1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Advice re: Changing Wheels (from 20 to 17) on 2012 4Runner Limited

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by dwboulder, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Nov 10, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    dwboulder

dwboulder [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Limited Silver
    Hi there.
    I have a 2012 4Runner Limited which currently has 20" wheels and tire size of 245/60R20. I live in Colorado, and am often driving in snow/ice during the winter. I would like to put a good set of All-Terrain tires on my 4runner which would be good for both highway/summer and winter/snow conditions. The tires I would like to use are BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 Tire Size: 265/70R17.

The problem with the 20" wheels is that there are not really any good all-terrain tires out there for 20" wheels, so I'm considering changing my wheels to 17", and need some advice on this....specifically:

* what are the specs of the 17" wheels that I should be purchasing to be able to install on them BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 Tire Size: 265/70R17?

* what should the wheel offset be on the 17" rim (From online research that i've done, my current OEM 20" wheels have either a 12mm offset or a 15mm offset)

* do i need to worry about other details such as wheel backspace?

* If i purchase the 17" wheels, will there be any issues with installing BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 Tire Size: 265/70R17?

* any other advice/suggestions appreciated.

Thx!

2. Nov 10, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Wheeler's Off-Road Inc New Member Vendor

Member:
    Here is a GREAT known Toyota based wheel manufacturer that makes some really affordable and good lookin' wheels. Check out their spec's for reference. :thumbsup:

https://www.stealthcustomseries.com/

Bob likes this.
  3. Nov 11, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    I ran scs wheels on my Tacoma and they are top notch. Equally as good for Toyota is FN Wheel. Do a google search, there is more styles available than what is on the website.

4. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Vehicle:
    '17 4R SR5 4WD x 2!
    Things with stuff, but nothing much
    You don't sound like a wheel connoisseur, but more like a guy who wants / needs function. To that end, I would not buy any aftermarket wheels. Just get a set of take off Toyota 17" wheels from craigslist or similar. Any 17" Toyota 6 lug wheel will work and will maintain correct backspacing and allow you to use your lug nuts and TPMS. You should be able to snag a set for sub-$200, easily.

As an example, I got a set of take off TRD-OR wheels last year for $50.

As far as tires sizing and fitting them on a 17" wheel, you will have no issues putting the stock size BFGs on a stock size wheel.

To Top