1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on lift

Discussion in '5th Gen Builds (2010-2024)' started by Mhamo77, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Sep 23, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    Mhamo77

Mhamo77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road
    None yet. Just switched out factory tires for A/T.
    I have a 2018 TRD Off-Road that I take off-roading twice a month with the family and/or with a friend. Mostly trails and some crawling. Nothing too crazy.

I would like to have more clearance to tackle some of the more challenging trails here in SoCal. And eventually want to upgrade to 285s.

What lift kit/package do you all recommend. How much should I expect to spend if I have it done at a shop?

2. Sep 23, 2020 at 3:02 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    There are so many options out there it is hard to make a decision. If you do some reading on here you can get a feel for what has worked for other members as far as, needs, quality, price. I had Bilstien 5100’s on my 02, and was very happy with them @ 2” lift, then we got the 17 SR5 P. I decided to go with Kings w/resi. @ 2.5” in front with 2” OME springs in the rear, great ride on and off road but pricey. Anywho take your time, these vehicles do pretty well right out off the box.

EC6C365C-C048-4E41-B8FC-50CD6536B2FB.jpg

nimby and Mhamo77[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 23, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Check out some of the builds on here, everyone has a different purpose so just research and research. You have plenty of time with how backed up everything is because of covid.

Mhamo77[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 23, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    My lift just got delivered today well part of it. I went with Bilsteins 6112 (canceled my 5100’s because out of stock everywhere) for the front and 5160’s for the rear with an icon 2” spring. Planning on installing this Saturday and get it aligned Monday. I chose these as in that price range 1500 or less for a lift that spends 85% time as a daily and the other 15% slow off road driving I didn’t need a 3-5k suspension setup like I had in the Tacoma. But with these you get a 2.5” shock body with better valving and more room for oil dispersement.

5. Sep 26, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    Started at 8:30 this morning, had the front done by 10:30. Easiest lift install I’ve done. Set driver at 7 and passenger side at 6. I know the instructions said 5 but my daughter and wife ride on that side plus the dometic is in the back on that side. Rear took a little longer than the front since I wasn’t using spring compressors. My son helped lift the opposite side I was working on so I could jam the extended icon spring in the back. Wrapped it up and went for a drive after playing with the alignment around 1:30. Taking it to get tires put on Monday and will have them check my alignment work but I feel like I got 99% spot on doing the ruler and compass technique. (Write up on TW).

From the ground to bottom fender

front driver : 37.5”
    Front passenger : 37.25”
    Rear driver : 39
    Rear passenger : 39

gained 2.5 front
    1.5-1.75 in the rear. Sits perfect for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top