1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New owner 2023 Off Road Premium - Follow up

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by colbydog, May 20, 2023.

1. May 20, 2023 at 8:33 AM
    colbydog

colbydog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Gray ORP
    Sorry for the length... setting up the usual sales BS. Read the bottom bit, that's all that matters.

Used the "Toyota Smart Path" online to find a registered Smart Path dealer to purchase a 2023 Off Road Premium. Truck has moonroof, and a few other port added accessories. $47929 before tax, tag, "Doc" fees and "security coding fees". My initial plan was a low mileage used 2022 from CarMax - but there was a HUGE markup. Anyway I agree to this online pricing and the estimate for my trade. "Jasmine" was my internet sales adviser. Soon as I click submit on website: I get a text from Jasmine "can you come in today to discuss options?" What options, huh? All I need is actual trade value. "No, not today." But I schedule an appointment for next day.

I show up promptly and it's like a new, clue-less walk in customer. Start all over again....So SmartPath - thumbs down, just a lead generator.

After going through the usual nonsensical questions "what kind of SUV are you looking for, what options?" I get them back on track with the VIN I wanted online. Salesman looks it up. Jasmine had said "oh yes it is available". Available=on boat somewhere between continents.

Anyway, I keep going. They evaluate trade, leave me waiting. Salesman comes back "good news!" (how many times have we heard that). Yeah, good news! we low balled your trade!!!! Well ok, but the pricing for the new truck was lower. By about a grand. I verify the VIN and options. So, I'm like OK. Net price w/trade I am still better off. I have financing on my own, though through Navy Federal. He does the old, "gonna need a NONREFUNDABLE deposit to hold". Well I am serious, I have financing, and trade equity, so no problem there. Ok, give credit card. He does up purchase agreement. I sign, initial now I am bound to it, including the non-refundable deposit

This is an actual purchase agreement, the triplicate form, with all signatures. I know they usually redo it again, in case numbers change a little, payoff for trade (if daily interest accrues). But for the most part, this is the deal.

So all signed, salesman says truck is expected by 26th of May, and they will call me with status (you know they won't).

Get home. Salesman has texted me. "Sorry Purchase agreement is for WRONG vehicle"
    I ask for clarification, as I check the VIN, VIN matches. VIN is same on all other paperwork, emails etc. "What do you mean "WRONG" vehicle?. He clarifies WRONG MSRP.... In other words they f'd up.

Now, the price was not so far off to be unbelievable - MSRP of $48215 vs $46380, but again they low balled my trade by about a grand (2020 F150 XLT SuperCrew with many options). So all seemed good.

I think they have to honor this. Of course, I bet my non-refundable deposit all of sudden becomes refundable!

Should I make them honor this price? Do they have to? Walk away? Accept the new price?

this is not a dealer I would have normally went with, but I chose the Smart Path route....

Oh, and of course, looking forward to becoming a new owner Magnetic Gray 2023 TRD Off Road Premium., Moonroof, running board, all weather mats wheel locks.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  2. May 20, 2023 at 10:01 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    What do you have to lose by pushing back some? You could counter with give me x more for my trade in and then we can switch the deal.

3. May 20, 2023 at 10:02 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome, I hope.
    Let us know how it all goes. Good luck!

4. May 20, 2023 at 10:26 AM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    I agree with Spare Parts. Make them add the difference to your trade. The so called mixup could be a ploy to make you pay more. I have bought a number of cars in my life. I always walk away until I get the deal I want. Remember, cars are not flying off the lots and they need to move inventory. At the end of the month they have to hit their quota to get their bonuses.

When I bought my 2020 4R, I got it for $700 over invoice. They needed to move cars, and covid had them hurting.

5. May 20, 2023 at 11:21 AM
    colbydog

colbydog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Gray ORP
    Thanks all!

My point is, the purchase agreement is legally binding for who? Me only? If I went to them, "sorry, made a mistake, my bank account is 0, can I have my deposit back" Never been in that situation, but doubt they would - at least not easily.

They can change the numbers any way they want, as long as my net out of pocket doesn't change. The only options are:

1. They honor the agreement as first written
    2. They adjust my trade value up to compensate for increase in 4Runner price
    3. They only will agree to "corrected" purchase agreement and I walk away. I don't want to be out $500 though,

They haven't asked "Come in and sign the new agreement", probably realizing it's touchy, seeing what my move is. I'll leave them hanging a few days. Truck isn't due in until end of next week. Then I'll hope they honor agreement or increase my trade value. If not I'll walk. No rush. Plenty of options out there.

I've bought probably 10 new cars over 35 years, more if I include my wife. So often there is some nonsense, something wrong, inaccurate pricing, math, etc, either on purpose, or just laziness. No need to sell cars this way in 2023. It will change, maybe I won't see it, but it will.

I'll post the outcome later this week.

Spare Parts likes this.
  6. May 20, 2023 at 1:46 PM
    Cowboy59

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    I don't know what state your in, but I don't believe that can take a non-refundable deposit. If you don't come to terms, they should have to refund your deposit. Do a search of the web for the state you are in.

7. May 20, 2023 at 2:28 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    You paid your deposit based on the signed agreement, if they will not honor the agreement then I can’t see how legally they could keep your deposit, regardless if it’s refundable or not. They are breaking the agreement.

8. May 20, 2023 at 3:05 PM
    Cowboy59

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    Agreed.

9. May 20, 2023 at 3:20 PM
    Steely123

Steely123 What's the new trend? I'll do it!

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner SR5 premium
    Welcome. That signed agreement is binding for them too. They should've bait and switched you before that.

10. May 20, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    if moving forward with this deal, Please be extra cautious with each step going forward.

Call me old school but the comment above about getting a text from the salesperson would have me questioning their ethics and ultimate end game.

May be wrong but keep an eye out.

11. Jun 3, 2023 at 12:11 PM
    colbydog

colbydog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Gray ORP
    Truck was delivered 1 June with 3 miles, I picked up today. There was no arguing about pricing foul up discussed above. They f'd up and priced me an SR5 premium on the purchase agreement, when the VIN (and truck I wanted) was for an ORP. See above. Option 1, take truck at MSRP, Option 2, walk. Bottom line, a binding purchase agreement, with a non-refundable deposit, is binding for me, but not for thee. Usual dealer sales pitches, but nothing unexpected. Tried to push tru-cote (for Fargo fans), actually Smart Shield. No, no and no for all add on and accessories, which can be had cheaper elsewhere.

Note I mentioned in original post I had also looked at a CarMax 2022 SR5 Premium, 9k miles, $51K. I did go look at it. Price was non-negotiable, of course, and their trade offer was negligibly higher. So that was a no-brainer. CarMax is lagging the pricing game now, many NEW models are back to MSRP or below, very few have markups. For 4Runners, only the TRD Pro at this dealer has a $2k markup, and it wasn't moving.

Got two key fobs, for those wondering about that.

Salesman couldn't figure out Remote Connect/Remote start. Yeah, well, guess what, I thought I did my research but only JBL equipped 4runners get this what-should-be standard options. I mean, come-on comes with push button start and keyless passive entry, so that is just dumb... So that was disappointing. Every car I've had for years has had factory remote start...

But, I found some options, plug-n-play, that seem to fit the bill, and cheaper than a dealer install.

Of course my Thule feet don't fit the raised rails - this should really be standardized. Don't want the Toyota cross-bars and did not get them. Too close to roof.

Overall, happy. Not too many mods on the horizon. Yet.

12. Jun 3, 2023 at 5:17 PM
    qcTRDct

qcTRDct New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP KDSS
    Awesome you got the rig. You wont regret it.

13. Jun 3, 2023 at 5:22 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    Now that you have the purchase out of the way, You have one less thing to worry about.

Congratulations on getting what you wanted!

14. Jun 3, 2023 at 6:50 PM
    Cowboy59

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    Congrats

15. Jun 4, 2023 at 12:54 PM
    UofLCardfan77

UofLCardfan77 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Gray
    Black Out Overlays, Windows tinted (front doors),
    Welcome from the center of the bourbon universe.

Products Discussed in

To Top