1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine running on 5 cylinders after running for a while

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Al 2000 4runner, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Jul 8, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    Al 2000 4runner

Al 2000 4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Pacifica ca
    Vehicle:
    20004runner
    Lift kit
    When I shut my engine down after I’ve been driving it for a while whether to get gas or just Park it going to a store when I come back out to start it up it’s running on five cylinders then when I park it turn it off let it cool down when I start it up again it’s running normal on six cylinders any advise what it might be Sure could use some help on this one

2. Jul 8, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Disclaimer...not a mechanic...but when is the last time you replaced all your plugs..had the gaps checked...tested your coils or fuel injectors?

4scooter19 likes this.
  3. Jul 9, 2019 at 6:19 AM
    Al 2000 4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Pacifica ca
    Vehicle:
    20004runner
    Lift kit
    Truck is new to me came with new heads timing belt new sensors plugs and wires supposedly everything from heads up turns gray wire 96 cylinders truck is new to me came with new heads timing belt new sensors plugs and wires supposedly everything from heads up

4. Jul 9, 2019 at 6:28 AM
    Al 2000 4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Pacifica ca
    Vehicle:
    20004runner
    Lift kit
    I was thinking injector or coil I’ll have to look into it to see how I Can get them checked out can I check them out is there a way to do it or do I have to take it to a shop thanks for your help

5. Jul 9, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    Not a mechanic either, but you could swap coils and see if the problem follows the coil.

6. Jul 9, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    4X4Runner

4X4Runner The Anti Pro, Pro! Staff Member

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    Mad driver mod. OME Suspension. 285/70R17 BFG AT KO2
    I had this happen once. Had a 93 4Runner with the 3.Slow. When warm is would misfire and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why. I replaced the plugs, checked the wires and was left scratching my head. One night I decided to take one more look before heading out on a 70 day patrol and leaving the wife with a buggered 4Runner. Busted out the flashlight and popped the hood. Fired it up and let it get to operating temp. Started listening for vacuum leaks and such and was getting more and more frustrated as it started misfiring again. I turned the flashlight off and then it hit me like a flash of light. Quite literally. On the middle cylinder on the passenger side I could see arcing. Somehow, someway a pinhole has developed in the spark plug wire and it was arcing to the engine block. Pulled the wire off the block and the misfire went away. So, next day I ran out and got all new plug wires and left on patrol happy that it was fixed.

Maybe pop the hood at night with it running and see if you notice any flashing as the spark is shorted to ground before the plugs.

aroyalsfan, TWJLee and 4Runner fun like this.
  7. Jul 9, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    I think there are ways to check but you need some sort of voltage reader and need to know what the voltages are supposed to be anyway, but like @4scooter19 swap the coils and see if the problem follows that coil. Sounds like they replaced everything else? Even the ignition wires? If those didn't get replaced one of the ends could of got damaged during the plug swap if they happened to yank it off carelessly.

8. Jul 9, 2019 at 2:53 PM
    Al 2000 4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Pacifica ca
    Vehicle:
    20004runner
    Lift kit
    Thanks for all the good ideas going to try all of them this weekend I’ll let you know what I find out. Thanks again everyone.

ManBeast likes this.
  9. Oct 10, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    Al 2000 4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Pacifica ca
    Vehicle:
    20004runner
    Lift kit
    Turned out to be bad injectors replaced all of them motor runs great now thanks everyone for your info

SlvrSlug and aroyalsfan like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top