1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Might buy a 5th gen need some advice.

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by donniegood, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Apr 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM
    donniegood

donniegood [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all,

I'm new here but I come seeking advice. I am looking to buy a 5th gen and wondered if I could get some opinions.

Some back story first. I have a 14 GMC Sierra, I drive about 800-1k miles a week so alot of time in the vehicle. I've come to loathe my Sierra only because of the awful transmission. It shifts like a 4 year old learning stick. I have done everything I can to make it better including a custom Dyno tune to no avail. I cannot handle it anymore longer so I am looking to replace it .
    I do not tow or really haul anything of substance that requires a truck I just prefer the ride height and command of the road a truck brings. I think a 4runner is a good solution for me but I want to be prepared for any wonky things I will feel out with that much road time.

I currently am in a rental 4runner and haven't noticed anything. However this is a 19 I'll be likely getting a 14-16. I am between a sr5 premium or a limited. I do not have many off road needs, the one thing I am concerned of losing is speed from my truck. With my custom tune it has excellent pickup and go and speed.

Please share your opinions, I know they will be biased but I need opinions of the people that use these every day

2. Apr 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    SCgman

SCgman New Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner SR5 4wd
    Front plate bracket install Step hitch insert install Cargo area Pet barrier Protective seat covers Front seats Yakima roof rack- detachable Rear molle storage panels w/ Connecting shelf
    I'm on my second 5th gen. 4runner since July of '17. Both of mine were purchased new, the first a leftover '16 SR5 4wd that I traded last October on a new '18, almost identical SR5. I can not tell any difference in the way the two drive, they are equal in performance, comfort and handling. The '18 does have running boards that as far as I'm concerned are a must if you need access to the roof at all on these vehicles. My gas mileage on each is the same 19.4 mixed use over the life of the ride.

3. Apr 18, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    SCgman

SCgman New Member

Member:
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner SR5 4wd
    Front plate bracket install Step hitch insert install Cargo area Pet barrier Protective seat covers Front seats Yakima roof rack- detachable Rear molle storage panels w/ Connecting shelf
    My only complaint about the two I have owned is the operation and location of the cruise control. I would prefer a steering wheel surfaced button versus a lever. If the lever were located on the left side I likely wouldn't be mentioning this at all.

4. Apr 18, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    donniegood

Member:
    I have found that to be such a weird quirk. I know leaving my GMC behind I'm losing some creature comforts like the robust information system etc. I'm debating the limited mostly because it might soften the blow from GMC to the old school of the 4runner.

5. Apr 18, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    yeah about that...you might want to look into a supercharger then. The 4runner does most things really well, accelerating really quickly is not one of them.

Backslider likes this.
  6. Apr 18, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    donniegood

Member:
    Any specific threads I should check out

7. Apr 19, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
  8. Apr 19, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    jgcaps

jgcaps Lovin the Colorado Life.!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD ORP KDSS 4Runner
    3" Icon Stage 2, 18x9 Fuel Beast wheels, 285/65/18 BFG KO2's, N-FAB Black Rock Rails w/removable steps.
    PEDAL COMMANDER :yes:

:crapstorm:

jester243 likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Welcome! :thumbsup:

The only thing you will miss is the power, but I feel the 4 has plenty of power, it's just not overwhelming. Just push the gas down in your rental to mimic a power commander, does the same thing, and you will know if you want a 4 or not. The older ones ('14-'16) are the same as your 2019 so seriously evaluate your rental. Good luck with your decision.

Products Discussed in

To Top