1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need bronze wheel help please

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jedi5150, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Feb 2, 2023 at 8:52 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Hello all, I'm sorry to do it to you, but I'm starting a dreaded "which wheel" thread. Yes, I've searched this forum, Google, TW forum, etc. endlessly, but I still need help. :annoyed:

I've decided to pull the trigger on a set of bronze wheels for my 2022 silver TRD ORP. I know bronze on silver is not for everyone, but I like the look. The problem is, I want to keep it at a 7" or at most 7.5" width, since the tires I'll be running are skinnies (255/80R17's). I'm aware you can put that size tire on anything up to 8.5, but I don't want to risk it. I'm pretty much set on 7 or 7.5".

This leaves me with the predicament that almost nobody makes bronze wheels that narrow. I know the obvious answer is the bronze TRD Pro wheels, in 7", and I'll most likely have to go with those. But I'm really not enamored with the design of those wheels...they look too "busy" for my taste. I really prefer wheels with the 5 or 6 point stars. If anyone could suggest a wheel that I haven't found, I'd be very appreciative. I'd also like it to fit similar to stock (so a positive offset I'm guessing, since the Pro wheels come with 4mm offset and the ORP wheels come with 15mm offset?).

Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 2, 2023 at 9:06 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I think you're over thinking this whole width thing. Your desired tire size is 0.4 inches different than the OEM tire's width, its not some exotic sizing.

Manufacturers suggest 6.5 to a 9 inch wide wheel. That's the range of wheel they suggest to safely mount a 255/80/17. It's not like 6.5 is more sketchy than 7. That's the approved width range.

Find some wheels you like in that range. FN Wheels makes some simpler designs that would probably be of interest to you.

3. Feb 2, 2023 at 9:14 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    I'm by no means an exert, so I hope you're correct. On the threads I read on TW they say most manufacturer's tires in that size are rated from 6.5-8.5 (I haven't checked the Toyo MT's, which I'll be using). They also mention that manufacturer's approved wheel sizes are for inflated to spec tires only, and are not rated for airing down. Allegedly people pop beads very easily at 8.5" wheels and up when airing down 255's??

Thanks for the head's up on FN. I do like the look of their Type X, and see it comes in an 8". Would the -10 offset cause issues with my tire size?

Trail Runnah likes this.
  4. Feb 2, 2023 at 9:25 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Look on the tire manufacturers website to see their approved width, so you don't have to take my word for it.

Airing down and slipping a bead is always an issue when lowering pressure. That's why beadlocks were invented. Being smart with air pressure, throttle and terrain will allow you to keep your tires on the wheel. Having a spare in my opinion is more important than having some sweet spot of wheel/tire width.

I'll be honest wheel offset and backspace always seems like a crazy mystery with fitment. Look up stealth custom series wheels. Their fitment in my opinion is perfect. Outside of the wheel lines up exactly with the fender. Stick close to those specs and you'll be set.

Jedi5150[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 2, 2023 at 9:30 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    A negative offset definitely raises the chance of rubbing. FWIW, I had some very minor rubbing on -6mm wheels with stock size tires.

Hopefully someone will have some experience with that specific tire size.

6. Feb 3, 2023 at 6:21 AM
    mainerunr

mainerunr New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP
    Toyo AT3's, Greenlane Sliders
    I like the Type X as well but would probably push to the Six Shooter (which, unfortunately does not come in the blue) for the 0mm offset...

7. Feb 10, 2023 at 1:09 AM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    I would take the word of the people that are popping beads on the wider rims, rather than opinions. I do understand your concern as it is also my exact concern.

You have to inflate that skinny tire for the bead to seat the wider wheel, so it only makes sense that when you air down you are losing the pressure needed to get that tire to fill a rim that is out of spec for the tire.

8. Feb 10, 2023 at 5:02 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I'm with you, a narrow tire needs a narrow wheel. Whenever I look at aftermarket wheels I'm disappointed by the lack of availability of wheels in the 7-7.5" sizes.

I really like the 255/80/17 size too, but I'll most likely stick with stock wheels.

Incidentally, mine is silver as well, and the bronze/silver look has really grown on me.

9. Feb 10, 2023 at 7:02 AM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    I appreciate the feedback and opinions, Gents.

I agree with you that experience is usually better than opinions on theory. But one clarification, the 8.5 wheels are not technically "out of spec", they just aren't ideal.

I ended up ordering a set of bronze Method 701's in 8.5, and a set of Toyo Open Country MT's, in 255/80R17. We'll see how it goes. I'm by no means saying it was the smart choice, but here are some factors that ultimately swayed me:

-Toyo couldn't list 6.5-8.5 as the "approved" range for the wheel/ tire combination unless it was safe at standard pressures for all wheel sizes within that range. So driving at highway speeds and pressures, it will be safe. Airing down then becomes the only concern.

-I know my driving style and decision making, and I'm very conservative when it comes to trails. I don't drive trails that push the vehicle to its limits, such as super off-camber trails, or insanely low air pressures.

-Lastly, if there was any wheel (other than a beadlock) that was better for using skinny tires on a wider wheel, I think Method's "Bead Grip" wheels like the 701 are probably the best choice. I watched some YouTube reviews, and it really doesn't seem to be a marketing gimmick. These guys were running tires at ridiculously low pressures on the Method bead grip wheels, on far rougher terrain than I'd drive on, and the beads weren't popping. I understand they weren't using 255 tires, I'm just making the point that the added features do seem to make it one of the better wheel choices for my intended uses. I'll keep everyone posted and update this thread if I ever pop a bead. Right now I'm cautiously optimistic. :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    SlvrSlug and Trail Runnah like this.
  10. Feb 10, 2023 at 7:09 AM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Same here. I'm borrowing these two photos from Method's website, until I can get my own photos, so hopefully they don't mind (they shouldn't as I'm advertising for their wheels haha). I think they look great on a silver 4Runner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Feb 10, 2023 at 9:00 AM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Yes 8.5’s should be fine. As you mentioned airing down is where things can get questionable, a lot of different factors involved there.

Tirerack has good information regarding tires, section width, tread width, rim width, measured rim width.

Trail Runnah and Jedi5150[OP] like this.
  12. Feb 10, 2023 at 11:49 AM
    singalls

singalls New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road Premium
    Thanks for updating the thread. Please do post pictures when you can. I'm in a similar boat. Silver 4runner and thinking about methods 701 or 705 in black or bronze.

Jedi5150[OP] likes this.
  13. Feb 10, 2023 at 12:51 PM
    Fortuner

Fortuner New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium w/KDSS
    TireRack has some wheel selections under 8" in width and with positive offset. Reputable company too. Found this one with just a quick search:

Sparco Dakar in Bronze
    Size: 17x7.5
    Offset: +24mm
    Weight: 26.5lbs

[​IMG]

Trail Runnah and Jedi5150[OP] like this.
  14. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:07 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Will do! I'm excited to get them, so you will have photos as soon as I'm possibly able. Haha:D

Trail Runnah likes this.
  15. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:48 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Nice find. I always forget about tire rack, I never think about them for off-road stuff. It's a pretty good looking wheel.

16. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:54 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Looking forward to seeing them!

17. Feb 10, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I went with the bronze (mate), I think, and chose RRW with -12 offset. It took a little while to get them but they seem ok. 285/70/17.

20220817_102116.jpg
    20220816_193049.jpg

18. Feb 10, 2023 at 4:08 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Those look terrific with blue! I love that color.

ChessGuy[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Feb 24, 2023 at 1:32 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    As promised, I just got these put on today, so here they are. 2" OME lift, Method 701 bronze wheels (8.5" with 0 offset), and 255/80R17 Toyo Open Country MT tires. I love the look. The 33.3" tires fill the wheel wells so much better (especially with the lift) than my 32" KM3's did. As for trimming, I removed the front mud flaps, and thankfully, even at full lock, they don't come anywhere near the body mount...like more than an inch of space. They do rub on the front, so I'll do a bit of trimming there, but it's just plastic inside the wheel well, and I'm not at all concerned about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  20. Feb 24, 2023 at 4:03 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    @Jedi5150 That looks fantastic! I love the stance, and I love that those wheels and tires tuck in the fenders. I have a 2-in lift waiting to install on mine, I'm excited now at how it's going to look. I might have to upgrade tires too sooner than I thought haha.

How do you like the tires so far, how do they handle, and how's the road noise? I know they're mud tires so obviously that is not the priority, but I'm just curious.

YetiMtnBkr and Jedi5150[OP] like this.
  21. Feb 24, 2023 at 4:10 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Thanks for the kind words. Post some photos of yours as you go along! As for noise, I'm honestly not the best judge of that, seeing as how my Sherpa roof rack has a fair bit of wind noise, my jerrycans and cargo cases add wind noise, and I've had the KM3 mud terrains on it since I bought the truck. I can say that these Toyos seem a tiny bit quieter than the KM3's, and possibly a little smoother on the road. I'm incredibly happy with the whole set-up now. I have the winch all ready to go and my low-profile front bumper from Hefty Fab should be done in the next week or so. One day I'd like the Hefty Fab aluminum rear bumper, but those are so backordered you can't even place an order for them right now. Aside from that, she's pretty much complete. :D

Oh, and I do need to do some trimming and the fender liner push-up mod, but that'll be done by tomorrow.

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Feb 24, 2023 at 4:17 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Haha! I was so focused at checking out the wheels I didn't even notice the stuff on the roof.

So with all that stuff on the roof and mud tires, I imagine the radio volume knob get to work out haha.

It'll be a while before I get to my install, I don't have a garage to work in, so I'm waiting for warmer weather.

23. Feb 24, 2023 at 4:19 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Oh yes...I am very familiar with the "Max volume" error message when adjusting the speakers. :D:p

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Feb 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM
    singalls

singalls New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road Premium
    Looks great!!! Thanks for sharing your progress. I know bronze on silver is a controversial combo but I like it!

I have some decisions to make on wheels and this helps.

Jedi5150[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top