1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie needing some advice - Pics included

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Blue22, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Oct 3, 2023 at 8:22 AM
    Blue22

Blue22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Limited
    Hey everyone!

I recently traded in my old vehicle for a used 2015 4Runner Limited, & I’m starting to panic a bit ha. I could really use some opinions on a few pics.

Quick background on the vehicle:

2015 4Runner Limited
    Mileage @ 84,000
    It was first owned for 3 years in Indiana, where a total of ~ 30,000 were put on it. It then mades its way to central Arkansas (current location).
    I purchased the vehicle for ~ $25K.

Here is my concern. I wanted out of my European made car, in hopes to get into something that was more reliable. After some reading, I settled on the 4Runner.

So what’s my worry? Rust!
    I’m embarrassed to say I did not realize I needed to check the frame for rust. I obviously should have done my homework better, but alas the deal has been made.

I have attached a few photos & was hoping you knowledgeable & wonderful people could give me an “assessment” on if I need to be worried or not. I truly am a newbie & don’t have the slightest clue how to assess rust damage. I greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer!

IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg

2. Oct 3, 2023 at 10:56 AM
    DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2024 T4R ORP w/KDSS Underground
    Looks like surface rust at this point, got to get after it though. A good undercoat is in order. Research local shops with good reviews for undercoating jobs, or if you’re handy, you could buy some wool wax or whatever you desire and do it yourself. A car lift is highly recommended. Good luck and Welcome to the forum!

3. Oct 3, 2023 at 12:22 PM
    Blue22

Blue22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Limited
    Thank you so much for taking the time to offer some advice. I came across a company nearby that does NH-Oil undercoating. I obviously don’t know much about it, but will definitely be reaching out to them. Thank you again!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Oct 3, 2023 at 1:43 PM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Welcome & congrats on your 4Runner,

You’re gonna love it!!!

Thatbassguy and Blue22[OP] like this.
  5. Oct 3, 2023 at 3:07 PM
    JET4

JET4 Old Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

Blue22[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Oct 3, 2023 at 3:32 PM
    LKN4Runner

LKN4Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Lake Norman, NC
    2016 Magnetic Grey Metallic XP 4X4 with 20" Gunner rims and 275/55 R20 Nitto Grappler G2 Tires.
    Hello and welcome to the forum Blue22. Congrats on your 2015 Limited 4Runner. I agree with Gary in that the rust appears to be on the surface. You may want to consider running it through a car wash to clean the underbody (unless you have an attachment for your pressure washer) and then once everything is dry, apply Fluid Film Rust and Corrosion protection Spray (or a similar product) that will stop the rust and prevent any further rust. Below is a link to the Fluid Film product on Amazon. My 4Runner does not have any rust but I used this process on my daughter's Subaru Forester and it worked well.

Just a suggestion.

Take Care.

Robert

Link to Fluid Film:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-1...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Blue22[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  7. Oct 3, 2023 at 11:04 PM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport V6 4WD @ 258K miles
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    Welcome. I see nothing to worry about in those pics. I have a 2007 at 245K, fortunately never in a salted roads state. Mine was similar to yours when I bought it in 2014 with 96K mikes. I took a wire brush and a can of Rustoleum Rust Reformer paint, brushed off the loose rust, and painted over the spots. The paint actually chemically transforms the rust so it’s not like some paints or undercoating products that can worsen rust underneath. I look every time I work on my truck and hit any rust I see the same way. It’s still clean.

These frames rust from the inside out and I had always wondered how to get a look in there, assuming an endoscopic camera would be ridiculously expensive. Nope, I just bought one for ~$25 on Amazon and it works surprisingly well. This is a test shot, I will put an LED light through one of the holes farther down to get a deeper field of view next time.
    Image_2023-09-18 22_34_34_760.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    Blue22[OP] and Toy4X4 like this.
  8. Oct 4, 2023 at 2:08 AM
    Steely123

Steely123 What's the new trend? I'll do it!

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner SR5 premium
    Welcome

Blue22[OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 4, 2023 at 2:11 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin! That rust isn't that bad... yet. Several rust inhibitors on the market, or see if your local mechanics want to tackle it, good luck.

Blue22[OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 4, 2023 at 6:35 AM
    Blue22

Blue22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Limited
    Robert,

Thank you for the suggestions! Do you think I should just go with the Fluid film and Corrosion protection spray, or spring for the NH-Oil undercoating given my inexperience? Just curious on your opinion. Thanks again for your time & advice!

11. Oct 4, 2023 at 6:39 AM
    Blue22

Blue22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Limited
    Russell,

Thanks for helping put my mind at ease! Once I got it home and started finding the rust, I truly began to panic thinking I had made a major mistake. I'm glad to hear from you and others the rust appears to be "ok" at this point. Also, great idea on the endoscopic camera! I was just thinking last night about how to possibly check for rust INSIDE the frame. That's a great idea!

12. Oct 4, 2023 at 6:42 AM
    Blue22

Blue22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Limited
    Thanks Jeff!
    Just curious, and I apologize if this is a silly question. Do most guys get undercoating done up North?

13. Oct 4, 2023 at 11:31 AM
    Bluesky 07

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    @Blue22 - You’re very welcome. Forum tip, you can tag people using the @ along with their exact username as I did above. That will trigger a notification to them.

I hope you won’t have to buy another vehicle for many years but if you do, consider making the deal contingent on having a mechanic conduct an inspection. I was in the same boat as you when I bought my truck used at 96K miles in 2014 - I had no idea that 4Runners, especially 4th Gens, are rotting right out from under their owners. I didn’t check but the mechanic did and luckily, it was clean.

The cost is a small investment when weighed against the potential cost of a problem. Mine had a stuck 4WD actuator, a $2200 repair at the dealer. Long story short, the dealer replaced it and we split the $1300 actual dealer cost. I was very happy b/c they had given me a terrific sales price and they handled the situation with integrity.

Blue22[OP] likes this.
  14. Oct 5, 2023 at 1:36 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    About the undercoating.. We have bought new vehicles and always have some sort of rust inhibitor/undercoating done on them. As for the rest of the people, according to my son-in-law, a salesman at a dealership, it's about a 50/50 split when it comes to undercoating. I have bought used vehicles that were undercoated from new, and the old Trailblazer I drive was not, big difference.

Blue22[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Oct 5, 2023 at 2:45 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    Welcome and congrats on the 4R.

Not to panic, just get it cleaned and brushed off well, and then a nice undercoating done by professionals and with good products should take care of it.

Blue22[OP] likes this.
  16. Oct 5, 2023 at 6:31 AM
    UofLCardfan77

UofLCardfan77 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Gray
    Black Out Overlays, Windows tinted (front doors),
    Welcome from the center of the bourbon universe.

Makes me think I'll go ahead and get my 2019 undercoated.

Blue22[OP] likes this.
  17. Oct 5, 2023 at 6:43 AM
    Blue22

Blue22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Limited
    @Bluesky 07 Thanks for the forum tip!

Also, great advice on having a mechanic conduct an inspection prior to purchase. I purchased a home within the last year, and of course made an offer contingent on the home inspection. Why in the world this never crossed my mind to do before purchasing a vehicle is beyond me. That is definitely a major lesson learned, and one I won't forget going forward.

Bluesky 07 likes this.
  18. Oct 5, 2023 at 6:50 AM
    Blue22

Blue22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Limited
    @ChessGuy
    Any advice on the best way to go about cleaning the frame. I have attacked the rust spots with a wire brush so far. But was curious if I needed to do anything else like trying to power wash it? Also, I noticed parts of the frame where there are long stretches of what appears to be some type of "coating" covering the frame. I am not sure if this is just gunk/road buildup over the years, or maybe an old rubberized coating? Although I would not even know what a rubberized coating would look like ha. I currently don't have a way to jack up my vehicle, so I have just been crawling underneath with a wire brush doing the best I can.

19. Oct 5, 2023 at 2:29 PM
    Bluesky 07

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    1. I haven't tried the Salt Shift Chassis Flusher personally but it's intriguing. Trying to get feedback from anyone who's used it before buying, no luck yet. Right now I use my pressure washer with a pivoting nozzle, which is very helpful. I've found that the tip will fit through some of the frame and skid plate holes. Took several minutes to get to clear water when I first flushed out my gas tank skid. LOL

2. Can you post pics of this? I have some thoughts but would prefer to see it first. Have you poked these areas with a screwdriver or anything?

20. Oct 5, 2023 at 7:29 PM
    djwantke

djwantke New Member

Member:
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bought brand new 2016 After May 2021: -Approx 3" lift/level: Bilstein 5100's, OME 2884 590lb 3" front lift springs, SPC UCA's, ICON 158506 2" lift rear coils, diff drop -Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT285/70R17 Load E -Mickey Thompson Sidebiter ll 17x9, 0 offset, 5 backspace -Pro Comp black spline lugs ^installed by 4WheelParts^ -New brakes and rotors by brake shop -4-piece ARB skid kit -Smittybilt 2" nerf steps -MBRP black exhaust tip, chopped OEM -Drivers side OEM FJ oh shit handle -All blacked out emblems -Blacked out roof rails -4x WeatherTech window rain guards -OEM custom rear mud flap deletes -KICK BACK MUD FLAPS 12" WIDE - BLACK TOP AND BLACK WEIGHT -FRAM EXTRA GUARD CA10835 engine air filter -1797 LED tricolor fog bulbs Yellow 3000K White 6000K Blue 15000K 28W 4000LM -Armour paint lower rear bumper -Front bumper high stage high clearance cut -Fenders cut straight across, pink reservoir sprayed black -4Runner Lifestyle sequential fog fangs -4Runner Lifestyle smoked taillight decals -Pedal Commander -Rear passenger cargo mounted 120v truck tire pump -4x Spidertrax 1.25" black aluminum wheel spacers -Yota Twins Paracord Hatch Strap sand camo -Teton Workshop hard anodized matte black aluminum shift knob -Ditch flood lights 4 LED 20w 1400lm w/ OEM hood mounts on OEM style dash switch -Backup flood lights under bumper 6 LED 18w 1500lm on OEM style dash switch -Body Mount Chop; cut, weld, paint -Fender mount chop, re-weld, paint -Fender Liner cut behind wheel (I cut liner in front of wheel clean off at top of viper cut) -Wheel well firewall hammering, painting ^done by Arc One Industries^ -valance cap trim -Agency6 Black Shackle Block 2" US Certified 6061 T6 CNC machined aluminum -DRT fab universal hitch skid -ACDelco inner tie rods, outer tie rods, bellows -Full Dr. KDSS switch kit -March 31 Behind grille 13-1/4" 32 LED light bar + wide-angle, eagle-eye lens 6000lm on OEM style dash switch -RAA Powder coated steel roof rack cargo basket, 1" side rails, 64" x 39" x 6", 250lb limit -roof gas can, water can, shovel -PEAKTOW PTT0063 Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 51-1/2 x 17-1/2 x 4 inches 500 lbs. Capacity (trips only) -July/2023: purchased first needed SPC balljoint replacement kit - newly released, upgraded non-zerk sealed joints 25002 -July 15/2023: The Original Universal EZ Flares, 1". All four corners -Dec. 2023: removed bumper cover and crash bar, drilled frame, installed Apex Overland KDSS Recovery Points -Jan. 2024: SPC balljoint replacement kit - upgraded non-zerk sealed joint design 25002 -Feb. 3/ 2024: 4x KC Wire Hiders, for roof rack lighting Feb. 13/2024: New ditch lights, on new Rago Fabrication Extension brackets. 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Replacing 3inch EVERGEAR clear lens ditch light pods w/ yellow lamix-x In progress: 4th, 5th, and 6th set of off road lights Electrical components and wiring purchased, not started -roof rack scene lighting - EVERGEAR ea. 1,350 lumens, 30w, 3-¾" round floods. Custom, side mounted w/ galvanized flat bar And -roof rack upper ditch lights - 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to front corners And -roof rack reverse amber pods / secondary hazard lights. 20W 2000Lm 2-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to rear side And -roof rack F1 smoked chase light w/ lighting effects. Custom bolted to rear side -POR15 rust proofing line-up, 3-step process PAUSED until 70⁰ weather Bought, in the garage queue: -BlueFire 6-Circuit Fuse Block with LED Indicator & Protection Cover -Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker w/ reset lever -Rust prevention •New can POR15, 2x Black Fluid Film, long spray nozzle attachments, 2x PB Surface Shield, 1x Chainwax •partially used POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep Wanted - PerryParts or Wheelers bump stops, self fabricated limb risers (seasonal, removable), 1" body lift, powder coated center winch bumper w/ large bar (got no tss), rear steel bumper w/ tire carrier for an LT285 Kumho on steely, sliders, bolt on cat shields
    Welcome here and great purchase!
    To help out your mind at ease as some have said, that rust isn't bad at all, I have much more on my 2016 Trail Edition. However I do live near the ocean and mountains,and British Columbia uses a liberal amount of road salt. Don't kick yourself too much, I bought brand new and didn't start rust prevention until last year, oops!
    Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top