1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD II Dongle for Viewing Data

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Gone4Wheeling, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Aug 7, 2022 at 8:50 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Gone4Wheeling [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited
    Just got my 2022 Limited 4Runner and want to monitor these critical parameters when traveling and pulling a trailer:
    • oil temp
    • oil pressure
    • auto transmission temp

I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find much on Bluetooth OBD II devices.

Not interested in anything hard wired or device that needs to be mounted in the vehicle. There are a lot of Bluetooth OBD II dongles/scanners that can be used to connect to iPhone, I saw one on YouTube where they downloaded the app to the car and displayed the information directly on the car’s multi-media screen, pretty cool!

I started looking at theOBDLink LX Bluetooth Scanner.

The OBDLink LX has “Battery Saver” which doesn’t use power when engine is off so you can leave the dongle installed on the car and is supplied with the OBDLink APP for iPhones. The OBDLink APP lets you read live parameters, create virtual dashboards showing multiple vehicle sensors which should provide the parameters I want to see if the 4Runner’s computer is monitoring them. I could link my iPhone to the 4Runner and view on the multi-media screen.

Anyone using this one or similar one that can provide their experience?

2. Aug 8, 2022 at 6:01 AM
    UofLCardfan77

UofLCardfan77 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Gray
    Black Out Overlays, Windows tinted (front doors),
    Sounds interesting. Following to see if anyone has any experience with it.

3. Aug 8, 2022 at 6:29 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  4. Aug 8, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    21Venture

21Venture Roof Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Edinburg, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 4R Venture Super White & 2007 FJ
    4R-TerraFlex Falcon Sport/Tow 2/1 Lift/Level, Nise Rack Crossbars, KO2 LT265-70-17 FJ- Icon Stage 3, 4.56 gears and 10k winch
    I have a Carista ODB dongle and run DashCommander. Also have the Crista app. Still looking for an app the will show the 3 parameters you listed.
    I regularly monitor coolant temp and intake temp but really got the stuff for trans temp. No joy yet.

https://caristaapp.com/vehicles/toyota/4runner/5th-gen

5. Aug 8, 2022 at 8:37 AM
    Overland WT

Overland WT Grumpy Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Many with many more to go
    Carista look slike a nice setup, but if it were me, I'd consider running a seperate android tablet and using and app like Torque. Tons of data sensor monitoring. I've used it in the past with great results. With my previous Jeeps, I ran Jscan and it was awesome, but only for Jeep, Chrysler and Mercedes using CANBUS systems.

21Venture likes this.
  6. Aug 8, 2022 at 1:37 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited
    The iPhone app included with the MX+ or the LX is the OBDLink app for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Android which is included with purchase of any OBDLink adapter.

Per the website the OBDLink app can read diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs),clear check engine lights, access and display information from your car's computer modules, perform OEM maintenance procedures, map trips in real-time and allso read live parameters, create virtual dashboards showing multiple vehicle sensors, estimate fuel economy, and more.

I just cannot tell if the multiple sensors include the parameters I want.

Slopemaster likes this.
  7. Aug 8, 2022 at 1:38 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited
    Thanks, but I don't want any other devices like a tablet to fiddle with in the car.

8. Aug 8, 2022 at 1:42 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited

According to the Csrista website it "Reads useful information about how your engine is running: RPMs, coolant temperature, fuel consumption, you name it!" but apparently not the three parameters I want per your statement. Is that correct?

9. Aug 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Good luck. Hoping someone with experience can chime in for you.

10. Aug 8, 2022 at 4:22 PM
    matoolie

matoolie Taking it a day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    I use OBD fusion with Toyota pack and there are tons of variables, literally hundreds, available in the app. However, your particular vehicle model first has to have the variables programmed to be accessible through the OBD port. Unfortunately it appears the 4runner does not have oil pressure or temp accessible as I get no data when selecting these. The transmission converter and pan temps are available though.

11. Aug 8, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited

Thank you providing that information. If I understand, OBD Fusion is the iPhone app which can be purchase from the Apple store for about $10. I assume the "Toyota pack" you mention is the OBD adapter, but did not see that when I searched on the web for it.

The 4runner must at least monitor oil pressure to turn on an oil pressure alarm. I thought I read somewhere that somethings can be turned on to be displayed. I'll have to find where I read that.

Also did you have access to the enhanced diagnostics in OBD Fusion for the 4Runner? Apparently if you purchase the enhanced diagnostics, you get access to "hundreds of parameters and sensors that are not available over standard OBD II".

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  12. Aug 9, 2022 at 5:49 AM
    matoolie

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    Yes, OBD Fusion is the iPhone app. The Toyota/Lexus/Scion pack is the in-app purchase of the "enhanced diagnostics" specific to Toyota vehicles. Ranging from engine variables to window controls to safety features (radar, lane departure, etc.). Like I said it is literally hundreds.

I went back through the list of variables and the only oil pressure item is "Status of the Engine Oil Pressure SW / OFF or ON". This tells me the oil pressure "sensor" is just a switch that changes state at a preset threshold and activates the dash light. It does not report a pressure range. I activated it on my app just to see what it shows, but haven't driven since I activated it.

I did find the oil temp variable and it does report oil temperature.

13. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:28 PM
    57HotrodVW

57HotrodVW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    Slopemaster likes this.
  14. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:08 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited
    It turns GrantA was right about the OBDLink LX not compatible with iPhones. After corresponding with the manufacturer, the OBDLink LX does not work with iPhones even though you could read the various information on the website that would lead you to believe it does.

Here is the quote from the manufacturer:

"All OBDLink scan tools come with the OBDwiz software(for Windows) and OBDLink app(for Android and iOS). The hardware of OBDLink LX is not MFI-certified and will likely never work with iOS devices. "

15. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:21 PM
    matoolie

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
  16. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:29 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited
    That link has good information about the OBDLink MX+ but I learned that access to the enhanced diagnostic data is only available through 2020-year 4Runners.

Here is my question to the manufacturer and their reply:

"The enhanced diagnostic support for Toyota 4Runners only goes to 2020. Is this up to date or does it include year 2022 which is what I would need?"
    Unfortunately, this is up to date, as Toyota did not include 4Runner Data of this model year in their previous data packets. While we have reports of users using the 2020 add-on to read some OEM data for their 2022 Toyota vehicles, I can not confirm that this will work for you.

To clarify, the ability to read Toyota Data is not limited by access to SW-CAN or MS-CAN, nor is this information exclusive to MX+.
    MX+ functions as an OBD interpreter, and its limitations are based entirely upon what app you use MX+ with. Due to this, you would need to either:
    • Wait until the OBDLink app includes updates for 2022 Toyota vehicles
    • Try out the 2020 Toyota add-on, or
    • Use a third-party app that can access Toyota OEM data for 2022 4Runners.

I find it odd that the manufacturer has not received a Toyota data packet to cover 2022 4Runners but other third party app have.

I am leaning toward the OBDLink MX+ but want to first make sure I can get an app that covers 2022 year enhanced diagnostics and will work with the MX+ and my iPhone.

17. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited

I looked at it on the Amazon site. Did not see if it goes into "sleep mode" to avoid battery drain when engine is off. Do you have to remove it when engine is off or does it not drain the battery?

I'll have to look to see if your app covers through 2022, but since you are 2021 and it gets the enhanced diagnostic data, it sounds like it does.

18. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:46 PM
    matoolie

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    it does not drain the battery. The adapter is powered by the OBD port and it shuts down when engine is off. I loose connectivity with the adapter when I shut the engine off. Stays plugged in all the time.

The cost of the MX is so much higher than other adapters that work fine with the 4runner. Can’t see the cost being justified unless you own fords and gm’s with proprietary CAN networks.

anthonydotb likes this.
  19. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited
    I do own a GM that I could use it on too, but yes, it is much more expensive.

20. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:08 PM
    matoolie

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    One more note….I checked my OBD Fusion app due to the response you got above regarding the OBDLink app, and the enhanced diagnostics for Toyotas only goes up to model year 2021. So the lack of confirmed support of 2022 model years may be across all or most of the apps out there.

21. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited

Thanks and I am afraid you are right. I just sent a note to OBD Fusion asking if 2022 is covered. One other app I was looking at is DashCommand but there seems to be conflicting information if it will work with the OBDLine MX+. It appears to work with iPhones but may not support Bluetooth. On the OBDLink website it is listed as compatible but on the DashCommand site it doesn't show as compatible unless I am missing something.

Update with reply from OBDFusion on model year coverage:

We don't have 2022 Toyota enhanced diagnostics yet. However, it's likely the 2021 model of your vehicle has many of the same modules, so you could use the 2021 add-on. You would need to configure your vehicle as a 2021 MY in the vehicle editor if you decide to go that route.

When we add the 2022 package, it would be a separate purchase from the 2021 package. The only exception would be the all years package, which gets updates for any new model years that are added.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  22. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:39 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
  23. Aug 13, 2022 at 9:51 PM
    Gone4Wheeling

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Limited
    All said and done, I decided to buy the OBDLink MX+ for my 2022 4Runner and will use the included OBDLink app and have to input my vehicle as a 2020 4Runner and see what data I can see. Sooner or later the OBDLink app will be updated to include the 2022 4Runner which will be updated on my OBDLink app. If I cannot see enough data for my needs I will continue to look for a 3rd party app that covers 2022 4Runners but as of now, there appears to be none. With the OBDLink MX+/OBDLimk app you do not have to buy any vehicle specific enhanced data for the vehicle like many other apps plus this will work for me on a GM vehicle I own.

24. Aug 19, 2022 at 6:45 AM
    CameramanA73

CameramanA73 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    White TRD Pro 4R
    I use mine all the time! It is very useful!

25. Mar 13, 2023 at 7:41 AM
    semprenissart

semprenissart Mèfi

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro (MGM)
    Westcott Sliders. Gobi no rise
    Any of these work with apple car play?
    It’d be nice to see the data on the nav screen instead of the phone

26. Mar 13, 2023 at 8:34 AM
    4oreigner

4oreigner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Limited
  27. Mar 13, 2023 at 8:51 AM
    semprenissart

semprenissart Mèfi

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro (MGM)
    Westcott Sliders. Gobi no rise
    Maybe in a couple years, one of the phone app will update their software to make it compatible with car play. I don’t get why there’s so few apps compatible with it. It doesn’t seem like it would be very hard to do.

28. Jan 18, 2024 at 10:51 AM
    Nmscuba

Nmscuba New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2020 4 runner
    None
    I know this is an older post but I just want to confirm does the OBD fusion add-on pack for a 20/20 Toyota 4Runner show the transmission temperature? Thank you very much

29. Jan 18, 2024 at 11:01 AM
    Nmscuba

Nmscuba New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2020 4 runner
    None

I have the following three OBD Bluetooth plugins along with this 70-year-old plus Craftsman toolbox that was my father's and none of them will read my 20/20 4Runner transmission temps without paying for add-on packages

17056044092115763127028550401.jpg

30. Jan 18, 2024 at 11:02 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    A scangauge will display trans temp. Nothing will display oil pressure and temp through OBD because the pressure sender is basically a on/off switch for the light and there is no oil temp sensor.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    LunarTR4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top