1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some help picking coils.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Reldn, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Feb 21, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    Reldn

Reldn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    Hello all,

Finally got a delivery date for my '21 Off Road Premium, and in the meantime I've been jumping the gun a bit and purchasing some planned upgrades. Currently I've got a set of Eibach Pro Truck Sport shocks for the front and rear and plan to set them at 1.6" w/stock springs and stock rear height.

However, I'm also contemplating just buying some new coils to provide some extra lift. Nothing crazy: 2'' max in the front and 1'' in the rear. It's tempting to go with the Eibach coils, but, with the front being 2.75'' that would definitely require some new UCAs. So, I've been searching around to find some other brand coils that will provide just 2'' in front and 1'' rear, and all I really have been finding is the Dobinson C59-300s for the front...which seem to be sold out/back-ordered everywhere.

Could anyone recommend some other brands of coils that provide those heights? Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 21, 2021 at 4:51 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Take a look at the Bilstein 6112 Series Front Shock kit that is an adjustable set from I think it go from 3/4 inch or slightly more up to 2.5 inches.

Reldn[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 21, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Weirdly, you're looking for a unicorn.

I say weirdly because you'd think a 2/1 coil lift would be an extremely popular for a lot of people, but very few companies offer a 2" front lift coil. Eibach does offer a 1.6" front coil through Toytec if that interests you. It's 620lb.

Dobinsons is the only company I can think of that offers something close to a 2" front lift coil, but it seems that people often get varying lift heights with their coils. I don't know if that's a measuring issue from the installers or a consistency issue from Dobinsons. If you put them on, no one can really assure you you'll get 2" out of them.

Last option I can suggest is going with an adjustable 2.0" coilover to get 2" of lift in the front. Eibach, Fox, and Dobinsons offer adjustable coilovers in that size.

Moon Landing, Mtbpsych and Reldn[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 21, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    Reldn

Reldn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    *laughs* That's what I've been noticing too. Those Dobinsons coils have been the only the only 2'' I can find.

That's a really good point on those Eibach coilovers, and that might be my best bet in the long run. I may just go with running my 4Runner with the Pro Truck shocks set at 1.6'' for the time being and see if I even want to lift it further before deciding to go for the coilovers. (and saving up for them.)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    nimby likes this.
  5. Feb 21, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I have the Eibach adjustable shocks with my stock coils set at 1.6". It rides really nice. Zero complaints here.

Reldn[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 22, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    IMO these coil manufacturers need to get their shit together and offer some 2" front lift springs.

After going through exactly what you're going through, I splurged on a Bilstein 6112 setup for the front. I'm with you.. just stick with the struts/shocks and stock springs, or splurge for 6112's or adjustable coilovers.

Reldn[OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 23, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    Reldn

Reldn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    This is going to be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance, but...Out of curiosity, how did you adjust the snap ring for setting it to a different notch? I've attempted moving the ring from where it was pre-installed on the stock setting up to the 1.6'' spot, but, it feels like I'm going to end up breaking the thing when I try. I've tried both opening the ring and moving it up to the next spot and also opening it and backing it completely off of it's current spot. I've got extra clips in case of breakage at least, but, I'd like to not mess up the original if at all possible.

8. Feb 23, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    They're definitely tight, but I think I just wedged a flat head screwdriver in there to create a little space and then used a pair of pliers to pull them off.

It's crazy that the entire weight of your truck rests on those snap rings.

9. Feb 23, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    Reldn

Reldn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    Awesome, thanks! I'll give that a shot and see if that'll do it.

I'm the same way. When I first opened up the box and took a look at the shocks that was the first thought in my mind: "Holy shit...THIS will be taking all the weight?!" It made me a bit nervous to be quite honest, but, with the amount of people using them for on-and-off road usage and having no issues is comforting. *laughs*

nimby likes this.
  10. Mar 4, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    I, too, wondered about the whole snap ring thing. But then, if you think about the physics of it, that ring ain't going nowhere. Probably stronger than a weld actually.

11. Mar 4, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road w/KDSS in silver
    Are you going to be adding anything heavy like steel sliders and skids, bumpers, etc? If so, I would wait on buying coils until you know how much weight you will be adding above oem.

I'm pretty sure they will have most if not all of these in stock, but probably only in teal.

http://shop.totalautomotiveperformance.com/dobinsons/dobinsons-front-coils/c59302/i-7537714.aspx
    C59-300: 1.75" to 2.0" (oem weight)
    C59-302: 2.5" (oem weight)

http://shop.totalautomotiveperformance.com/dobinsons/dobinsons-rear-coils/g-97538.aspx
    C59-599: 1" (oem weight)
    C59-505: 1.5" (oem weight)

By the way, Mike at Exit Offroad is expecting a shipment of coils around the end of March.

Moon Landing and Reldn[OP] like this.
  12. Mar 4, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    Reldn

Reldn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    Awesome, thanks for the links! As it stands right now the only extra weight I'll be adding are some Nfab steps and a Steel RCI skid plate + Bumper Filler plate. So, nothing too overly heavy at the moment...Now if I just had a vehicle to put this stuff on! ...It should hopefully be any day now.

Moon Landing likes this.
  13. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    Reldn

Reldn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    Apologies for hijacking my own thread, but, I felt this question fits better in here than as a separate thread.

Is anyone running the rear Eibach coils along with the stock front? I'm thinking about having the coils put in when I go to get my front and rear shocks installed giving me a 1'' lift in the rear and 1.6'' in the front. Looks wise? I think it'll look fine, but, I'm really not sure how the ride quality will be with the Eibach coils in the rear with the stock ones in the front.

14. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    The rear eibach coils are really close in spring rate to the stock rear coils.

Stock coils are around 200lbs and the rear Eibach coils are around 206lbs.

So basically, the rear Eibach coils are just giving you a little more height.

You should be fine running them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Reldn[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Mar 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    Reldn

Reldn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    Awesome! I think I've got my lift figured out finally. Now to just call the 4x4 shop and see about getting an appointment sometime.

I don't think my Wife is looking forward to me getting it lifted, though. *laughs*

nimby likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top