1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Must see places or "detours" in PA?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by IWontMissMyCar, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Aug 9, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    IWontMissMyCar

IWontMissMyCar [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5
    Good evening everyone. I recently, last week, got a 2021 SR5. I'll be venturing from MI to PA for a few days. Doing some site seeing in Philly and taking the scenic route back home. Anyone know of some must see/do trails, fire roads, etc? When we got our Silverado years ago we did a similar trip to the Allegheny National Forest and had a blast hitting some 2 tracks. Looking for a similar experience this trip. I have an appointment to ditch the stock Dunlops this week for some 255/75/17 Duratracs. Not looking to go crazy, I'm departing with less than 250 miles on the 4R, but if I can get a little muddy, see some sites, and stay off the pavement a while I'll be happy!

2. Aug 10, 2021 at 6:42 AM
    PrettyGoodSam

PrettyGoodSam New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Trail
    where in philly will you be? I live there if you want any tips. if you wanna go a little further to NJ, there are a lot of great trails in the pine barrens. in PA, there is bald eagle state forest and michaux which have some easier trails i believe. if you are on face book, check out the central pa overland group page or the northeast 4x4 group page as well. a lot of people there will know more than i will. whens the trip?

3. Aug 10, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    IWontMissMyCar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5
    Leaving Friday evening, overnighting in Pittsburgh. Saturday morning driving to Ghettysburg then over to Philly. Spending Saturday-Monday there, visiting the historical sites. Heading north monday night and finding a place to crash along route 6 while coming back west. Heading the rest of the way home on tuesday.

4. Aug 10, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    IWontMissMyCar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5
    I'm open for suggestions on stuff to do in Philadelphia, looks like most of the stuff we want to do is only open until 5pm, with the exception of the East State Penitentiary twilight tours.

5. Aug 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    PrettyGoodSam

PrettyGoodSam New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Trail
    eastern state is in my neighborhood but ill be out of town til the 18th :/
    check out zorbas for incredible greek food. its on fairmount avenue like a block from eastern state and its BYO which is a plus. there is a state store on 19th and fairmount if need be. the art museum is also in that neighborhood. bishops collar is a great corner neighborhood bar with decent food and draft list as well.

if you are doing the historical stuff in old city, campos on market street has good cheesesteaks.
    franklin fountain on market between front and 2nd is an old timey ice cream parlor. it is pricey, but its a cool place.
    There is also the independence seaport museum on the water near the historical sites.
    PJ clarkes is a restaurant in the curtis building at 6th and walnut, they have a great raw bar and good food. its across from washington square park, which is on the tail end of independence mall.

reading terminal market is a few blocks up from old city and its got so much great food, including dinics roast pork which has been voted best sandwich in america. they also have amish vendors so you dont have to drive through lancaster haha.

chinatown is right next to reading terminal as well. too many good food choices to list.

city hall is really cool although i am not sure if they are doing tours. there is a new outdoor beer garden a block or two down on jfk boulevard and LOVE park is right there as well. also a great coffee place called la colombe across the street.

let me know where else you are headed or if you want any other food suggestions! i can go on forever haha.

where in philly are you staying?

6. Aug 10, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    IWontMissMyCar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5
    Staying at the Ritz-Carlton. My fiance's birthday was last weekend and we usually do some sort of trip but last weekend didn't work in our favor. She booked the rooms, I'm in charge of the entertainment. I appreciate the input, always nice to get a locals opinion! Looks like I'll have to add a few stops to the itinerary.

Products Discussed in

To Top