1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need You Help Please With Ignition Connector/Starting

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by KV4Runner, May 11, 2019.

1. May 11, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    KV4Runner

KV4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi All

1998 4 Runner 4v4 SR5 with 315k miles. My ignition cylinder's metal rod literally broke but in an awkward spot where I cant just put a screwdriver in there to turn it to start. I took apart my steering housing, took off the airbag, pulled off the steering wheel.

Then I went to remove my lock cylinder and it basically fell apart into pieces in my hand.

So, I'm fairly certain I can hotwire my own vehicle. I tried jumping the starter fuse in the engine bay with a paperclip and it will turn over but not start all the way (not sure why?)

Im assuming I can either put a paper clip into my ignition connector or cut the wires off of it and hotwire my car to a simple switch.

I did a lot of research to no avail, Id love some help.

Thanks in advance!

2. May 13, 2019 at 3:39 AM
    KV4Runner

KV4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Attached to the ignition harness is a plastic piece with about 8 copper "tits" and 2 copper rings. These rings turn as you turn the key and make connections to start the car. I was able to fiddle with the rings to make connections to get it to turn over but of course Id have to hold it. I ordered a $27 ignition part from Rock Auto to connect and I figure I can just use a screwdriver from that point on.

Products Discussed in

To Top