1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New full headlights vs bulb replacement

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by codylouie, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Nov 26, 2022 at 9:31 PM
    codylouie

codylouie [OP] Dog lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Leann
    Vehicle:
    2020 White 4Runner TRD Pro
    Have a 5th generation 4Runner TRD pro. And I am sure I am not the only one disappointed with the headlights. Is it better to replace the full unit with LED or just the bulbs with LED? It’s a cost of ~$1,300 vs $300. But what lasts longer?

kolter45 likes this.
  2. Nov 26, 2022 at 10:42 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    4runGirl88 and codylouie[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 22, 2022 at 9:33 PM
    codylouie

codylouie [OP] Dog lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Leann
    Vehicle:
    2020 White 4Runner TRD Pro
    Got the Nilight 9005 H11 LED Headlight Bulbs. Tried to install and one of them is not tight, it connects well but wiggles even after tightening. Any recommendations?

4. Dec 22, 2022 at 9:44 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Definitely should return them. I have Nilight 9005 on my 2021 TRD Pro and they are not loose. So do not accept that. Maybe a manufacturing defect with a thinner rubber ring that doesn't give a tight fit.

codylouie[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 23, 2022 at 2:19 AM
    Foothills

Foothills New Member

Member:
    Recently replaced halogen fog lights with OEM led sealed units from a friends 2018 Tundra, tested them in several snow blizzards and are very bright and work great to delineate road edges and center. Replaced halogen headlight bulbs with Sylvania Zevo H11's and 9005's, brighter than new OEM sealed units, perfect color match to OEM fogs, bulbs are plug and play replacements with no modulator or other pig tail hanging off the bulb end, guaranteed for 5 years, $85 per set. Combo of fogs and Zevo low beams work excellent to light road in snow storms and fog with no glare to driver or oncoming traffic.
    Zevo high beams are crazy bight, lighting road and particularly ditches many hundred yards making deer and other wildlife easy to see and avoid but don't seem to bother oncoming traffic on divided highway, at least no one flashes.
    Very pleased with this setup for night driving in all conditions that I encounter.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  6. Dec 23, 2022 at 4:12 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    You run high beams when there's incoming traffic?

7. Dec 23, 2022 at 4:39 AM
    Foothills

Foothills New Member

Member:
    Depends on how far the oncoming vehicle is away, how heavy traffic is and depends on how wide the center median division is, many modern divided highways here are designed wide enough so that oncoming traffic lighting don't bother each other when using DOT high beam lights. Safer to run highbeam lights with good ditch coverage when one can here due to wildlife and dim when oncoming gets close if needed. On some northern highways at 2AM never see more than 2 or 3 vehicles in a 100 miles but may see dozens of moose, elk, deer and even bear.

8. Dec 23, 2022 at 5:06 AM
    JohnD

JohnD New Member

Member:
    I’m one the many in the camp that sees threads like this as guys wanting to make the low beams brighter and reach farther out. In other words high beams, and other drivers be damned, at least up to the point before they are followed and vandalized. Giant 80,000 pound semis seem to get by on headlights that don’t burn the retinas of oncoming traffic. Low beams are low for a reason. You aren’t supposed to make it hard for on coming traffic. If you can’t see far enough with what Toyota provided, you are going too fast for conditions.

9. Dec 23, 2022 at 5:06 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

I notice a lot of people don't seem to turn off their brights anymore. I sometimes wonder if people aren't aware that they're supposed to turn them off when there's oncoming traffic.

I don't think it's as big of a deal if there's a wide median, or the median has enough trees to block the light from affecting incoming traffic.

10. Dec 23, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    There's a difference between upgrading your low beams and running high beams when there's oncoming traffic. Low beams have a cutoff to avoid blinding other drivers. High beams do not.

11. Dec 23, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    Foothills

Foothills New Member

Member:
    How many here wear antiglare night driving glasses or contacts, helps spot ditch hazards and reduces glare from idiots that forget to dim lights. How many remember when dimmer switch was on the floor board next to left foot.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  12. Dec 23, 2022 at 6:07 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I never owned a car with the foot switch, but a friend had a '71 Monte Carlo with it.

I have driving glasses, but they're just regular prescription glasses. I never really thought about anti glare glasses for night driving. That sounds like a good idea!

13. Dec 23, 2022 at 6:23 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I guess anti glare glasses are needed when people get older and eyes get too sensitive? (No that's not a joke. I'm seriously asking.)
    So far I don't see any reason to have anti glare glasses for me when I'm driving looking at the right corner of the road if anyone from on coming traffic using highbeams.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  14. Dec 23, 2022 at 7:33 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I look down and away, also, when someone has obnoxious headlights or brights on. But, sometimes it's nice to look at the road. Especially if you're driving in an area where wildlife crossing is a concern.

If some glasses can make it safer to drive at night, it seems like a good idea to me. :notsure:

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top