1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No Crank No Start After Transmission Swap

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Anthonytoa, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Mar 14, 2023 at 8:24 PM
    Anthonytoa

Anthonytoa [OP] New Member

Member:
    4 Runner sr5 6v 3.0
    So, I swapped out a used automatic transmission on my 1993 Toyota 4 runner, automatic, 4x4, SR5, 6v, 3.0, with the hopes of keeping it from getting towed. It is in my buddy’s shop still. We kind of messed up by removing the wrong bolts on the starter and put it back together after it came apart.

It seemed to be fine, but after the tranny swap the starter wouldn’t engage.

1. We replaced the starter and it still will not engage.

2. I took off the shifter link to see if it was not in park due to improper
    install, but no matter where I put the shifter it still will not engage
    the starter.

3. I have radio, window and lock action, the dash lights up bright and the
    battery tests full.

4. On the starter wires I have continuity between the two connecting
    wires.

5. All the wires seem to be connected, functional, and the battery is well
    connected.

6. I have not tested the alternator, but everything worked fine before the
    tranny swap.

I don’t know much about transmissions, that is why I took this leap of faith. So does this troubleshooting process lead me to a sensor that is not working in the transmission? Is it the shift position sensor? What other sensors would cause this problem? Did I miss anything but the alternator in my diagnosis leading of to the transmission? Everything worked fine before, and the starter was replaced, so if the transmission swap changed that then must it be the transmission? Please help.

2. Mar 15, 2023 at 1:48 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    You should get the wiring diagram for your car. Study it and see what participates in the starting process.

You can have a bad ignition switch, bad starter relay, shift position switch or bad wiring.

If your starter relay is clicking, then you have power to that and can ignore the ignition switch and shift position switch. Focus on the wiring to the starter.

If it isn't clicking, then you need to focus on the relay and the wiring and circuit for the ignition switch and shift position switch.

I doubt the starter was ever bad. The alternator should have nothing to do with a no start either.

Products Discussed in

To Top