1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to forum. Introduction and general inquiries....

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by old4runnerguy, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Jan 26, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    old4runnerguy

old4runnerguy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner
    Thanks to a poster on another website I've followed for years (which doesn't get much 2nd gen Q&As) I joined this forum. Hope not to bug y'all TOO much!

I've owned my 1992 4Runner since 1998 (bought it from my brother-in-law). Not being the least bit mechanically inclined I've had virtually everything service-related done at a local Toyota dealership ... everything from oil changes and brakes to air conditioning (more than once), timing belts and clutch replacement to head and valve gaskets. Yes, I've spent a LOT of $$ on it!

Lately, especially in the past year, I am - and the dealership is - finding it increasingly difficult to acquire replacement parts ... everything from air filters and brake pads to engine hoses.

I suppose my bottom-line question, which I suppose is asked by all used car owners, is: how does one know when it's time to stop spending money on an old vehicle and kick her to the curb?

After years of online searches I've concluded the pick-a-part value of my 4Runner must be in the millions! :eek:

2. Jan 26, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum, pics. would be appreciated.

3. Jan 26, 2021 at 10:38 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome from Arizona!

4. Jan 26, 2021 at 10:46 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Welcome, I have had no issue finding hoses and filters but have had to get them via Ebay. Yes it will get to the point when you start questioning whether it is cheaper to get rid of or keep. For me it will be major repairs. Your reasons may differ especially since you don't wrench. That said I would never take it to the dealer to fix. Way too expensive. They wanted $400 to do a brake job when I did it for $60. A shop near me that I trust would have done it for $150. I would never let minor repairs justify selling it but major yes. Mine has less than 150k miles so as long as nothing major breaks, I will keep it. I am hoping it lasts for another 5 years at least. Personally if I could afford it, I would never have a vehicle older than 15 years old.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jan 26, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

6. Jan 26, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    When your monthly repair costs approach what you would pay for a new(er) car payment, then it's time to replace.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2021 at 2:57 AM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

8. Jan 27, 2021 at 4:20 AM
    freak4life

freak4life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Cañon City Co
    Vehicle:
    2018 off-road
    Fuel Wheels, KO2 33’s RCI skids (alum. full length) Jomax ABS protection SSO low profile w/ Warn Zeon 10s Westcott: sliders, roof rack, ladder, Hitch mount rear tire carrier Nitro 4:88 regear LRA 24gal aux tank Icon he rear springs Treaty Oak spacers Viper security Upgraded stereo, speakers, 400 amp unit Goose gear 100% rear seat delete Dometic DZ95 RedArc man.30 2 Battleborn 100ah lithium Genesis Duel battery under hood ARB duel air under hood Baja 30’ amber and fog Rigid 40” light bar on roof, ditch lights Switch-pro
    Welcome from Phoenix, in my own case I do not like to have car payments. That being said when you find a zero percent loan at the very least you are not paying interest on a depreciating investment, never a smart thing to do if it can be avoided.
    Start putting away in a savings account what would be an estimated car payment monthly, faithfully and you may be able to save enough to pay cash for a new vehicle, if your old vehicle lasts long enough. If not it may give you a nice down payment and allow you to lower your future payments. Patience is the key, best of luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top