many reviews and write ups on both kits. I ended up going with the kit below which is being installed today and tomorrow (2/3 - 2/4). Can't wait to get it back.

OME-4RBP51 - Old Man Emu BP51 Suspension Kit 2.5-3" Lift Kit For 10+ 4Runner (No KDSS)

Front Coilovers with Fit Kit
    1 x OME-24RBP51 - OME BP-51 Bypass Front Coilovers - 2010+ 4Runner

Rear Shocks with Fit Kit
    1 x BP5160025-P - OME BP-51 Bypass Rear Shocks - 2010 +FJ Cruiser & 2010+ 4Runner

Rear Coils
    1 x OME-889 - Old Man Emu Rear Springs

SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms (FJ Cruiser, 03+ 4Runner and 03+ Lexus GX470/GX460)

Toytec Front Differential Drop Kit - 05+Tacoma, 03+4Runner, 07-14 FJ Cruiser, 03+GX

Toyo Open Country A/T III LT285/70R17/10

Lug Kit - 12mm x 1.5 Acorn Spline Drive Black Lug Nut Kit

Icon Alloys "Raider" Wheel / 6x5.5-Satin Black

17. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:07 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    Ome on Tacoma and 4R will never buy them again. Reason spring sag is horrible. Switched to dobinsons and amazing ride and no sag. The ome’s sagged bad in less then 2k miles

SugarRhino and Crikeymike like this.
  18. Feb 4, 2022 at 8:28 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    Keep a weather eye on your front diff after that diff drop. Decent amount of issues can arise with frankly not enough positive attributes. I know the idea is to keep your CV geometry closer to stock after lifting but there are enough stories of new vibrations popping up and reports of oil not being distributed right in the diff to think it isnt worth it, not to mention few skid plates are made for install over diff drops. Just food for thought https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/remove-the-differential-drop-on-your-05-tacoma.118545/

Justkelvin likes this.
  19. Feb 12, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    donnermel

donnermel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Dobinsons lift and UCA, RCI sliders and front engine skid, H9 bulb swap, Sprint Booster, KnN air filter, Canvasback covers, Raingler cargo net, AVS Window Shade deflectors, Heritage Grill with raptor lights Summer Wheels: Ryder RR03 matte gunmetal with Falken Wildpeaks 285/75/17 Winter Wheels: 18” KD Wheels with Blizzaks Rack is OEM - but changed to black with LFD crossbars Diode Dynamics Ss3 fogs
    I’m very interested in this posting…
    The shop that is installing my lift
    (Dobinsons 2.5” front, 2” rear) suggested I do the diff drop. I’m reading lots of issues for not enough pay off.
    I’m also wondering about the ECGS bushing replacement that lots of people need after a lift. Does anyone have more links for reference or suggestions?

seattledude likes this.
  20. Feb 15, 2022 at 10:03 PM
    homesteader

homesteader New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD OR lunar rock w/KDSS
    I’ll be doing a Dobinson lift hopefully this weekend.

donnermel and RLHOK[OP] like this.
  21. Feb 15, 2022 at 11:33 PM
    donnermel

donnermel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! Which set up?

22. Feb 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM
    homesteader

homesteader New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    IMS
    Dobinson UCA
    Treaty oak KDSS spacers
    Diff drop

Doza615 and donnermel like this.
  23. May 7, 2022 at 10:56 AM
    21TOR

21TOR New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Some
    Bumping this thread because I am considering Dobinsons for my wife's 4Runner suspension. Everyone still happy with their Dobinson set ups?

24. May 7, 2022 at 11:35 AM
    Superdave1.0

Superdave1.0 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    With Dobinsons the lead times can be outrageous. Whatever you order, make damn sure it's actually in stock or have a solid lead time. A friend of mine waited over 6 months for his dobinsons kit.

21TOR likes this.
  25. May 8, 2022 at 9:27 PM
    donnermel

donnermel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Yes, love mine!! Went with the whole Dobinsons kit and upper control arms.

21TOR[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. May 8, 2022 at 9:36 PM
    blackcloud08

blackcloud08 They're Watching Us....

Member:
    Old thread but figured it may help someone. I put the basic OME kit on my 2018 and the ride was very stiff and the front "heavy" coils sagged badly with an ARB summit and Warn Zeon 10k winch. I ended up switching to the Toytec boss kit with their 700lb springs. The boss kit held the weight and rode better than the OME but I ended up adding a .25" spacers to get the front end level. The OME kit is very durable and built to last but comfort wasn't there at all IMO.

21TOR likes this.
  27. May 8, 2022 at 10:37 PM
    homesteader

homesteader New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’m happy so far just did a lift on my wife’s 4Runner. Just waiting to see if there will
    be any spring sag on the rears. The rear sits a little higher then I want it.

kruschev and 21TOR like this.
  28. May 12, 2022 at 11:32 AM
    ShaggyDoge

ShaggyDoge New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner SR5 Premium
    Hey guys, posting here for some information on the Dobinson's lift kit. I'm just gonna link the email I sent to Dobinson's directly for information but wanted to hear feedback from people who have it installed on their trucks. See below and thanks for viewing!

Howdy,

My name is Trevor and I am currently looking into lifting my 2020 4runner SR5 Premium with your 0-3.0" Lift Kit. I am looking to achieve a front 2.75inch front and 1.0inch rear lift on my 4runner with stock weight to achieve a leveled stance. I am mainly looking to have the lift done to improve on-road performance and aesthetics, but will also likely do some light off-roading for upcoming camping trips. That being said, I have a few questions:

1. I see that the site recommends diff drop and sway bar modifications for 3 inch lifts. Would you recommend these modifications since I am planning to have a 2.75in front lift?

2. Similar to the first, the site recommends the sway bar links/modification for lifts over 3 inches. If my desired lift is 2.75in would these be recommended?

3. I've read that monontubes offer a smoother ride. Since I plan on mainly road driving my vehicle, would you recommend the monotubes as a more comfortable road ride or would the twin tube shocks work just fine?

4. I've listed the parts that I went through on your site builder to suit what I think I would need, is this what you would recommend for my purposes or are there different parts you would recommend?

Current Build:
    Front Coil: C59-314 - Stock - 3" | with 110-220lbs - 2.5"
    Front Strut: IMS59-50574 - IMS non-resi monotube Extended travel (2-3.5" lifts)
    Rear Coil: C59-599 - 1" with stock weight
    Rear Shock: IMS59-50705 - IMS non-resi monotube - comfort valved for light rigs (0-2.5" lift)
    UCAs: Dobinsons Pre-Assembled Front UCAs
    Sway Bar: Relocation and Links

Thanks!
    Trevor

29. May 12, 2022 at 7:04 PM
    21TOR

21TOR New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Some
    Thanks - just read through the lead times, best case sounds like 4 months if everything is in stock. At least that's how I read it, guess I'll probably have to call to verify.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  30. May 13, 2022 at 5:07 AM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    Your best bet is to contact @Crikeymike or any dobinsons vendor and just ask if it’s in stock. Last year when I ordered my mrr kit I had it in 3 days since I chose to assemble myself. It would have been a week if I had them assemble it. I do now some people waited a while to get certain things like the 749v springs were back ordered due to cargo ship issues so I changed my springs to 705v and actually was glad I did. You won’t regret the dobinsons over a similar brand. Whatever you do don’t buy ome springs. Their shocks are ok. But the springs are garbage as referenced above. They can’t handle prolong weight.

Crikeymike and 21TOR[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top