1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help: 2019 ORP or 2020 OR

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by barcataco, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Jun 22, 2020 at 10:12 PM
    barcataco

barcataco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Howdy,

New here. Am ready to pull the trigger on a new ride, just sold my supercharged 2010 toyota tacoma and am in the market for a 4runner. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go the used route or to buy new. As it stands, I found a decent deal on a lightly used 2019 off-road premium (has less than 10,000 miles on it) for roughly $38000 + TTL, but also have a few decent quotes on a new 2020 off-road for about $37000 + TTL. Are things like the updated head unit on 2020s and the fact that it would be a brand new vehicle with full warranties (and a grand cheaper) reason enough to buy a lesser trim level new, vs buying an older model year, higher trim level, used? I know its a subjective question, but was wondering what peoples opinions were!

Cheers

2. Jun 22, 2020 at 10:26 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I specifically chose the 2019 over 2020, as I had no interest in the electronic nannies now available on the newer models. But plenty of owners are picking up 2020 models.

Is the 2019 from a dealer?

3. Jun 23, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    joenardi4

joenardi4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Need to buy a 4Runner
    Hello Barcataco, glwood54, and the rest of you 4Runner fans:

I am facing similar decision as BarcaTaco... I am especially attracted to the 4Runner OffRoads.

Below is my summary of choices and reflects current Toyota $1500 rebate on new purchases (that I read expires July 6th ?).

It is a tough decision, and I have never owned a 4Runner. Expert input is definitely welcome:

Choice1:
    For appx $31k before TTL, a used 2019 OffRoad (non-premium) with ~25k miles from Hertz sales given their bankruptcy situation.
    Choice2: For appx $39k before TTL, a new 2020 OffRoad (non-premium) with zero miles from nearby great dealerships. I think it had running boards but not much else fancy.
    Choice3: For appx $42k before TTL, a new 2020 OffRoad Premium. Adds "leather", heated seats, cargo tray, and maybe a sunroof.

Initially Choice1 had lots of appeal, though it's proving difficult to arrange Hertz Rent2Buy here in the northeast for me anyway, which only makes sense given news of big staff cuts.

Enter Choice2: More careful comparison of 2019 vs 2020 drew my attention to the anti-collision type features, plus the larger console with AppleCar Talk. I learned its possible to upgrade a 2019 with 2020 style larger console incl Apple CarTalk, though seems dangerous to even ask if its possible to add aftermarket collision avoidance products. It sounds like I need to research these more, but on the surface and keeping it simple, I am inclined think the 2020 collision avoidance features have real value to me while I own the car, and later if I choose to sell it. Sure some haggling but relatively easy to buy, full bumper to bumper warranty for 3yrs or 36k, plus oil changes for 2yr/25k miles. Sheesh i should do this i thought.

Choice3 - After getting comfortable with the extra cost a new basic 2020 OffRoad (non premium), plus a clean and simple deal, then I asked.... Geez i can't believe the seats on a $40k new car aren't heated, and they're cloth. And manual passenger seat. That cargo deck would be nice too. I see mention of "Dynamic Navigation" -- i would think i need that no? and i'm concerned that's not in some of the OffRoad (non-premium configs I'm seeing). idk

The road leads on to. I can't afford the fancy Offroad Pro, and i was thinking originally planning to of spend $30k. But.. Geez i really like those Nitto Grapler style tires. Or at least moderately aggressive tires. Some OffRoad's even Premium's I see have disappointingly basic tires. I want to stay stock and not get into lift kits etc, but want good tires. Seems (?) I should go for the sliding cargo deck because I might like to camp in back on extreme ventures, plus routinely load and unload equipment for work. I don't require but am fine with a sunroof, however will *definitely* want a full length roof rack so I can put a big canoe or ladder on for instance.

I need to purchase more reliable vehicle fast. I have to drive in bad weather between varied microclimates along coast and into interior highlands, sometimes heavy snows. Sometimes offroad but not hardcore rock-crawling like I see on Youtube.

I definitely appreciate input. Thus far, I've pretty much settled on buying a new 2020 OffRoad versus trying to find a bargain 2019 OffRoad such as through Hertz or similar. I like the OffRoad Premium for my money, but want to find one with good tires. I see on EBay what appear to be take-off TRD style fancier wheels with Nitto Grapplers appx $1600 for four shipped. I'm not averse to that either as long as I don't rub on wheel liners.

This will be my first 4Runner, so I welcome the education and look forward the reliability and functionity you all enjoy. I am rough on vehicles and use the hell out of them (in bursts), but only drive about 10k miles per year, often on dry pavement at 70mph, but sometimes in blizzards, or on construction sites, or offroad exploring camping and fishing etc.

I am all ears. Thank you!

Joe from Connecticut USA

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    4FSAKE likes this.
  4. Jun 23, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    joenardi4

joenardi4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Need to buy a 4Runner
    BTW, BarcaTaco... in specific response to your question...

Even if the $38k 2019 ORP is in immaculate condition, and well equipped.... I would personally would opt for less featured 2020 OR that included the collision avoidance and the bigger smarter console & head end. The $1k savings makes it an even easier decision. $37k is great price for 2020 OR -- tell us more please.

Good luck!

mrmike7189 likes this.
  5. Jun 23, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    ShayBrah89

ShayBrah89 New Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I went with a 2020 for the new safety features, Apple CarPlay, and bigger head unit, but you can’t go wrong with either!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    brownersd and mrmike7189 like this.
  6. Jun 23, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    2022? Wow, did you really go into the future to get that. Please show us the pics!

7. Jun 23, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    I like the 2020 for the adaptive cruise control, bigger more up to date head unit, and the nanny stuff you can turn off so its really a non issue, plus whats wrong with a truck that will slam the brakes for you if you are distracted?

also the 2020 trd options have the TRD exhaust which I dont believe they did in 2019 but I could be wrong.

joenardi4 likes this.
  8. Jun 23, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    kailuakona04

kailuakona04 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Off-Road Premium
    In-Progress.
    I just bought the 2020 T4R TRD ORP with 2 miles on it off the lot with KDSS and the Toyota Safety Sensor. It came with port installed all weather floor mats, black out emblems, cargo liner, running bards, chrome exhaust tip and a moonroof. What I really didn't care for were the road tires it came with but until I get the ICON suspension and larger size tires/wheels installed, it'll have to work. So far I'm loving it and enjoying the aftermarket products available. I had a 2003 Montero Sport prior so all the added options are nice. Now I have run into issues of some products being scarcely available due to the new arrangement of some of the engine components interfering with dual battery systems, ARB compressor mounts, the TSS affected by a front bumper with a upper tube, etc.
    Bottom line, I'm loving it. And the fact that products are still being made for the 2020 means I won't spend too much money up front and can budget this build out.
    I've also started a thread under the 5th Gen Build list just to see what I've done so far. Not anywhere near the builds that others have but it is an ORP like the ones you're looking at.
    You won't be disappointed in either and the support for this platform is phenomenal.

9. Jun 23, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    ShayBrah89

ShayBrah89 New Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    It’s these fat thumbs of mine I tell ya

10. Jun 24, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    barcataco

Member:
    Well, I did it! Went with the 2019 ORP. I think I would have been bummed if I went for a 2020 OR and had cloth seats. I’m upgrading from a 2010 tacoma, so even the 2019 is leagues above what I was previously driving. Paid $36,750 plus tax, and it only has 9000 miles (was a prior lease vehicle). Sunroof, upgraded audio, rear cargo slider and some aftermarket paint protection. I live in Seattle, so good deals on 4runners are hard to come by. Drove away feeling Like I got a good deal, so I’m happy! The upgrade to being a premium plus being cheaper than new was enough of a compromise in lieu of going with a 2020 with the new head unit and tss, etc.

Pics to follow!

11. Jun 24, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Congrats. As long as you are happy with it is all that counts.

12. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    barcataco

Member:

Now on to prioritizing mods. Anyone seen a silver 4Runner with bronze rims? Thinking about giving that a try.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  13. Jun 24, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    looks good. now for rims, tires, rock sliders, lights, a roof rack, a ladder, a winch, new bumpers, shocks, springs, :spending: :yay:

barcataco[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top