1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 1995 4runner electrical issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Waynes, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Jan 22, 2022 at 12:21 PM
    Waynes

Waynes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3vze
    For a while now, my 95 4runner, A/T with the 3.0 motor has very intermittently, not wanted to start. It has spark, and pulses to the injectors. It has all of the symptoms of a fuel issue. I have changed out the pump, (x2), the EFI relay and the open circuit relay. Yesterday, I stopped for fuel, and it would not start. The motor spins over, just wont start. I saw this one coming, so had tools in the rig. I popped the cover off of the top of the gas tank, (the one I cut in under the seat), added a wire to the positive post of the fuel pump and wired it the my cig lighter. The motor instantly started. Not the safest, but it got me home. Looking at the wiring diagrams, I have narrowed it down to the fuel circuit, the wire between the neutral/park switch and the #3 post on the opening circuit relay.
    My question is this. Where on the transmission is the park/neutral switch? Does anyone know the physical lay out of the harness in this area?
    Any help or advice is a big help.

2. Jan 29, 2022 at 12:46 AM
    ZARTT

ZARTT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Vehicle:
    1995 4Runner, Black,Tan Interior, 5spd.,(convert from A340) 207,000 mi., on its 3rd 3VZE.
    Ford Taurus 2 spd. elec. cooling fan, GM CS-144 alternator upgrade. Intimidator AGM battery.
    Hi:
    An easier way to run the fuel pump in a situation like yours, is to jumper B+ to FP with a paper clip, in the diagnostic socket next to the underhood fuse box.
    There is a label in the cover that shows what the pinout is.
    Art.

3. Jan 29, 2022 at 9:13 AM
    Waynes

Waynes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3vze
    Underestimating the power of coincidence is a squirrel hole I went down. I tried jumpering the diagnostic port, and had no luck, so went to the direct route. These intermittent no starts were kicking my butt. Finally it stayed long enough to troubleshoot. Ended up being no spark. The tach had no bump when turning over the motor. Instead of being a parts changer, I kept at it but was stumped. My wife, bless her heart, began to pray, and low and behold, the Lord revealed the problem. I must have leaned too hard on the connector to the distributor, and damaged it. Replaced it, got my spark back and off we went. When I was a refrigeration tech, where 700 plus families were reliant on us to keep things cold so we could make product , more than once I prayed for His help to keep things running and was never disappointed.

Products Discussed in

To Top