1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Narrower Wheel for Tall Skinnies?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Snickel Fritz, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jan 4, 2019 at 6:37 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    So, I think that title isn't as much a question of whether or not a narrower wheel would make finding narrower tires better, but moreso a question about WHERE to find these wheels?

I just found an aftermarket site that I have never heard of, which has some pretty good looking TRD Pro knockoffs. If FN FX Pros were in 7" width I would get them in a heartbeat, but they are 8" wide, an increase of .5" over the Trail/Off Road stock alloys.
    Increasing wheel width means that the mounted diameter of tires is decreased slightly, and since most stated diameters on websites are based on a 7" rim for the sizes I look at, that means that I am looking at a smaller realistic diameter than those sites show just by sticking with the stock 7.5" wheels.
    The TRD Pro Sema wheels weigh the same (or almost) as my stock alloys, so I don't want those.

Oh, here is the TRD Pro knockoff that says it is in 17"x7"-
    https://www.oewheelsllc.com/TY16-17070-satin-graphite-rims-fit-Toyota-4Runner

I wish they had the weight listed, AND that I could find reviews for them (google just refuses to narrow searches down and instead gives crap results as usual anymore).

My goal is to get a tire 255 or narrower. So far these have been looking like winners They are P rated and weigh 2 lbs less than the stock tires, while having a narrower profile, slightly higher diameter (supposedly) and tread pattern that has gotten great reviews.

Of course, I haven't bothered to dig into 18" wheels/tires, though I'm about to do a cursory search after I post this.

So, do you know of any places to find my unicorn? Do you know of a way to keep weight down while going say, 235/80(85)/17? What about 235-245/70-80/18?
    Oh, and I'm not going to look at t4r. They didn't have what I needed to know there, I spent months scouring the archives and my questions were not already answered there.

BestGen likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    For the extra 200.00,I would grab the black ones from Toyota. Fyi, the TRD rims are 17x7 with 4mm off set. The older trail rims are 17x7.5... From what I'm told. From what I have found while searching for rubber is the 235/80r17 only come in E rating. Keeps them at or over 40lbs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Snickel Fritz [OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    I am sorry I can’t answer your questions in regards to width but I can attest the quality and top notch service from Dustin at FN Wheels. I had a set on my Tacoma and they were a super light weight but stout made rim. Can’t say enough good things.

4. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    A quick look on tiresize shows 255 being the thinnest in a 18" no weight savings.

5. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    Yeah, I just went on discount and every 18" tire I saw was heavier and more expensive, often with a smaller mounted diameter.

17" is what I'll be sticking with.

6. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    I was sooooo close to buying some FX Pros a few months ago. Dustin really is a great guy, very personable and eager to help.
    I decided to hold off until I could get more info about the rest of his offerings though, because apparently he has a handful of other wheels which are pretty much a secret unless you ask about them directly. I would LOVE a set of FNs in 17x7, if they are made that narrow. Can you imagine the weight savings?

Oh, and here's another few tires I was looking at. My primary use for my Runner is around town/highway, so if I get these and some nice light alloys... weight savings BIG time!
    Highway- Mild A/T-

7. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    What about a 20"? If you can find a lite rim.

8. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    I do *occasionally* do some light off road driving, and although I'm sure some people do that on 20s, I don't want to try.
    Besides, despite being a function-over-form guy, I can't stand the look of 20" wheels. I'm not even thrilled with most modern truck wheels period, too flashy, shiny, full of fake beadlocks and useless rivets...

BestGen likes this.
  9. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:18 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    I here you, I'm an old 15 inch guy myself. Quick look at 20" would bump the price tag up also.

10. Jan 5, 2019 at 2:18 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Have a long way to go before the BFG KO2's in the stock 265/70/17 size are worn out but I am contemplating putting 255/75/17's on next. Either Yokohama Geolanders or Hancook Dynapros. I like 'em skinny.:burp:

Here is cool calculator that compares sizes...

11. Jan 7, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    So the more I look at tires, the more I am drawn to the Nokian offerings. Why? WEIGHT. Having an A/T with 3 lbs. less weight than the stock highway tires sounds cool to me.
    Now I have to go look for 255, 245 and 235 widths on their website to see what they offer (Discount really doesn't have the tires I want in the sizes I want, dammit).
    Oh, and that oewheels company I linked to up top? Look, but don't touch! Really, they do have a lot of bad reviews, so please don't just assume that they are a good product before researching them yourselves. I was NOT promoting them when I linked them, and I didn't manage to find bad reviews until AFTER I linked. Sorry, peeps.

12. Jan 7, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    The trd-pro wheels are 7" width vs. the stock SR5 rims at 7.5" width? Do I have that correct?

13. Jan 7, 2019 at 10:02 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    Yep. Although, I would like to know how much the Toyota wheels weigh, exactly (both options). No sense in getting narrower wheels if they weigh the same as my stock ORP's.

Edit: Oh, and the SR5/TRD-OR wheels are essentially the same specs all around, as far as I have found.

4runningMan likes this.
  14. Jan 7, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    Shoot. I just got new tires (265-70) because I didn't think our trucks could take a 255-75-17 tire. I thought the 265-70-17 was the biggest.

15. Jan 7, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    I love the look of tall skinny tires. Looks kinda retro for some reason.

BestGen and Snickel Fritz [OP] like this.
  16. Jan 7, 2019 at 10:18 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    The 255/75/17s are only a hair taller, thanks to the bead being fit on a 7.5" rim instead of a 7" rim (which would still only make them slightly taller over the 7.5")

235/80/17s can also be fit, though the E load tires weigh more than the P rated 265/70s.

In general, the narrower the tire, the taller you can make the sidewall while staying within operable parameters (to a point) because the height is pulled down a bit by fitting on the rim. With 7" wheels, 235/80s are about as tall/skinny as I would go, and those just might rub on some individual rigs. I'll be happy to run 255s on the 7.5, but would like to run the (hopefully lighter?) 7" with 245/75.

This is a lot of analysis though. My head hurts. Need beer.

BestGen, WallyT4R and 4runningMan like this.
  17. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    BestGen

BestGen Huge Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    1988 4Runner 22RE/W56, '93 G144 4.88s, Spartan Locker, AllPro Sliders, BFG 33/10.5s, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs
    33"KM2s, 4.88s, Spartan Locker, TG rear bumper, AllPro Kickout sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs.
    Great thread! I've been a huge proponent of stock rims and skinny tires for the last 20 years. I've always run my oem wheels on my 4Runner. When BFG came out with the 33/10.5/15 KM2, I immediately mounted some on the stock 15x6" rims. They fit without a lift but rubbed a little during hard wheeling. Did the pinch weld mod in front. IMG_0350.jpgIMG_0349.jpg I recently picked up a new to me '05 Tundra(why I haven't been on here much lately)and it came with some crappy aftermarket 16x8.5" Eagle alloys which I promptly sold on CL. CL also is where I found some excellent condition 17x7.5 TE rims. Mounted up some BFG KO2s size 34/10.5/17.IMG_2584.jpgIMG_1867.jpg IMG_1119.jpg

18. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:42 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    I'm going nuts here...

Can't find a single aftermarket manufacturer for 17" x 7" (or less) 6 x 5.5 106mm bore wheel, except for 30 lb. 2-piece steelies or that poorly made knock-off company.
    Really dug into the interwebs and checked many sites, many forums and archives to confirm my disappointment.

WHY? What the hell, manufacturers? Many of us want/need tall skinnies. Many of us want/need wheels that aren't gaudy as hell, we don't like deep dish d-baggery, we often don't like those pointless fake beadlocks and rivets and sh!t.

I'm seriously cranky over this, as is probably obvious. I would just order the OEM TRD Semas, but of course they are on stop-order AGAIN. I would've loved a set of FNs, but they do not make wheels for narrower tires. They cater to the "285 KO2 w/ lift" crowd exclusively, so they are permanently out of the running.

Does anyone have a lead on a way to get a proper lightweight allow for tires narrower than 265?

Watt maker and 4runningMan like this.
  19. Jan 10, 2019 at 12:17 AM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    It's unfortunate. The world likes phat things at the moment. Was it Canon or Nike back in the 80's that said "image is everything"? I blame them. Maybe it was Andre Agassi.

20. Jan 10, 2019 at 12:35 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    Ah, Andre Agassi- a guy that had almost zero relevance to the U.S., yet was thrust upon our eyeballs due to his unwarranted hubris. I was still a kid during his limelight-heyday, but I remember seeing him everywhere for years.

It permeates everything, doesn't it? Clothing is the worst, though consumer goods and automotive accessories are a close 2nd and 3rd in my opinion. At least in the automotive accessory side of things we have manufacturers that *sorta* cater to the actual market instead of just dumping stuff on the shelves and telling us in advance what our tastes are gonna be. Lately these wheel companies just disgust me. It's like they're all TJ Maxx or Ross- bedazzled junk rejected by South Africa/South America for having too many rhinestones.

Liberace must be alive and designing all of these wheels!

nimby and 4runningMan like this.
  21. Jan 10, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    HOLY CRAP!!! :bananadance:

WallyT4R likes this.
  22. Jan 10, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    We're just gettin old.

23. Jan 10, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    So, I'm having a hard time determining what your goals are here. It sounds like you want to downsize your tire width to 255 and fit a light, MPG-friendly set of tires that will also hold up to a few trips on graded roads here and there. You are also trying to get a light 17" wheel to reduce unsprung mass.

Why are you so convinced that you have to have a 7" wheel width to achieve this?

A 255 width tire (divided by 25.4 mm) is still a 10" wide tire. A quick look at recommended wheel widths for most manufacturers (let's say Yokohama Geolandar) ranges from 6.5 to 9". An 8 inch wide wheel will look and perform as intended. In fact, if I mounted a 255 tire to a 7" and an 8" wheel each, I bet you'd have a hard time telling the difference.

The FN six shooter is my recommendation. It's the only wheel in their lineup with a flow-formed barrel, which is lighter and stronger than a pure cast wheel. They weigh 20.5 pounds each, which is a savings of 9 lbs over the stock Trail wheels. You're not going to get a greater bang for the buck than that. I believe Rays have started making their lightweight forged TE37 wheels in 4Runner-friendly sizes, but those can cost close to $1000 per wheel after shipping from Japan.

Up to you dude.

BestGen likes this.
  24. Jan 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    nimby

nimby New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White SR5P 4WD
    Eibach Shocks; Trail Wheels; Grill Marker Lights
    I don't like any of the aftermarket wheels out there either.

I ended up putting some Trail wheels on my SR5. They are 7.5" wide, but I heard they were around 22 lbs each. That's hearsay though, so that figure could be wrong.

If it's a 7" wheel you're after, I would go for a used TRD wheel (providing you're ok with the look).

25. Jan 10, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
  26. Jan 10, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    I'm actually interested in narrower than 255- but will likely have to settle for 255/75/17. I know that the slight decrease in diameter is hard for some to spot with 255s on a rim width larger than 7", but if I want to go with 245s or 235s it will be greatly pronounced. I want only a minor increase in diameter, because otherwise it seems that I'll be taking a decrease with a narrower tire. I wouldn't mind so much. but I'm already showing more than 1 mph higher on the dash than in reality (at 24 mph I'm showing 25).
    The thing is, there are virtually no lightweight wheels (none that I have found) available that would properly accommodate a narrower tire. Although I like the simplicity of FNs (and SCSs) they are admittedly made specifically for fat tires, and Dustin even suggests that if someone wants to run skinnies, they should go with the TRD Semas or another narrow wheel brand. I've looked at the Rays, Enkeis, Volks etc. but the sites I've found them on either omit specs (weight, bore size, bs/os) or they are priced ridiculously high as you said. Besides, they really are a bit too delicate for where I drive, even if they have amazing lightness. I'd be okay with something like an SCS or FN in 17 x 7.
    I really don't want to give up and do what everyone else does, just because that's what everyone else does. Somewhere out there is a wheel that meets my criteria, which is why I'm asking for others to maybe help kick over some rocks, or share if they already know of some. I mean, it's not really an oddball criteria for wheels, they used to be skinnier- and they sometimes still are overseas... but then they get stupid expensive. Fat tires are almost always a fad pick, they just don't make sense for the vast majority of on/off road driving that people do in this country. Yes they are helpful in swamps, on sand, or over deep powder but every other scenario is better tackled with a narrower tire, and they have benefits for on road handling, braking, and fuel economy. There is every reason for some company to make and sell a decent narrow wheel for our application, instead of doing what most every manufacturer does- catering to dudebros. I would not care one whit about *some* of the market catering to that segment... but *all* of the market? Really? We adults need products too!

nimby likes this.
  27. Jan 10, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    I'd love a steelie in 7 or 6 wide... but they also weigh as much or more than my stock alloys. I won't wish for a 16" wheel to fit though, because frankly our brakes rock. That's a compromise I can accept!

Stock SR5/TE/OR wheels seem to be ~29 lbs from everything I have read.

The 17 x 7 TRDs vary wildly- there are some I saw for $354 that were brushed aluminum, and listed as 30 lbs, while the Semas in black/graphite are listed anywhere from 23.8 to 28 lbs. Imagine getting a "set" of Semas, and having some at 24 lbs while others were 28!

28. Jan 10, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    Damn. I never woulda guessed the steelies like that would weigh more than the alloys. Simply because of the thickness of the alloys.

29. Jan 10, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    They average 29 to 30 lbs, I weighed mine while I was waiting for someone to but them off me. FN six shooters are 20.5 each.

Look man, I really admire your dogged determination on this (really, I spend a lot of time adding cool parts to my project car, and as a result it spends more time on jackstands than actually being driven).

However, I must say you're splitting hairs and spinning your tires over minutia. No amount of money you spend on the perfect tire/wheel combo is going to save you enough in gas to come even CLOSE to breaking even.

Also, I'm not sure what scenario you're picturing yourself in where "dudebros" with one-inch wider tires are stuck on the trail and forced to acknowledge your offroad prowess as you rock-crawl past them with your slightly skinnier tires and 0.4 better MPG.

If you find a wheel made for a 4Runner's GWVR in 17x7 and it's lighter than 20 lbs, more power to you. I really hope you find what you're looking for. But I also hope you won't be disappointed when it doesn't really yield the advantages you're discussing, at least in any meaningful metric.

BestGen and SlvrSlug like this.
  30. Jan 10, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    Although increased fuel economy is a benefit that I would like to enjoy, that is not my primary reason for wanting a narrower tire... nor am I seeking the best tire for off roading. My reason for wanting a tall skinny/light wheel setup is to enjoy *all* of the benefits. The on road manners are the biggest draw for me personally. I wouldn't expect to break even *soon*, but with a low cost on the wheels/tires, combined with a rising fuel cost in the future- it could very well happen. I won't be upset if it doesn't though, because there are myriad other benefits that I would be enjoying even if the net cost is slightly higher in the long run over stock.

I also see no scenario where I wheel past dudebros with one inch wider tires... my comment on them was more of a comment on the industry, and somewhat on those that always pop into these threads with "dude, you should get 285 KO2s on Icon wheels, mine kick ass and look so aggressive I swear to god they are amazing on all surfaces and never cup stop asking about pizza cutters yada yada". The thing is, the manufacturers tout their 17" wheels as "off road" wheels, and they specifically design them for fat tires. They didn't primarily design them for off road use- they designed them to cater to the vanity of those that want huge tires with fat stances, and often lots of fake little rivets and beadlocks, flashy machined edging etc. I can understand that some like the very things that I do not- and I do not begrudge them that at all. In fact, I get a warm fuzzy when I see anyone enjoy their vehicle how they want. If I sound salty towards the brodozer crowd, it's because the market ignores almost everyone else right now, *and* because some of the dudebros drown out discourse between those that actually want to voice their own, different wants. I stopped researching some forums after seeing every thread on tall skinnies get jacked, with a bunch of commenters bragging on their fat heavies.

Oh, and yes 20.5 sounds amazing, but I would settle for a few pounds more. I can compromise on weight a bit, though if SCS or FN did bother to make a narrower wheel it would likely be frickin awesome.

To Top