1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help, 4runner AC Compressor

Discussion in '4th Gen Builds (2003-2009)' started by Travison22, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Sep 6, 2020 at 12:39 AM
    Travison22

Travison22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota 4runner 4.0L v6
    So I just bought an 07 4runner 4.0L V6 ( beautiful ride!) And the ac was working initially but by the third day of driving it the ac seemed somewhat dim...Though here in SoCal we have been having record breaking heat, like 111-116 so I thought it could just possibly be that it was too hot to sufficiently cool the car down. Nevertheless I broke down and bought an r-134a recharge canister with the quick connect to the low pressure ac line and did as directed by the instructions on the canister. I preshook the can vigorously and then with it plugged on gave it a few sprays upside down at 12:00 and 3:00, then jumped in the car to find out the ac now completely blows hot and is making a loud squealing noise that I think is coming from the compressor. Did I overfill the lines and ruin the compressor??? I need help or guidance as far as any next steps I can take to maybe alleviate this problem... Do I need to replace the compressor? Check for leaks??? Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 9, 2020 at 10:24 PM
    frankthetank1234

frankthetank1234 New Member

Member:
    I think you need to check for leaks, and I don't think you ruined the compressor.

After I replaced the engine on my 2006 4runner I had to recharge the AC. Well I overcharged it, and heard a hissing sound coming from the engine bay (even with the engine off) and the fan only blew hot air even with the AC on. The first o-ring that's going to blow in the system is from the compressor to the AC line, since that is where the air is compressed and the lines see the high pressure first. The best way to check this is using a UV dye and black light. You can find the UV dye cans at any auto store, and they have the instructions on how to find the leak in the system. Normally that means charge the system with dye, then refrigerant, then you should be able to find a splatter of UV dye in your engine bay somewhere if you follow the lines with the light.
    If the leak is at the compressor -> AC line o-ring, you can access it by removing the front driver's wheel. You'll have to remove some fasteners and brackets that hold the line in place, but the replacement is pretty easy. I can't remember the exact size, but I bought an assortment of metric o-rings from O'reilly's and found the right one. And now the system is working flawlessly..

Good luck!

3. Sep 9, 2020 at 10:26 PM
    frankthetank1234

frankthetank1234 New Member

Member:
    Unless the squealing sound doesn't go away....

Products Discussed in

To Top