1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help adjusting parking brake 2000 4runner

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Al 2000 4runner, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Jan 26, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    Al 2000 4runner

Al 2000 4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Pacifica ca
    Vehicle:
    20004runner
    Lift kit
    Hello everyone how do I adjust my parking brake on my 2000 4runner when I’m on a boat ramp launching boat parking brake won’t hold Not sure what I need to adjust on the rear brakes thanks for your help

2. Jan 27, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Rear brake drums are adjusted by using the e-brake lever repeatedly. Actuate it like 10 times. It should take 5-7 clicks each time for the lever to engage the brakes.

There are adjusters that move in the drums when you actuate the lever. They may be frozen. The drums probably need to come off and everything lubricated and inspected.

You can tighten the screw in the center console under the lever "a bit". Any more than "a bit" and you have an issue in the drums or cable. I've had my 4Runner since new and you have always had to give it a good pull to get it to hold the car on an incline with the transmission engaged. If you are going all the way to the top...then I think your drum adjusters are frozen.

Products Discussed in

To Top