1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME Nitrocharger shocks with OEM Springs?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Trj617, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Jul 5, 2021 at 9:03 AM
    Trj617

Trj617 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sr5 premium 4runner
    Front spacers, nerf step bars
    Hey guys-

Couldn’t find a thread that had a clear answer or information to help with my decision on what to run.

Currently all stock outside of coil spacers on the front and nerf step bars.

I eventually want to get a front/rear bumpers, roof rack, skid plate and some sort of rooftop or cargo tent. The tent will probably be the first one as a bumper doesn’t provide “shelter” for camping.

Leaning towards OME nitro chargers (all 4 corners) over 5100’s, but could be swayed back to 5100’s if anyone has experience deciding between the two. With that, thinking of keeping stock springs on until I “finish” my build as I won’t have much additional weight to compress a firmer spring.

Is that logical? Or would it be better/easier to match the shocks with the “light load” spring OME offers?

Happy with the look my spacers give me and not looking to lift it to the point of needing to replace UCA… Yet. But that could potentially change, though unlikely.

Really hoping to avoid a “firm” ride. Not necessarily unhappy with stock setup, but just hit 60k and would really like to get rid of the “bounce back” (for the life of me cannot think of the term for this right now) and improve overall ride quality.

Outside of creeping through a trail to find a good camping spot, will not be doing aggressive off roading or climbing.

2. Jul 5, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    + OME nitro sports with OME springs are fun on trails to drive faster or even do some little jumps. It's really really strong.
    - OME ride on road is really bad. You will feel every crack and bump.

+ Bilstien 5100 with stock springs are comfy on road. Really like the ride quality.
    - You can't play hard on them. I feel that is bottom out when I drive hard on a bump.

***I'm thinking to upgrade from Bilstien 5100 to OME BP-51. (Haven't decided yet. I was looking for something that gives excellent ride comfort on road. I'm someone who loves really soft setup like stock SR5 shocks.)

Update -
    My Readylift spacer lift was far better than OME nitro setup when it comes to comfort.

Trj617[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 5, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I believe the OME shocks are progressive shocks (correct me if I’m wrong), so they will offer a better ride on road than the 5100’s that are digressive. I have the 5100’s and they ride fine, but they are on the stiffer side which I prefer as it offers better handling and less body roll. Unless you’re carrying extra weight up front, I wouldn’t see an issue with the light load springs but I also have no experience with them so I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Trj617[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top