1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 21 OR - couple questions

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by skipperjoe63, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Dec 4, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    skipperjoe63

skipperjoe63 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Coming off a Grand Cherokee for the last 3 years. Man, I love my 4R. This thing is a beast and just feels so comfortable. I don't have to tell y'all that, you already know.

One thing I noticed is a weird clicking "*clink*" sound when I start moving, but only right after I start the engine for the first time. Sequence: start engine, shift into D, start moving forward out of parking space, and about 5 seconds into moving something clicks under the car, maybe in the gearbox? Idk. Does it every time, but only after the engine has been off. I don't care about it, but I want to make sure there's not an issue or anything.

Other thing is I notice a slight high pitch ringing whenever I have the brake pressed, almost like the computer is activated or something, maybe that's what it is. Normal? Again, not a big deal to me but want to make sure it's all good.

Thanks all for any insight. So pumped to finally have mine!

Edit: I have KDSS on this, if that matters/could be related to the click sound

Other Scott likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2020 at 4:25 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:

That high pitch thing on brakes could be there from vehicle to vehicle. Eg - My Limited has that in cold days and when I go to dealer its not there. I even after I clean with pressure washer it re-appears after sometime vs my TRD and SR5 does not have that. No clue why it happens.

As for the "clink" I bet its when KDSS release the sway bar. Should be normal and since yours is new there is no way KDSS could have problems or leaks. It leaks only when it gets older or you damage on a trail.

Or if you have lifted yours KDSS can have a problem of track bar hitting the sway bay. It can be corrected with an after market trackbar.

Other Scott likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    Other Scott

Other Scott New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Offroad
    Mine does the same thing. I believe it is the ABS turning on. My other two Toyotas also made a similar sound.

POWERPLANTHOMER and marinrunner like this.
  4. Dec 5, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    skipperjoe63

Member:
    Thanks. Not lifted, but yeah could be KDSS. Glad to hear it's probably normal.

Regarding the brakes its not a high pitched squeaking/rubbing sound -- it's definitely electrical. A high pitched electrical frequency sound. Might just be the 'brake computer'?

5. Dec 5, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I think I know what you’re talking about in reference to the brakes, I’ve heard something electrical going on like a motor engaging/disengaging when I press the brakes sometimes. I don’t know if normal, but I haven’t had issues for the past 17k miles:notsure:

6. Dec 5, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    skipperjoe63

Member:
    Yep, exactly that. Glad to hear it hasn't led to issues.

Mtbpsych[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 7, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Yeah that high-pitched whine is normal, and annoying. I got used to it though, hardly notice now thankfully.

Products Discussed in

To Top