1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2021 ORP (to have rust proof applied or not)?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mac1usa, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Dec 20, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am planning on getting a new ORP in the spring and live in Michigan. I am not planning on driving it in salt/snow at the moment (thats the plan).

Do you guys get the underside rustproofed and who does this anymore? I have an old Explorer the dealer rustproofed in the 90's and its done well but spent its whole life in a garage and no salt etal.

I am wondering what you guys with newer units are doing and where do you go? Who do you trust to even do this? Ziebart/Krown I hear is here from Canada now?

One more thing that keep me thinking do I or don't I and who to trust? I hate to get someone that messes up a new $45k truck but I want to keep this thing 20 years also. I don't want to void warranties or mess something up either. I have not rust proofed other cars in 15 years so maybe I am overthinking this?

Appreciate your advice.

2. Dec 20, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    4Runner170V

4Runner170V New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner Trail
    SSO Slimline Bumper w/Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch FOX 2.5 Front, 2.0 Rear/ICON UCA/OME Rear Spring 33X12.50R17 DRIFTA Drawer System ARB Awning APS Side Steps ICS Fab. Center Console Mount LFD Roof Rack Cross Bar Dual Battery System HAM/GMRS Mobile Radio
    I applied several 4Runners in Northeast territory with my previous job. 4Runner it one of the hardest vehicle to undercoat. Krown is not bad product and yes, it is from Canada. I am not quite favor of Ziebart. They will continue to charge every year for so-called inspection re-application. One thing is certain, Undercoat is not the one to prevent from rusting, it is coat. Cavity wax is the chemical to preventative product. If vehicle is new and no rust condition, coat (undercoat) will extend your vehicle life for sure. But make sure that you have professional apply cavity wax in certain locations.

3. Dec 20, 2020 at 8:36 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Ziebart is crap. However, yes definitely get it Fluid Filmed or Krown. It's a Toyota, it's going to rot.

Ziebart is a goop that just seals everything in, including any moisture, and it will corrode from the inside out while looking good visually. Plus it gums everything up and makes vehicles harder to work on. There are numerous videos on youtube that show this.

You want to do something that "breathes" and won't trap in air or moisture. Fluid Film and Woolwax are lanolin based, and will breathe while preventing corrosion. Doing it now while your truck is new and doesn't have existing rust is the best way to keep it that way.

4. Dec 21, 2020 at 4:13 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    We had our last Toyota(Tacoma) done at the dealer, at the 1 year mark there was 0 corrosion, at the 3 yr mark there was zero corrosion, either we got lucky, or the stuff they use is good. We got our Runner done with the same stuff when we bought it new, but there are good alternatives in the aftermarket world too, as listed above. But for my money our vehicles are going to get some type of protection.

HondaKen and Trail Runnah like this.
  5. Dec 21, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    DirigoT4R

DirigoT4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP NB
    I’m in the New England coastal area. I had New Hampshire Oil applied to a ‘21 4runner. Similar product to Fluid Film, from what I read. Creeps into seems to help displace moisture and prevent rust. I have been cleaning the car by using a touch less car wash without the underbody spray. Best practice is likely to have the underbody washed in the summer, then reapply NH oil/FF in the fall. When I was getting my rig sprayed, another customer was bringing in a brand new Wrangler Willy. So FWIW, there’s a couple examples of new cars getting oil based treatments.

6. Dec 21, 2020 at 5:57 AM
    WIwhale

WIwhale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    I called a couple places and surprisingly was the same price as the dealer for undercoating. I went with the dealer as they Were the only ones that provided warranty against rust. Looks good now, time will tell.

DirigoT4R likes this.
  7. Dec 21, 2020 at 6:05 AM
    WIwhale

WIwhale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    I was on the fence about doing it as I never have before and never have had issues (live in WI). But I plan on keeping this 12-15 years so want to protect it the best I can. If nothing else, I sleep better at night!

HondaKen likes this.
  8. Dec 21, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    DirigoT4R

DirigoT4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP NB
    For sure. Makes sense. Dealer quoted me $500 for wax based sealant. I ended up paying $200 for NH oil that will last a year. Kinda wish I had done both. NH oil sells a combo deal for $1k, plus some yearly maintenance at low cost. I want to say that both methods have pros and cons.

One thing that has me a bit paranoid are rodents eating the soy based wiring. I’ve read horror stories. I’ve been told that NH Oil actually helps prevent rodents. So there’s that.

Trail Runnah and HondaKen like this.
  9. Dec 21, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. I am just trying to find the best. Years ago I had an Explorer rustproofed and man did I have a clean up mess! I had a solvent they gave me and went over that thing on a weekend taking off black spots off the paint. I wish some of this stuff did not have to be done annually; it seems everything requires more maint. Heck maybe I am worried too much I may not live that long to worry about it rusting out. Its just not everyday I spend $45k on a truck so I am trying to get all my bases covered.

10. Dec 21, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    bwoody

bwoody New Member

Member:
    Had mine done with wool wax. its similar to fluid film just thicker and seems to last longer.

11. Dec 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    DirigoT4R

DirigoT4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP NB
    yeah, I finished detailing the brand new 4runner (polish and ceramic wax), then like an idiot took it in for the NH oil rust spray. For sure oil sprayed all over the windows, paint, etc. Annoying to remove. The play next year is to get the oil first, then clean second. Shocking!

Singleminded likes this.
  12. Dec 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro AG
    Krown is the go to for me, do it in warmer weather as it adheres better, then just remember rinse it well once a week.

My dad had a 91 Accord that was krown annually, at that time we lived in Montreal and when he sold it 9 years later, there was no rust.

13. Dec 21, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    bwoody

bwoody New Member

Member:
    made that mistake last year on my 2019 Duramax. Took some good scrubbing to get that wool wax off

Toy4X4 likes this.
  14. Dec 21, 2020 at 4:36 PM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Our rust preventative dealer installed, live in Wis. also, it proved to be exactly what they said....rust preventative.

HondaKen likes this.
  15. Dec 22, 2020 at 3:27 AM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Fluid Film is easy to apply. Have used it on all my trucks with body on frame construction. It can be applied with a small pancake compressor as well. Be sure to do inside of the frame as well. Also easy to keep a few cans lying around the garage for touch up through the winter.

DirigoT4R and Toy4X4 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top