1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tire recommendations …..

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by DoctaPayne, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Jan 29, 2024 at 9:13 PM
    DoctaPayne

DoctaPayne [OP] If you ain’t first, you’re last!

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off Road Premium - Classic Silver
    IMG_4844.jpg

Website link: https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-tires/all-tires/Cooper-Discoverer-Road-Trail-AT

Howdy! Looking at this tire to replace the stock tires on our 2024 TRD ORP.

Vehicle Usage: Wife’s Daily Driver.
    Weekdays Mainly Highway - Arizona. Dry, Rain, Snow, Minimal Ice.
    Weekends - trails around Sedona, Prescott, Camp Verde and local forest areas

Prefer a tire that is quiet on the highway and aggressive enough for our usage.

1) Looking for real world feedback of experience with this brand and model.
    2) Any recommendation of size other than what it came with? [265/70-17]
    3) Any other recommendation beside this tire?
    4) I will be selling the tires that came with the 4Runner. Approx 600 miles on them. Any thought on a selling/asking price?

Thank you.

Toy4X4 and LCJ77 like this.
  2. Jan 29, 2024 at 9:34 PM
    BGH2023

BGH2023 Luvs his 4Runner

Member:
    Front Range of Komarado
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    DoctaPayne[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2024 at 9:58 PM
    WilVis

WilVis New Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD ORP Solar Octane
    Not an exact comparison, but I have Cooper Discoverer ATP II OWL tires on my RAM 1500, which have been great. The ATP II might be slightly more aggressive for off-road than the ATs you’re considering, but seem to be very similar. First Coopers I’ve run as generally I always buy Falken Wildpeaks, but the price at Discount Tire was appealing. For a mostly on road tire with some trail use, the Coopers seem to be a good choice. They do great in the snow.

My local Discount Tire will usually give me $40-$50 credit each for an almost new stock tire. I’m not sure how easy they’d be to sell otherwise.

I have learned the hard way avoid choosing a tire in a heavier load rating than spec on a light SUV as the ride quality suffers. My brother also had cupping issues on his 4Runner with an E rated tire. Not sure if that was related to the load rating.

4. Jan 31, 2024 at 6:25 AM
    jason5641

jason5641 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Quakertown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP w/KDSS
    Watching...these are currently my choice to replace the craptastic Grandtreks in a bit. Went back and forth on many brands/models

5. Jan 31, 2024 at 6:55 AM
    GrimJeeper91

GrimJeeper91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road
    Yokohama AT's, Bilstein 5100's, Talon's Garage full skids.
    This is what I just put on mine and I'm very happy with them. I like that they were available in a load range C and have a 3 ply sidewall while not being too heavy. I also liked that I was able to go from a 31.6 to 31.9" tire even though I stayed with the stock size. America's Tire listed them at $280 ea. but I found a site online that was selling the for $235 and America's Tire matched it.

Yokohama X-AT.jpg

Pentangler and DoctaPayne[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 31, 2024 at 6:59 AM
    GrimJeeper91

GrimJeeper91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road
    Here's a close up mounted...

20240106_124311.jpg

7. Jan 31, 2024 at 7:26 AM
    2020 4Runner

2020 4Runner New Member

Member:
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5, 2020 SR5 Tundra DC
    Toyo Open Country AT3's

8. Jan 31, 2024 at 7:29 AM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    After some overnight research, I am considering these too. Are you running them? Can you speak to performance (on/off road), road noise, and effect on MPG’s? Thank you.

VTECMoonWalker likes this.
  9. Jan 31, 2024 at 8:03 AM
    GrimJeeper91

GrimJeeper91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road
    I had the Toyo Open Country AT2's on my Subaru Outback for about three years before I sold it to get the 4R. Overall I thought they were a pretty good tire but they were very loud by the time I sold the car (and I'm diligent with tire rotations). That was the main reason I was looking for something else to try on the 4R. So far the Yokohama Tires are pretty quiet and even started out quieter than the Toyo's when they were new. I can't speak about the AT3's but I'd expect that they probably aren't all that much different than the AT's.

icebear and DoctaPayne[OP] like this.
  10. Jan 31, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the picture. They look good!

Can you please answer a few questions.....
    -- How long have you been running them?
    -- Performance (On/Off Road)?
    -- Road Noise?
    -- Effect on MPG?
    Thank you.

11. Jan 31, 2024 at 8:38 AM
    COL4Runner

COL4Runner New Member

Member:
  12. Jan 31, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    Alan_G_TRD

Alan_G_TRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Off-Road
    I put the Pirelli All-Terrain Plus tires on my 2022 4-Runner Off-Road about a week after I bought it 2 years ago. So now, after 44,000 Kilometers (about 27,300 mi) I can say I'm very satisfied with them. I initially picked these because they were winter rated, saving me to have to change tires seasonally, or buy an extra set of rims with winters. I rotate them every oil change, and they are wearing evenly and holding up well. They run as quiet and smooth as the day they were put on. In snow, and hard-packed surfaces they are great, same with rain, no hydroplaning even in torrential conditions . I don't do any mudding so I can't comment on that. I'd definitely recommend them.
    Pirelli.jpg

13. Jan 31, 2024 at 9:27 AM
    GrimJeeper91

GrimJeeper91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road
    I've only been running these just over three weeks. I picked up my '24 TRD OR on Thursday, Jan 4th and had the Yokohama's installed on Jan. 5th.

On the road they have been great in wet and dry conditions. I haven't had them off road yet.

They are very quiet so far. Are they loader than the stock, sure, but not much and they are significantly quieter than the Toyo's ever were.

I can't comment on mileage, I only had 32 miles on the stock tires when they were changed out. I've also heard that mileage improved as the vehicle gets broken in. In Los Angeles (lots of traffic, mix of freeway and streets) I'm getting 17 mpg. I did have one short 60 mile road trip that logged 22 mpg (freeway only). I gassed up on both ends and verified the mpg via hand calc's and was only 0.2 off from what the computer indicated. I can give a better review after my first off-road trip at the end of March when I run the Mojave Road. A week later I'm off to Utah for more back country exploring so they will be spending a lot of time in the dirt in the near future.

14. Jan 31, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    2020 4Runner

2020 4Runner New Member

Member:
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5, 2020 SR5 Tundra DC
    I have them on our 2020. They are quite and no noticeable affect on mpgs.

15. Jan 31, 2024 at 9:35 AM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it very much.

16. Jan 31, 2024 at 9:38 AM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the reply and feedback. I appreciate it very much. Sounds like we both picked up our 4R's about the same time. Congratulations! Sounds like you have a great couple of outings planned. Enjoy!

PS: In my younger days I raced motocross competitively and Yokohama was the tires I ran. I really liked them for that application.

17. Jan 31, 2024 at 9:39 AM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thank you fo the reply and details. I appreciate it very much!

Alan_G_TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 31, 2024 at 10:32 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    For track use, Pirelli are at least decade behind other similarly-priced tires. They position themselves as a premium brand but do not deliver best-in-class performance. I know nothing about their all-terrain tires, but I can safely assume you can do better for the price.

lyodbraun likes this.
  19. Jan 31, 2024 at 11:09 AM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP, 2007 SR5 4WD
    put a set of these on the 4th gen this past summer and they have been good so far.

20. Jan 31, 2024 at 11:13 AM
    laxman09

laxman09 Gassy Member

Member:
    Mahoning Valley, OHIO
    Im looking to get a set of Falken Rubitrek come the fall. The brand new Dunlops that came on my CPO have been fine so far, so I feel guilty spending $$ on something that I really dont need to yet.

jason5641 and DoctaPayne[OP] like this.
  21. Jan 31, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Removed DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    I've been running 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Easy to balance, fairly quiet for such an aggressive tire. Wonderful tire for the trail. Absolutely fantastic in the mud.
    Cons: Fairly heavy tire. Will wear fast without a good alignment.

When I move up to a 34" (285/75/17) I will likely try out the Toyo AT3. It is quite a bit lighter and should preserve some fuel mileage. At least in theory.

Anyone have experience with Toyo AT3's?

22. Feb 2, 2024 at 12:58 PM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Well, here is what I decided to go with. The Cooper Tire AT3-LT in "C" Load Range 265\70-R17. These are a 6-Ply tire and weigh 47 lbs. 60k Mile Treadwear Warranty and 45 Day Satisfaction Guarantee from the manufacturer.

For anyone interested here is a link to the manufacturer's webpage:
    https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-tires/all-tires/discoverer-at3-lt

And a link to a pdf of the specs from the manufacturer:
    https://coopertire.com/CooperTire/media/PDF/AT3-LT-Tire-Specification.pdf

FYI - The stock tire that came with it was a Dueler HT 684ii 4-Ply tire that weighed 35.75 lbs

A couple of things I learned:
    1 - Research is good. Always consider the source and go with what makes logical sense.
    2 - "Cupping" is generally caused by lack of maintenance ie. tire rotations, bad shock(s), bad alignment and overloading tires.
    3 - "C" Load will allow your stock TPMS to function. "E" Load range will either not work or need adjustment for up to 80 PSI (Can't remember exactly which, sorry)
    4 - Shop around. I was able to save $100 off the OTD price and get 50% off of the alignment. (Not that it needs it, it only has 700 miles on it. But we want to have it checked and adjusted if needed).
    5 - Discount-Tire is not always the best place to go or the least expensive. I decided on a local tire shop in our town that also does mechanic work and alignments.
    6 - Ask around for people's real-world experience and consider the "what don't I know" side of things.
    7 - This forum is a great help.

I appreciate everyone who provided feedback on my original post. It has been interesting to learn about the different options available on the market. I plan to post a follow-up on these tires once I get some miles on them.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    Ironguy, HuskyMike, Toy4X4 and 2 others like this.
  23. Feb 3, 2024 at 4:06 AM
    Accelerator

Accelerator New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Satellite Beach, Fla
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Super White 4Runner #3
    Toyo AT3 owner here. I have about 31k miles on stock size SL load with a 2.5/2 lift. My only complaint about these tires is that road noise has slightly increased around the 30k mark. I rotate every 5k and the wear has been very good, they barely show any signs of wear. Outside of a slight increase in road noise, here are some high points;

- Extremely good in wet weather driving at any speed, including 80+ mph. I live on the east coast of FLA and do a shit ton of wet weather driving, and that includes regular torrential downpours. 5 stars in the wet.
    - Excellent traction on gravel and dirt roads.
    - Very good responsiveness on pavement. Far better than stock Duellers.
    - Lightweight so minimal hit to mpg’s even with lift. Average 18 - 18.5 mpg’s combined.
    - Easy to balance, no shimmy or vibration issues.
    - Above average in normal mud conditions. Never ran them through anything deeper than an inch or two. Florida is mostly sand and rock, not much soil where I live.
    - Fairly aggressive looks for such a well behaved daily driving tire which leads me to my last point….
    - Very good daily driver. I drive 80 miles combined to and from work. 60 of those miles are on I95 through central Fl at 75 - 85 mph depending on traffic. The 30+k miles that I put on these tires have been done in the last 15 months. I95 can be pretty bad in places and I’ve never had any issues. No wandering or floating, predictable when making evasive maneuvers, and track straight around turns and bends even at high speeds.

Would I recommend these tires, absolutely, especially if you do moderate to heavy wet weather driving. They’re almost as good in the wet as Michelin Defender’s of which I’ve had 3 sets over the years. That’s saying something. Road noise when new was a bit above the stock Duellers but only slightly. The recent increase in that regard is a little surprising but not a problem. I haven’t noticed any degradation in performance.

Any way, those are my thoughts on the Toyo AT3’s. I hope this info was helpful.

24. Feb 3, 2024 at 4:11 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    The stock TPMS will function with load range "E" tires. We have stock TPMS in aftermarket wheels(KMC) with the E load range.. no probs.

25. Feb 3, 2024 at 5:59 AM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the reply….did you need to make any adjustment in the settings to get them to work properly at the higher psi?

26. Feb 3, 2024 at 6:08 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    We run 36-38 PSI no adjustments, when we run trails/offroad we air down and adjust via settings function on dash, and adjust again when airing back up, that's it.

27. Feb 3, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    DoctaPayne

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. I didn’t know you could run a load range ‘E’ tire that low. I guess I was thinking of my F250 SD 4x4 that has Load Range ‘E’ tires. When empty I run those at 65psi. I was told this would be too high for the TPMS to work properly. But with a lighter vehicle it makes sense that you could run at a psi within range and be ok. Just hadn’t considered it. Does running that low have a negative effect on MPG?

28. Feb 4, 2024 at 3:36 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Not really. On driving with say 100 miles or more, 19 - 19.4, that's at about 72MPH. The mileage drops quickly when going faster, also don't use the Toyota mileage computer, false readings, do a hand calculation full gas tank to full gas tank. Mileage is affected by other things also, like how much idle time you have, city versus open country driving like freeways, do you stop quickly? Jackrabbit starts, bucking the wind, etc. Our average mileage on a day to day basis is like 16, back and forth to work, grocery store etc.The factory psi is what? 30 something. Our 10 ply Coopers are heavier than stock tires (a mileage bust) but they do not squat any more than stock, they don't get hot, PSI goes up to maybe 40 on a hot summer day. At the end of the day we don't get real concerned about mileage, we do check it, but it is force of habit. Reliability of the 4Runner.... yea that's the ticket.

29. Feb 4, 2024 at 7:08 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    I had cooper discover at3 4s (285 70 17 sl rated) for 50k+ miles. They were a great all around tire. The only issue I had was finding a shop that could balance them correctly. But after that they were flawless.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  30. Feb 4, 2024 at 11:14 AM
    GrimJeeper91

GrimJeeper91 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Off-Road
    I had them on my Subaru Outback. They were really loud (~35k miles) when I sold it and upgraded to the 4R. That was the primary reason I tried a different tire on the 4R.

When I was at the tire store they had a set of Toyo AT's in 37's size and I checked them out. I was really surprised at how thin the sidewall was for the tire size. I didn't think to look at the load rating.

Toy4X4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top