1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not sure when tires were rotated...when to do it?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tama1968, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Jun 23, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    I bought a '19 4Runner just last week with 12K miles. Dealer told me they changed the oil the day before I bought it (as the oil is still very clean, I believe 'em) but did not mention tire rotation. This might be a dumb question but at this mileage, we should be on the trucks second rotation but given that I don't know if it was done or not, should I have them rotated? I don't want to go too long, but also don't want to 'undo" a rotation if recently done.

2. Jun 23, 2019 at 7:56 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Just call the dealer service department. They should have record of it.

3. Jun 23, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    My brother in-law is in tire sales.
    If I show up with my tires freshly rotated; he can tell! If it is your job & you are good. You can see it.
    Go to a big tire store and ask for a tire tech & get their opinion. A professional tire place can see it immediately.
    Good luck!
    P.S. they may have rotated due to never having been rotated before...

4. Jun 23, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I went in for my 5k service and they said they rotated the tires. I secretly marked them before I went in so I could verify. Turns out they didn't touch the front tires and flipped the rear tires from one side to the other.

Maybe it was a judgement call by a "pro tire tech" but I'm doubtful. Moral of the story... pay attention. Dealer might try to slide one by you.

Tama1968[OP] and 4Runner fun like this.
  5. Jun 23, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    No disrespect to you.
    Maybe that is how the tires were wearing & the best solution was to swap just the rears.
    The minimal time difference to do all 4 is mute. They must have seen something...
    Also, @ 5k miles; what wear is there? Unless you are 100% offroad or gravel.
    Just a thought.

6. Jun 23, 2019 at 10:32 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    No offense taken. Yeah I agree with you. In fact, my first thought was that maybe they simply made a judgement call and did what they suspected was best for the tires.

4Runner fun[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 23, 2019 at 10:44 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I just drive & mod it.
    I rely upon tire & off roading shop (trusted for years), to tell me to do/replace something!
    I wash it, change the oil & fluids. Beyond that I pay. I am almost 40 years old with a bad leg. I rather just enjoy it!
    I also grease my own the propel shaft! LMAO That is a first in 25 yrs of tinkering...
    Our truck is a boat! LMAO

8. Jun 24, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    I've been marking my tires for over a decade. I have seen cases where they had to do a funky rotation but I've also caught a shop not moving them at all and telling me to my face that the did rotate.

9. Jun 24, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Rotate every 5k. Never rely on a dealer, they are snakes through and through.

TN_FunRunner likes this.
  10. Jun 24, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP, 2007 SR5 4WD
    Truth

11. Jun 24, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    I always buy discount tires warranty. They will sell even if tires are not bought their. They rotate and force balance every 5k, you can watch them do it. Get a flat they fix it free or replace (prorated on mileage). Last ride each tire/ wheel was 100lbs each so the rotation alone was worth the cash

12. Jun 24, 2019 at 4:55 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    I too have had amazing service and honesty with my local discount tire.

4Runner fun likes this.
  13. Jun 24, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I cannot speak for the company as a whole.
    I imagine they are franchises.
    My best friend used them exclusively (across the street from his house). Mainly Hyundai's & Kia's (no work vehicles as he has has a broken back). Anyway, this is only a part of his stories...
    One of thee local discount tire stores has f'ed his wheels, not gotten tires in or something else. I cannot remember all the bad encounters he has had.
    He is done. They were great to me in the late '90's & early '00's. Now they seem to be like a fast food restaurant. We mess up; we just pay up. No care or responsibility. That is a bad way to run a company!
    Sorry for the rant.
    I hate them!

14. Jun 24, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    I agree must be a franchise. For my area they are the best! Had a blowout on a brand new 14 ford and paid 250 for a new tire. NTB trashed the rim Satin black oem. fast forward they bought me a new rim but just handed it to me, said there machine could not mount it, went to Firestone, to other local places even one that did exotic cars but all declined said black rims in that size will scratch. that place told me use discount. Went there and bam, customer for life. Yep I buy to many cars/ trucks but since 14 have bought about 8 vehicles and each had oversized tires from them with zero mounting problems, no scratches

4Runner fun[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 24, 2019 at 6:01 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I am glad you found someone to service you properly.
    If my brother in law wasn't @ a local (and phenomenal) tire shop I would still be looking for a discount tire closer to me!
    Thanks for your input & help to all.

ForRun likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top